Black Bean Chicken Chili
Loaded with shredded chicken, beans, corn, and spices, this Black Bean Chicken Chili is a quick and easy soup recipe. Enjoy a bowl as is, or serve with cornbread and a side salad.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (32 ounce) carton low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 2 cups yellow corn (fresh or frozen)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans black beans drained
- Shredded cheddar cheese, chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes if desired
In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until browned on both sides (does not need to be cooked through at this point). Remove to a separate plate for the time being.
Add onion and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Add broth, chiles, corn, oregano, cumin, salt, black pepper, red pepper and black beans; stir to combine. Add chicken back to pot.
Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
Remove chicken breasts from pot and use two forks to shred. Return chicken to pot and stir.
Serve immediately. Garnish with shredded cheese, cilantro, diced tomatoes, or sour cream, if desired.
- Recipe lightly adapted from Cast Iron Comfort Food Magazine - 2017
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 243kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 215mg | Potassium: 376mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 56IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 2mg