This Smashed Chickpea Avocado Sandwich is loaded with flavor and makes a light and healthy lunch or dinner. Bonus: it’s accidentally vegan!
I discovered my love for chickpeas about three years ago. I know, I’m so late to the party! I’ve always liked hummus, but didn’t know that it was made from chickpeas, or even what a chickpea was. Living under a rock: yep, that’s definitely me.
But I’m happy to report that I can’t get enough of these little guys and will find any and every excuse to add it to salads, pastas, and more.
Which is why this smashed chickpea and avocado sandwich was created. I wanted to take my love of chickpeas and my addiction to avocados and jam it into some carb-loading goodness. Sounds pretty good, right?
This Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Sandwich is loaded with flavor and makes a light and healthy lunch or dinner. Chickpeas and avocados make the perfect pair when blended with a touch of spice and lime juice.
The next time you’re in the mood for a lighter meal, whip up this Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Sandwich. It’s fast, easy and exploding with flavor!
Chickpea Avocado Sandwich Ingredients
The texture of this Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Sandwich is creamy and thick. It makes a great alternative for meatless Monday’s, or just for when you want something on the lighter side.
And the cilantro and garlic powder give this sandwich a hint of flavor, without being too overpowering. But really, is there ever such a thing as too much garlic?
Here’s what you’ll need to make this vegan chickpea sandwich:
- Lime juice
- Garlic powder, salt, and pepper
- Tomato slices
How to Make a Chickpea Avocado Sandwich
This smashed chickpea sandwich is a breeze to prepare. There’s no oven to turn on or stove to heat, so this sandwich can be ready in a matter of minutes.
Here’s a look at how this easy vegan sandwich comes together:
In a medium bowl, mash the chickpeas with a fork or potato masher.
Slice the avocados in half, remove pits, and scoop out middle into the bowl with the chickpeas.
Add lime juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix together until combined.
Spread mixture onto two slices of bread.
Top with tomato slices, if desired, and another slice of bread. Serve immediately.
Can the Chickpea Mixture Be Made in Advance?
Yes! You can prepare the smashed chickpea mixture in advance. It will last up to three days in the fridge. Note that the avocado will oxidize (i.e. turn brown) over time, but it will still be safe to eat.
Can I Add Extra Toppings?
Of course! I garnished my sandwich with just tomato slices, but fresh herbs, thinly sliced red onion, cheese, or your favorite sandwich toppings will all work.
Tips for Making a Smashed Chickpea Sandwich
- I chose not to cook the chickpeas before mashing, but this can be done if desired.
- You may want to remove skins of chickpeas before you mash, as they will flake off in bowl.
- Serve the sandwich with chips, carrot sticks, or a side salad to complete the meal!
Looking for more sandwich recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Panini
- Grilled Ham and Swiss Sandwich
- Caprese Grilled Cheese
- Ham and Avocado Open-Faced Sandwich
- Tomato, Avocado, and Mozzarella Grilled Cheese
Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Sandwich
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas drained, rinsed, and patted dry
- 2 avocados
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tomato slices for garnish if desired
- 4 slices thick bread
- In a medium bowl, mash chickpeas with fork or potato masher.
- Slice avocados in half, remove pits, and scoop out middle into the bowl with the chickpeas. Add lime juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix together until combined.
- Spread mixture onto two slices of bread. Top with tomato slices, if desired, and another slice of bread. Serve immediately.