Armed with a flaky crust on the outside and full of strawberry and orange hints on the inside, these Mini Strawberry Orange Scones are the perfect treat!
Every so often, I stop at Starbucks on my way to work in the mornings. I get my usual chai latte and eagerly scan their baked goods.
More often than not, I can resist that sugary temptation behind the counter. But every once in a while, I just have to cave in. Their scones and croissants are one of my favorites. And it just pairs so perfectly with coffee or tea, so how can I pass it up?
So when I stopped at Starbucks a few weeks ago, I confidently marched right past the baked goods. And you know what my secret weapon was? These Mini Strawberry Orange Scones. Armed with a flaky crust on the outside and full of strawberry and orange hints on the inside, these scones are the perfect treat to fill you up in the mornings.
These Mini Strawberry Orange Scones are soft, moist, and full of flavor. These cuties definitely help me forget about all of those bakery treats lurking around in Starbucks.
And because these treats are mini, it just seems to taste even better! And if you’re anything like me, mini foods are hard to resist!
The best part about these Mini Strawberry Orange Scones, besides being delicious, is how easy they are to make.
Whenever I hear the word scone, I automatically think of some pastry chef whipping up this treat that takes hours on end. Well, lucky for me (and you), these scones take just about 15 minutes of prep time. And 15 minutes to yield this flavorful treat is a winner in my book.
To make these scones, I used this mini scone pan that I bought from Crate & Barrel. Remember, I love mini foods, so this was too hard to pass up! But if you don’t have a mini pan, feel free to shape these Mini Strawberry Orange Scones into regular sized ones.
One these scones come out of the oven, prepare to be amazed.
These Mini Strawberry Orange Scones are bursting with flavor and contain the perfect amount of sweetness. And if you’re thinking that these would be dry, think again! I’m not a fan of dry scones, so I made sure that these came out extra soft and moist. So if that’s the way you like your scones, then this recipe was made for you!
Looking for more baked goodies? I’ve got you covered!
Mini Strawberry Orange Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup frozen unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ½ cup heavy cream plus more for tops of scones
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries diced
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400°F. If making regular scones, line a large baking pan with a silpat baking mat or parchment paper. If using mini scone pan, lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or fork, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles small pebbles. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk vanilla extract, egg, heavy cream, and orange zest.
- Make a well in center of the dough mixture and pour in cream mixture. Using a spoon or your hands, gently mix until just combined. Lightly toss in strawberries.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. If making regular sized scones, shape dough into a large ball, cut into wedges, and place onto baking pan. If using mini scone pan, break dough into chunks and fill scone mold.
- Brush tops of scones with extra cream, if desired. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until tops are lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Whiles scones are cooling, prepare the glaze.In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, powdered sugar, and cream. Whisk until it reaches desired consistency, adding more sugar/cream if needed. Drizzle over tops of cooled scones.