Funfetti Cake Batter Milkshake

Last week, the hubster and I ventured out to Dairy Queen.  We both had a craving for ice cream…well, more so the hubster, (he practically eats some every night), so we decided it was a DQ kinda night.  We both usually get the same thing…a French silk pie blizzard for the hubster, and either the brownie batter blizzard or some other type of cake-filled one for me. But when we walked in the door, I immediately spotted a colorful poster advertising a funfetti cake batter blizzard. Funfetti? In a blizzard? Well, sign me up!

CBMS4 1024x768 Funfetti Cake Batter Milkshake

As we settled down at a table outside to enjoy our frozen treats, I eagerly took a bite of my blizzard. “Whoa…frosting overload!” was the first thing that came out of my mouth. Vanilla ice cream was blended with sprinkles and frosting, lots of frosting! A little too sweet for me, seeing as I’m not really a frosting kind of gal. I’m the type that usually scrapes the frosting off the tops of cakes and cupcakes because it’s just too much sweetness for me. Don’t judge, guys…I much prefer to eat the actual cake instead! But back to the blizzard…while I was able to eat most of it, I decided that this would not be my new favorite treat from DQ. Sigh…I had such high hopes for this blizzard!

CBMS1 1024x768 Funfetti Cake Batter Milkshake

A few days later, I was still thinking about that funfetti blizzard and how it just wasn’t what I expected. So the idea popped into my head. I bet I could create my own frozen treat, tone down the sweetness a bit, but still maintain that funfetti cake-batter goodness. Yep, I was on a mission. So, let me introduce you to this deliciously, sweet (but not too sweet), Funfetti Cake Batter Milkshake!

CBMS8 1024x768 Funfetti Cake Batter Milkshake

Creamy vanilla ice cream, swirled with funfetti cake batter creates this smooth and indulgent Funfetti Cake Batter Milkshake! Unlike my Dairy Queen fiasco, this shake has just the right about of cake batter sweetness to it. I was so impressed with how this turned out, that I quickly whipped up another one for the hubster. After all, he’s the true ice cream expert in our house!

CBMS10 768x1024 Funfetti Cake Batter Milkshake

Just three simple ingredients is all it takes to create this delicious milkshake. I used vanilla almond milk in place of regular milk to give it an added touch of flavor. And don’t forget the sprinkles! I added extra sprinkles into the milkshake to give it a pretty pop of color. After all, what would a Funfetti Cake Batter Milkshake be without sprinkles?

CBMS11 768x1024 Funfetti Cake Batter Milkshake

CBMS6 768x1024 Funfetti Cake Batter Milkshake

Funfetti Cake Batter Milkshake

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Yield: 2

Ingredients

• 6 scoops vanilla ice cream
  • Half box mix of Funfetti cake mix
  • ¾ cup milk (I used vanilla almond milk, but any kind will do)
  • 2 teaspoons sprinkles, plus extra for garnish (if desired)

Instructions

1. In the canister of a blender, combine the ice cream, cake mix, milk, and sprinkles.
  2. Blend until reaches desired consistency.
  3. Top with additional sprinkles, if desired.
  4. Serve immediately.
  5. Enjoy!
 Funfetti Cake Batter Milkshake

Lovely comments

• Gayle says

Thanks, Medha! The cake mix makes the shake taste like cake batter and gives it just the right amount of sweetness!

• Gayle says

Glad you’re the same way with frosting, too, Leah! I would definitely eat a cake with no frosting as well! And I think you would love this milkshake! Just the right amount of sweetness, and no frosting!

1. says

I love that you used actual cake mix in this recipe, this sounds sooooo delicious! I like frosting, but sometimes it’s too sweet and overpowers everything. I love that this is just simple and easy to make!
    Danielle recently posted…New Blog Design!My Profile

• Gayle says

Thanks so much, Danielle! The cake mix gives this shake the cake batter taste, without having to use frosting!

• Gayle says

Thanks, Arpita! This shake is so easy to whip up, and definitely husband-approved! My husband has already requested this shake more than once since I made it. I hope you like it if you try it!

