Restaurant Style Salsa

It’s no secret that the hubster and I love going out for Mexican food. The atmosphere, tasty chips and salsa, and delicious frozen strawberry margaritas seem to lure us to our favorite spot once a month. It’s a meal that we always look forward to when the mood strikes. So when the hubster and I both got out of work early last Friday, it was a no-brainer…we headed to a Mexican restaurant for lunch. We chatted over chips and salsa and leisurely ate our entrees. It definitely hit the spot!

restaurant style salsa5 1024x768 Restaurant Style Salsa

The one thing that I always look forward to when going out for Mexican food is the tortilla chips and salsa.The hubster and I are pretty picky about this. Not every place can make these just right. The toritlla chips have to be crispy and fresh, while the salsa has to have mild spice, but nothing too overpowering. We’ve searched high and low to find just the perfect combination. Luckily, our favorite place meets our standards. The chips are always crunchy and the salsa has just the right combination of flavors and spice.

restaurant style salsa1 1024x768 Restaurant Style Salsa

So when the hubster and I had a craving for some chips and salsa last weekend, I decided to try my hand at making home-made salsa. After gathering the perfect ingredients, I whipped up this delicious Restaurant Style Salsa. With fresh tomatoes and just the right amout of seasonings, the salsa tasted like it came right from our favorite Mexican place. It was so fresh and tasty, that the hubster and I quickly decided that this tasted even better than salsa ordered at a restuarant! Yes, it tasted just that good!

restaurant style salsa10 1024x768 Restaurant Style Salsa

The best part of this recipe? You guessed it! It’s so simple to whip up because it’s made in the blender, and very versatile depending on yours tastes. I ommitted the jalapenos entirely in this salsa since the hubster and I do not like foods that are too spicy. But if you like a litte heat, feel free to add that in. A can of diced tomatoes, two roma tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper made up this Restaurant Style Salsa. And because you throw the ingredients into the blender, it takes just minutes to prepare! Simply chop your veggies and herbs, toss everything in the blender, mix, and voila! Home-made salsa that will wow your taste buds. Trust me guys, this salsa is amazing! I guarantee it will rival any Mexican restaurant that you love.

restaurant style salsa11 1024x768 Restaurant Style Salsa

Serve this Restaurant Style Salsa with tortilla chips, and you have yourself a deliciously fresh and tasty appetizer or snack!

restaurant style salsa8 1024x768 Restaurant Style Salsa

Restaurant Style Salsa

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Serving Size: 8

With fresh tomatoes and just the right amount of seasonings, this Restaurant Style Salsa will wow your taste buds!

Ingredients

• 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes with juice (I used basil, oregano, and garlic seasoned tomatoes)
  • 2 roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
  • Half red onion, roughly chopped
  • 1/4 cup cilantro
  • Juice of one lime
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1/2-1 jalapeno, seeds scraped out (optional)
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper

Instructions

1. In a blender, combine the diced tomatoes, roma tomatoes, onion, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, jalapeno (if using), cumin, sugar, salt, and pepper.
  2. Blend until reaches desired consistency.
  3. Adjust seasonings, if needed.
  4. Serve immediately with tortilla chips or refridgerate until ready to serve.
  5. Enjoy!

Notes

Salsa will keep in the refridgerator for up to five days. If you do not like hot flavored salsa, feel free to omit jalapenos.

Lovely comments

• Gayle says

Thanks, Bri! Sometimes I eat too many chips and salsa that I’m too full for the meal! But with this home-made salsa, I can eat it anytime I want, and so easy to make, too!

• Gayle says

This is definitely wonderful to have during the summer! And so easy to whip up…the blender literally does all of the work! I hope you try this out, Allison!

• Gayle says

I kinda wanted some of this salsa earlier today, too! What’s great about this recipe is that it’s so easy to customize depending on your tastes. And since it’s made in the blender, it takes the chunkiness right out!: )

• Gayle says

Yes, definitely frozen margaritas, Mir! My husband and I love the strawberry ones. Nothing better than a margarita and home-made salsa. And thanks for the kind words!

1. says

I love how this stores for 5 days! First day chips, next day with tacos, following day quasadillas….this list goes on and on! So many practical uses, goes with everything and tasty, delicious and nutritious.

Would love to add this as a link on my How-to Grow a Salsa garden post! Yum.

Love those chips at Mexican restaurants…..sometimes not even that hungry when dinner comes…opps.
    Laura recently posted…Walnut Leaf TeaMy Profile

• Gayle says

I like your thinking, Laura! This only lasted a few days in our house because my husband and I devoured it, but we did use it on tacos one night. I will have to try quesadillas next time!

