Caprese Bites

I’m mildly obsessed with anything involving caprese ingredients. Mozzarella, basil, tomatoes….that’s just about the perfect combination in my book. Whether it’s in the form of a salad, sandwich, or bruschetta, it reminds me of summer.

French bread slices, topped with fresh basil, mozzarella cheese, and vine-ripened tomatoes created these delicious Caprese Bites.

Panera Bread used to make a delicious caprese salad. It was only available in the summer, and whenever it came out, I promptly went there to devour the salad. I haven’t seen it at Panera for the past few years, but I always think about the delicious ingredients during the summer. Of course, other places offer caprese dishes, too. And when I’m in the mood, those dishes often appear on my plate, and are gone in a flash.

So it was no surprise that I was thinking of creamy mozzarella, fresh basil, and juicy tomatoes last weekend. Summer staples, right? But instead of putting those ingredients into a salad, I went with a different option. Caprese Bites! French bread slices, topped with fresh basil, mozzarella cheese, and vine-ripened tomatoes created this delicious appetizer, or anytime snack!

The ingredients for these Caprese Bites are fairly simple. French bread, mozzarella cheese, fresh basil leaves, tomatoes, and olive oil. I chose to first toast the bread with a touch of olive oil before I layered the ingredients. I then added a slice of fresh mozzarella, diced tomatoes, and chopped basil leaves. Pop it in the oven for about ten minutes and voila! Caprese heaven!

One bite and I was sold. The fresh basil, combined with the mozzarella and tomatoes reminded me of eating my favorite salad at Panera. Feel free to drizzle with some balsamic vinegar for a bruschetta taste.

Caprese Bites

Ingredients

• 1 French baguette, cut into 20 slices, 1/2 inch thick
  • 5 campari (or Roma, plum, etc.) tomatoes, diced
  • 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
  • 12 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into 20 thin discs
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • Salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to medium broil. Lightly spray a baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
  2. Brush olive oil over tops of bread slices and place on baking pan.
  3. Place in the oven and broil 4-5 minutes, until the tops of the bread are golden brown.Remove from oven. Set oven to 400F.
  4. Place one mozzarella slice, 1/2 teaspoon of chopped basil, and 1/2 teaspoon of chopped tomato on top of bread.
  5. Repeat with remaining ingredients until bread slices are prepared.
  6. Sprinkle salt and pepper over each baguette slice.
  7. Place into oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
  8. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
  9. Enjoy!

Notes

Caprese bites will keep covered in the refridgerator for up to 3 days.

Lovely comments

1. says

Gayle, I would eat this whole tray right now for breakfast too if it were sitting in front on me! Yum.

Basil, growing that. Tomatoes. growing that. Mozzarella…? Now why can’t I grow mozzarella plants?

These look perfect, the cheese is just perfectly melted. Love the bread you used too. Agreed on Panera! Their mozz/basil paninis are my ultimate weakness!!
    Laura recently posted…Build A Cheap Raised Bed From PalletsMy Profile

• Gayle says

Wouldn’t that be amazing if mozzarella just grew on trees? I’m sure your basil and tomatoes are delicious, Laura! I plan on starting a garden next summer and those are the first two items on my list to plant. Thanks so much for the compliments! And I do like Panera’s caprese panini too, I actually forgot about that!

• Gayle says

Thanks, Meg! The fresh flavors always take me back to warm and sunny days. Maybe if I eat this more in the winter, I will feel like it’s summer! :)

• Gayle says

Definitely, Allison! Home-grown tomatoes are my ultimate favorite, so fresh and so many different ways to use them!

• Gayle says

Definitely an amazing combination! There’s just something about the fresh ingredients that taste amazing on bread or in salads. I simply can’t get enough of these bites this summer!

• Gayle says

Thanks so much, Kelly! Caprese salads are my favorite too, and these bites definitely remind me of those dishes.

• Gayle says

I agree, Kelly! These bites were so easy to just grab anytime I walked into the kitchen, so I had to really restrain myself. Next time, I’ll just give most of these away! :)

• Gayle says

I absolutely love fresh mozzarella! I don’t buy it too often, but when I do, it never lasts long in my house! So combine it with some tomatoes and basil, and I’m all set! :) Happy Wednesday to you, too!

• Gayle says

I actually haven’t had too many caprese dishes until about month ago, and then I was hooked for the summer! And since these bites are so easy to whip up, I know I’ll be making them a few more times while the farmer’s markets are still going on.

• Gayle says

They look addicting, right? I had so much trouble not eating about 10 caprese bites in one sitting, they’re just that fresh and tasty. Thanks so much for stopping by!

• Gayle says

Thanks, Mir! These bites definitely remind me of Panera’s delicious salad, and even better that I can make them all on my own!

• Gayle says

These would definitely be great for a summer party! So easy to throw together. Thanks so much for the pin, Lindsey!

• Gayle says

I’ve never actually heard of burrata cheese, but now I’m going to be on the lookout for it! Sounds like it’s delicious!

• Gayle says

Thanks, Danielle! I think I ate most of these and then had to pawn them off on my husband. Way too addicting!

• Gayle says

These would definitely go perfect with a glass of wine. And yes, it could be a mini pizza too, especially with a little tomato sauce added in. Thanks, Helen!

• Gayle says

Thanks so much, Samina! These little bites turned out delicious and fresh, I simply couldn’t get enough of the flavor!

• Gayle says

I could definitely eat these bites for dinner too, Izzy! Especially in the summer, there’s just something about this fresh combo that makes it extra delicious!

2. says

AHHH! Insalata caprese is just about one of my fav things ever! Can you believe though that I actually went to Italy and didn’t even try it!? Crazy! I seriously regret that decision now…
    This looks heavenly. I have to try this. Maybe for lunch today? – That’s the best thing about reading your posts first thing in the morning! :)
    Tash x
    Tash recently posted…BBQ Food & Family time – It’s birthday week again!My Profile

• Gayle says

Thanks so much for the kind words, Tash! If you try this for lunch, please let me know! I definitely agree that it would be amazing!