• Gayle says

Thanks so much, Cheri! This funfetti milkshake turned out deliciously sweet with true cake batter flavor! If you like cake batter, then this is definitely the shake for you!

• Gayle says

I like your thinking, Izzy! I can definitely pretend that this is a drink and not dessert! The ice cream is dairy, which is good for you, right? :)

2. says

My husband is like yours, eats ice cream constantly, loves it! I guess all men love ice cream though, don’t they? Even went to DQ once ourselves but I would much rather make your cake batter milkshakes.

I used to work an an ice cream shop and would advice everyone out there to make your own milkshakes, don’t go out if you can help it if sanitation is a big thing for you!! I couldn’t believe what other workers would do, hello double dipping. Love the funfetti. Could even serve these at a birthday party with a funfetti cake, who wouldn’t love that!!!
    Laura @ Raise Your Garden recently posted…Keeping Deer Out of the GardenMy Profile

• Gayle says

Yes, I definitely think most men love ice cream, Laura! And while I like it too, I just can’t bring myself to have it every night.

I’m sure you saw a lot of not-so good things when working at the ice cream shop…I can only imagine! And yes, this would be great for a kid’s birthday party! So fun and festive!

• Gayle says

Thanks so much, Kathi! Homemade ones are definitely better. You can control the ingredients, the taste, and the size. Definitely a plus in my book!

• Gayle says

Isn’t it funny how we usually end up going back to our tried and true favorites? The banana cream pie blizzard does sound good, Dorothy! Almost as good as this funfetti shake! :)

• Gayle says

Thanks, Marcie! I like DQ, too, but you’re right…it’s always better to control what goes into your glass. And in this case, I knew exactly what I was getting and how much sweetness to add. Isn’t funfetti the best? :)

3. says

We don’t have a Dairy Queen nearby, which is both the best thing and the worst thing. Good, because it saves me from myself. Bad, because I getting little blizzards at Dairy Queen! When we’re on roadtrips I always have to stop at a Dairy Queen and get a Reese’s blizzard. The best!

That is SO SMART to use the cake batter mix in the milkshake! I was thinking you’d have to make a whole cake, which I would probably eat before it ever got a chance to make it into the milkshake. This sounds just delicious Gayle!
    Natalie @ Tastes Lovely recently posted…Five Things for FridayMy Profile

• Gayle says

Reese’s blizzard are delicious, Natalie! It seems like we have a DQ on every corner around here (along with a variety of other ice cream and frozen yogurt places), but luckily, I can control myself, for the most part! :)

This milkshake is definitely super easy with just using the cake mix and not the actual cake. Although that would be even tastier with chunks of cake in here!

• Gayle says

Thanks so much, Archana! I think this milkshake would be perfect for you! Sweet enough, with true cake batter flavor! Thanks for stopping by!

• Gayle says

Thanks, Kathy! I think you and your daughter would love this shake! I definitely think this is better than DQ’s…tastes home-made, and is creamy and delicious!

• Gayle says

Well hopefully you will give this Funfetti shake a try, Erin! I think it definitely rivals Dairy Queen.

• Gayle says

Thanks, Denise! The funfetti blizzard was just ok, but this shake is amazing! It was a first for me, but definitely not the last!

• Gayle says

Thanks, Ashley! Sprinkles definitely make everything better! :) You know, I was never really a milkshake person until the past few years, either. But ever since I received a new blender for my wedding shower last year, I’ve been whipping them up like crazy!

• Gayle says

Thanks, Jess! This shake is super easy to make, no baking required! It will definitely cure your sweet tooth, too.

• Gayle says

Sometimes Mondays just feel like DQ days, right? I hope you like this shake if you try it, Kelly! It’s so easy to make, you can control what goes into your glass, and it’s better than Dairy Queen (in my opinion). :)

4. says

My husband and kids love ice cream. If they could have it every night they would. I wouldn’t have thought to use a cake mix in a milkshake? Smart way to get that actual cake flavor :D My daughter was just saying she wants to make milkshakes tonight. I’ll have to show her your recipe.
    Cindy @ Pick Fresh Foods recently posted…Mexican Spinach DipMy Profile

• Gayle says

Thanks, Cindy! The cake batter gives you the funfetti flavor, without actually putting chunks of cake in here. I think your daughter would love this shake! It would be easy for her to whip up, and I’m sure she (and your husband) would love the flavor. I hope you enjoy if you and your family try this!

