Creamy Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
This Creamy Mac and Cheese takes just minutes to prepare on the stovetop, contains two types of cheese, and is creamy, hearty, and delicious!
- 1 pound cavatappi shells
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup milk any kind (I used 2%)
- 1¼ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
In a large pot, cook noodles in boil water until al dente, per packaged directions. Drain and set aside.
In a medium pot, melt butter. Then whisk in flour, salt, and pepper.
Slowly add milk and heavy cream, whisking until combined. Heat mixture until it bubbles over medium heat.
Reduce heat to low and add in cheeses. Stir until melted. Add pasta to cheese mixture and toss to combine. If mixture is too thick, add 1-2 tablespoons more milk and go from there. Let macaroni and cheese sit for five minutes to thicken.
- To add more flavor to this mac 'n cheese, I like to add 2 teaspoons of garlic powder and a dash of paprika or ground nutmeg.
- Looking for a more distinct cheesy taste? Use ¼ cup of shredded Parmesan or cheddar jack cheese, ¾ cup of shredded mozzarella, and 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar.
- See my tips and tricks for making this Creamy Macaroni and Cheese above the recipe box.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 467.59kcal | Carbohydrates: 36.03g | Protein: 12.22g | Fat: 30.71g | Saturated Fat: 18.79g | Cholesterol: 101.68mg | Sodium: 349.71mg | Potassium: 188.47mg | Fiber: 1.39g | Sugar: 3.28g | Vitamin A: 1113.71IU | Vitamin C: 0.3mg | Calcium: 174.61mg | Iron: 0.82mg