Feel free to use this on your how to grow a salsa garden post, I would be honored! And I’m the exact same way as you, too…I always fill up on chips and salsa that I only end up eating a tiny portion of my meal!

• Gayle says

Thanks, Arpita! Since this salsa is made in the blender with almost no prep times, it’s made fast and just the way you like it!

• Gayle says

Thanks so much, Kathi! I have eaten chips and salsa for dinner before…but especially with this home-made salsa, it’s so hard to resist!

• Gayle says

I would definitely pick chips and salsa too, Natalie! Especially this salsa, because it literally takes almost no time to prepare, and it super delicious!

• Gayle says

Same with me, Cindy! My husband and I are very selective about our chips and salsa. But we both agreed that this was the best, hands down! I can’t wait to see your salsa recipe!

• Gayle says

Mexican food is the best, isn’t it? Especially with chips and salsa. Thanks so much for the pin, Marcie! I hope you like it if you try it!

2. says

This is pretty much exactly how I make my own salsa too. My husband and I love going to Mexican restaurants too, but here in the UK they are not that great (or maybe we are just spoilt from having been to Mexico), so we often make our own at home, as it is better than what we can get in our city.
    Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy recently posted…Healthy Pasta DishesMy Profile

• Gayle says

Isn’t this the best way to make salsa, DAnnii? I absolutely love it! Definitely way better than restaurants!

• Gayle says

Warm chips are the best, Julie! My husband loves that we can make this at home, because then he can have it whenever he wants!

• Gayle says

Mexican food is my kryptonite, Medha! I love it! The chips and salsa are the best. But now that I made this home-made version, I can have it anytime I want! Sounds like you would love this, too!

3. says

I love Mexican food! I could eat chips and salsa all day long, it’s soooo good. I always eat way too many when we go out to eat too. This salsa looks so fresh and delicious! I feel like I need a bowl right now :)
    Danielle recently posted…Liebster AwardMy Profile

• Gayle says

I do the exact same thing and always fill up on the chips and salsa! It’s so good, I forget that I have my dinner to eat! :)

• Gayle says

Sounds like your husband would love this, Michele! Please let me know how you like this if you try it!

• Gayle says

I’m glad you share my love of Mexican food! If my husband had his way, we’d probably eat it everyday, too! Please let me know what you think of this of you try it, Kathy!

4. says

You and I share similar salsa and chip standards! Yes, the salsa has to have the right amount of spices and crispy, crunchy tortilla chips are a deal breaker. Mexican food and atmosphere is perfect for relaxing! You nailed this salsa recipe, Gayle, and my family has been asking for the homemade version – pinning!
    Mary Frances recently posted…Watermelon Pineapple Limeade SlushieMy Profile

• Gayle says

I’m glad your chips and salsa specifications are as rigid as mine, Mary Frances! There’s just something about them that makes the whole experience more enjoyable. And thanks so much for the compliments and pin!

• Gayle says

It is almost acceptable to drink this salsa, Sarah! I won’t tell anyone! :) I hope you love this if you try it!

• Gayle says

I could definitely eat chips and salsa everyday, it’s just so tasty! And this home-made version is so easy to whip up!

• Gayle says

Thanks so much for the kind words, Olivia! This salsa was a huge hit at my house…it serves 8 people, yet my husband and I gobbled it up in about three days!

• Gayle says

Chips and salsa are definitely the best part of Mexican food! And now that I can make it at home, no need to fight the crowds!

• Gayle says

Sounds like you’re just like me, Carol! That’s how I judge a Mexican restaurant, too. This salsa definitely fits my expectations…full of flavor and so easy to make!

• Gayle says

Yes, I totally agree with you, Sarah! Fresh salsa is a million times better than the store bought kind, and so easy! I’m kicking myself for not trying it earlier!

5. says

I am a total sucker for Mexican food, in fact I’m about to go out to lunch at a Mexican restaurant that has a salad bar with about ten different kinds! It is heaven! For some reason, I don’t seem to make my own salsa too often, and I think that needs to change asap! I love all the flavors in here and know that this salsa would not stay around too long at my house!
    Isadora recently posted…Calabacitas Orzo Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing {gf+v}My Profile

• Gayle says

Thanks so much, Izzy! Now that I know how easy salsa is to make, I’ve been whipping this up quite often. So tasty, fresh, and beats going out for Mexican food every now and then!

• Gayle says

Thanks so much, Jocelyn! I was amazed at how flavorful this salsa is. And I may never go back to a store bought one again!