Apple Cinnamon Muffins
Apple Cinnamon Muffins are soft, moist, and bursting with cozy flavors. With tender chunks of fresh apples, a swirl of sweet cinnamon and a buttery, crunchy, streusel topping, these muffins make the best breakfast or dessert!
For the muffins:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk (any kind)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2½ teaspoons vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- 1½ cups diced apples (about 3 small apples, I used honey crisp)
For the streusel topping:
- ½ cup light brown sugar , packed
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup unsalted butter , melted
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a 12-count muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or line with paper liners. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, white sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
In a medium bowl, whisk the egg, milk, applesauce, and vanilla bean paste (or extract) in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined.
Slowly incorporate the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just blended. Gently fold in diced apples. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins, filling each cup about 3/4 full.
To make the streusel topping, combine the brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, melted butter, and flour. Stir well until it resembles wet sand. Sprinkle over tops of muffins.
Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F, then, without opening oven door, lower temperature to 375°F and bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean. Baking at 425°F first helps to achieve that high, bakery-style muffin. Remove from oven and let cool.
- See my tips for making these apple cinnamon muffins in the post (above the recipe box)
- I like to use this vanilla bean paste in place of vanilla extract in all of my recipes.
Serving: 1muffin | Calories: 195kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 88mg | Potassium: 129mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 135IU | Vitamin C: 0.6mg | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 1.2mg