Pizza Potato Skins

Let’s talk about potatoes today. Carb-loaded and full of starch, I’m a potato fan. Baked, broiled, mashed, steamed, roasted, or fried, I pretty much like any potato that comes my way. In a casserole? Love it! Dipped in ketchup? Even better. But then there’s the outcast…potato skins. My feelings on these little guys are somewhat distorted. Even loaded with cheese, bacon, and sour cream, I just don’t swoon over potato skins like I do their cousins. I don’t hate ‘em, but I could definitely live without ‘em…until now.

pizza potato skins1 1024x768 Pizza Potato Skins

I took an average potato skin and gave it a delicious makeover, creating these zesty Pizza Potato Skins! Loaded with pizza sauce, fresh mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, and seasonings, these potato skins are sure to be a crowd-pleasing appetizer or snack! And because everyone likes pizza, who can resist these perfectly proportioned appetizers?

pizza potato skins4 768x1024 Pizza Potato Skins

I don’t know about you, but I could eat appetizers for dinner every so often. There’s just something about snacking on some delicious foods that cures my cravings. And these Pizza Potato Skins would definitely be on the menu! Just like my Restaurant Style Salsa and Caprese Bites, these potato skins are a breeze to whip up. Simply scoop out the insides of your potatoes, bake, layer with pizza sauce, cheese, pepperoni (or your desired toppings), season, and broil. That’s it!

pizza potato skins7 1024x768 Pizza Potato Skins

The result? Perfectly crisp and delicious potato skins that tastes like pizza. And because these Pizza Potato Skins are so versatile, feel free to add your favorite toppings, adjust the seasonings, or swap out pizza sauce for Alfredo sauce. The combinations are endless!

So the next time your in the mood to jazz up an old favorite or are hosting a party, try out these Pizza Potato Skins! I promise you’ll never go back to plain ‘ole potato skins again!

pizza potato skins6 1024x768 Pizza Potato Skins

Pizza Potato Skins

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes

Yield: 2

Loaded with pizza sauce, fresh mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, and seasonings, these Pizza Potato Skins are sure to be a crowd-pleasing appetizer or snack!

Ingredients

• 2 baking potatoes, washed and scrubbed
  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted
  • 4 tablespoons pizza sauce
  • 8 tablespoons Mozzarella cheese
  • 12 mini pepperoni slices
  • 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • Salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 400F.
  2. Prick each potato with a fork and bake for about 50 min.
  3. Remove from oven. Then set oven to broil.
  4. Cut each potato into three sections, lengthwise, so that you end up with two ends and a middle.
  5. Set the middle aside, as it isn't needed to make these skins (I baked the middles along with the potato skins).
  6. Using a melon baller or spoon, scrape out the inside of each potato half, leaving about a 1/2 inch of filling.
  7. Brush each potato skin with melted butter and season with salt and pepper.
  8. Place potatoes on baking tray and broil for two minutes on each side. Then remove from oven.
  9. Top each potato with pizza sauce, cheese, pepperoni, seasoning, salt and pepper.
  10. Place into oven and broil for an additional 3-4 minutes, or until cheese has fully melted.
  11. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
  12. Serve with a side of warmed pizza sauce, if desired.
  13. Enjoy!

Notes

Potato skins will keep in the refridgerator for up to three days.

Lovely comments

1. says

I thought this was actually pizza when I saw the photo! It’s trickery! I loveeee appies for a main course every now and again. So fun and decadent. Plus, I feel like I can eat more of them because they’re smaller hehe. Pizza flavours and potatoes are a match made in heaven, their muted flavour really pairs well with tomatoes and of course, bubbling cheese! What a great take on a potato skins, Gayle! I’d much rather have these any the usual potato skins you see -they always seem so, meh. No longer!

• Gayle says

Glad it was a good trick, Allison! I really enjoyed these potato skins with the pizza flavors. It jazzed up the potatoes and was fun to eat!

• Gayle says

Oh that’s a great idea too, Mir! I will have to try that, because mushrooms are my weakness! There are so many fun ways to jazz up potato skins, too.

• Gayle says

Thanks, Bri! I was so excited that I liked these way better than regular potato skins. And they’re so easy to make, too!

• Gayle says

Sounds like these are the perfect potato skins for you, Michele! Who wouldn’t love tons of cheese and pepperoni on these babies, right?! And thanks so much for the pin!

• Gayle says

Thanks, Annie! This is definitely a fun way to spice up some regular potato skins. And it makes a perfect dinner, too!

2. says

I’m having a duh moment right now, like, hmmm, why didn’t I think of this concept? This must be the ultimate comfort food, like that thing you make for a friend who needs a quick pick-me-up that pops over for lunch. Or, you make for your kids, because c’mon, what kid wouldn’t love these? Potatoes and pizza combo, nourishing and delicious, wow!
    Laura recently posted…Herb InfographicMy Profile

• Gayle says

I have those duh moments all the time, Laura! And I agree, definitely a comfort food of sorts. And this would be a great meal for kids! I’m sure they would enjoy putting their own toppings on these potatoes!

• Gayle says

I agree, plain potatoes can be a little boring, but I think you and your kids would love these! Nothing dull about these potato skins, and you can customize them just the way you want!

• Gayle says

Thanks, Sarah! These potato skins are definitely for all those pizza lovers out there! And the cheese was my favorite part, too! :)

3. says

I’m a potato lover too, it’s like the ultimate comfort food. I’m totally with you too on making a dinner out of appetizers, I love them! I love these potato skins! Pizza + Potatoes = my two favorite things!
    Danielle recently posted…Pina Colada SmoothieMy Profile

• Gayle says

Thanks, Danielle! I’m glad you share my love of appetizers for dinner! It’s fun to do that every once in a while. Especially with these pizza potato skins!

• Gayle says

Thanks, Jess! I love the mini pepperonis too…I had a hard time not eating them before I put them on the potato skins!

• Gayle says

There are so many ways to cook potatoes that I love trying out different ways. I hope you love these potato skins if you try them, Izzy!

• Gayle says

Thanks, Helen! The potato base substitutes very nicely for a pizza crust! I think you would love these, and no need to perfect your crust skills, either! :)

• Gayle says

Thanks, Ashley! My husband already requested that I make these for football games, so I’m sure these would be perfect for your house, too!