5. says

Fantastic treat, Gayle! You would never in a million years find anything like this over in Europe, so I love reading posts like this that introduce me to something new. I would never have thought to add in a box of cake batter. I bet you could do the same with all sorts of different flavours! :-)
    Helen @ Scrummy Lane recently posted…Fennel, peach & parmesan saladMy Profile

• Gayle says

Thanks so much, Helen! I’m glad you learned something new! :) And yes, this would be wonderful to try with different mixes. Now my mind is swirling with ideas…:)

• Gayle says

I agree, Consuelo…the cake always wins in my book! And this shake is definitely better than a store bought one!

6. says

Shut the front door! Cake mix in ice cream? That is ridiculously amazing. Um, I have to try this on my siblings asap. My mom might not appreciate the 7 am milkshake for breakfast route ;) If we can have ice cream for breakfast, then we can rock the milkshake for breakfast! :)
    Mary Frances recently posted…{Vegan} German Chocolate Banana BreadMy Profile

• Gayle says

It is so easy to whip up and tastes exactly like cake batter! I hope your siblings love this if they try it, Mary Frances!

7. says

We would make the perfect cake eating team. I’m a lick-the-frosting-off-the-cake kind of girl. I could skip on the cake part entirely! This milkshake looks like such a great summer treat! What an awesome recipe, my son just saw me checking it out and said “Mommy I want one of those!” ..me too!

• Gayle says

Sounds like we would be a perfect, cake-eating match! This shake is great for the summer and tastes just like cake batter. I think your son (and you, too) would love this!

8. says

There are four kids in my family, two of us prefer cake, while the other two prefer the frosting. At every single birthday party or celebration we have ever gone to you could see the four of us huddled together scraping the icing off and trading it for the cake, or vice versa. Ha! Your story totally took me back!! :) I love this shake! It is fun, I bet it tastes fabulous! I need to make it for my frosting loving siblings!
    Annie @Maebells recently posted…Blueberry LemonadeMy Profile

• Gayle says

Sounds like you and your siblings made a great cake team, Annie! This shake definitely hits the spot. I’m sure your siblings would love it!

• Gayle says

Thanks for the kind words, Alyssa! I definitely agree that too much frosting makes cakes and cupcakes just too sweet. But this shake has just the right balance of it. Sweet, but not too sweet!

• Gayle says

Thanks so much for the kind words and pin, Danae! Cake batter milkshakes are now my favorite, especially with the simplicity of making these!

9. says

YUM! This is such a fun recipe!! I have never thought of adding funfetti to a milkshake… but that’s a creative idea! I have made funfetti cake batter dip which was straight up delicious!! YUM! :)
    Cailee recently posted…Healthy Treats!My Profile

• Gayle says

That funfetti dip sounds delicious, Cailee! I’m sure this shake would be right up your alley then…the perfect combination of sweetness and cake batter flavor!

• Gayle says

Thanks, Allison! Too much frosting is too sweet for me, but this shake has the perfect amount! So easy to make, too!

• Gayle says

Thanks, Karen! It’s definitely an easier method to making the shake, rather than baking a whole cake. I hope you like this if you try it!

10. says

I always get the same boring oreo blizzard every time I go to DQ. I really need to try something new. I love super sweet things so I would probably love their cake batter blizzard. And I’m sure would love this one too. Sprinkles are so much fun!

• Gayle says

Sounds like that cake batter blizzard would be right up your alley, Christin! And I’m sure you would love this milkshake, too. Creamy, sweet, and delicious!

11. says

How disappointing that the DQ blizzard wasn’t what you had hoped. But kinda awesome too, because then you created this goodness and shared it with us! :) Love this milkshake, especially with the extra sprinkles on top!

• Gayle says

It was a major disappointment because I usually love DQ blizzards! But you’re right…it inspired me to create this cake batter shake, which was even better than DQ. Thanks, Jocelyn!