Let’s talk about potatoes today. Carb-loaded and full of starch, I’m a potato fan. Baked, broiled, mashed, steamed, roasted, or fried, I pretty much like any potato that comes my way. In a casserole? Love it! Dipped in ketchup? Even better. But then there’s the outcast…potato skins. My feelings on these little guys are somewhat distorted. Even loaded with cheese, bacon, and sour cream, I just don’t swoon over potato skins like I do their cousins. I don’t hate ’em, but I could definitely live without ‘em…until now.
I took an average potato skin and gave it a delicious makeover, creating these zesty Pizza Potato Skins! Loaded with pizza sauce, fresh mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, and seasonings, these potato skins are sure to be a crowd-pleasing appetizer or snack! And because everyone likes pizza, who can resist these perfectly proportioned appetizers?
I don’t know about you, but I could eat appetizers for dinner every so often. There’s just something about snacking on some delicious foods that cures my cravings. And these Pizza Potato Skins would definitely be on the menu! Just like my Restaurant Style Salsa and Caprese Bites, these potato skins are a breeze to whip up. Simply scoop out the insides of your potatoes, bake, layer with pizza sauce, cheese, pepperoni (or your desired toppings), season, and broil. That’s it!
The result? Perfectly crisp and delicious potato skins that tastes like pizza. And because these Pizza Potato Skins are so versatile, feel free to add your favorite toppings, adjust the seasonings, or swap out pizza sauce for Alfredo sauce. The combinations are endless!
So the next time your in the mood to jazz up an old favorite or are hosting a party, try out these Pizza Potato Skins! I promise you’ll never go back to plain ‘ole potato skins again!
Loaded with pizza sauce, fresh mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, and seasonings, these Pizza Potato Skins are sure to be a crowd-pleasing appetizer or snack!
10 minPrep Time
1 hr, 5 Cook Time
- 2 baking potatoes, washed and scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons pizza sauce
- 8 tablespoons Mozzarella cheese
- 12 mini pepperoni slices
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Prick each potato with a fork and bake for about 50 min.
- Remove from oven. Then set oven to broil.
- Cut each potato into three sections, lengthwise, so that you end up with two ends and a middle.
- Set the middle aside, as it isn't needed to make these skins (I baked the middles along with the potato skins).
- Using a melon baller or spoon, scrape out the inside of each potato half, leaving about a 1/2 inch of filling.
- Brush each potato skin with melted butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Place potatoes on baking tray and broil for two minutes on each side. Then remove from oven.
- Top each potato with pizza sauce, cheese, pepperoni, seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Place into oven and broil for an additional 3-4 minutes, or until cheese has fully melted.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve with a side of warmed pizza sauce, if desired.
Potato skins will keep in the refridgerator for up to three days.