Healthier Banana Honey Muffins
These Healthier Banana Honey Muffins are a simple, one-bowl breakfast or snack. Packed with sweet bananas and a touch of honey, these muffins bake up soft, moist, and on the healthier side!
Servings: 18 -20 muffins
- About 1½ cups mashed ripe banana about 4 medium bananas
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- ½ cup almond milk or any milk you prefer
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour
Preheat oven to 425°F. Line two 12 count muffin tins with paper liners or grease with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the mashed banana, brown sugar (see note below), honey, egg, and vanilla bean paste/extract. Stir in the almond milk, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt until combined.
Add flour, ½ cup at a time, stirring until just incorporated into mixture. Spoon batter into prepared tin, filling ¾ full.
Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F, then keeping oven door closed, lower temp to 350°F and bake for 13-15 minutes, or until muffins are lightly browned. This oven trick helps to ensure those large bakery-style muffins.
Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes in pan, then remove and cool completely on a wire rack. Serve with butter and/or a drizzle of honey, if desired.
- Adapted from my Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Muffins are not overly sweet. If you like a sweeter batter, feel free to increase brown sugar or honey by 1-2 tablespoons.
- I like to use vanilla bean paste in baked goods instead of vanilla extract, as it doesn't water the mixture down and provides a richer vanilla flavor.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 111kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 140mg | Potassium: 145mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 30IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg