This Creamy Mac and Cheese takes just minutes to prepare on the stovetop, contains two types of cheese, and is creamy, hearty, and delicious!
Even though winter and I aren’t the best of friends, it does bring me joy within the kitchen.
Sounds strange, but the cold weather gives me the perfect excuse to whip up some delicious and hearty meals. Not that I don’t do this in the warmer months, but with the weather being frigid, I get creative with those foods that warm you right up and make you forget about the cold and snow.
While no bean chili and soup rank right up there with some of my favorite dishes, some other meals that scream comfort food are this chicken pesto pasta and spinach and mushroom pasta. Can you tell that I’m a sucker for decadent pasta dishes?
And nothing screams comfort food more than those dishes and this Creamy Stovetop Mac and Cheese.
Since I’m all about foods that take just minutes to prepare during the week, while accompanying that comfort food appeal, homemade creamy mac and cheese was the first food that I thought of.
This stovetop mac and cheese with heavy cream takes just minutes to prepare, contains two types of cheese, and is creamy, hearty, and delicious. Because you don’t have to sacrifice all that time in the kitchen, this creamy macaroni and cheese will be ready in no time!
Stovetop Mac and Cheese Ingredients
To make this homemade creamy mac and cheese, you’ll need the following:
- Cavatappi shells
- Unsalted butter
- All-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- Heavy whipping cream
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
How to Make Creamy Mac and Cheese
- Cook the noodles to al dente, drain and set aside.
- Now comes the fun part, making the creamy cheese sauce. Melt some butter in a large pot and then whisk in some flour, salt, and pepper.
- Slowly add in some heavy cream and milk, cooking until it bubbles. We’re going for rich and creamy macaroni and cheese, so the heavy cream is necessary!
- Then reduce the heat to low and add in some shredded sharp cheddar cheese and shredded mozarella cheese.
- Stir until melted and then add the cavatappi noodles to pot. Stir until the noodles are coated and then let sit for 5 minutes to thicken up.
How to Reheat Mac and Cheese
If you wind up with leftovers of this creamy mac and cheese recipe, I recommend reheating them in a saucepan with a splash of milk or cream. Pop the lid onto the saucepan and reheat over low heat so the pasta doesn’t dry out.
Can You Freeze Mac and Cheese?
Absolutely! This homemade creamy mac and cheese freezes well. I recommend freezing this stovetop mac and cheese in small containers so you can thaw one serving at a time.
Tips for Making the Best Mac and Cheese
- I chose to use cavatappi noodles, as I love the shape and thickness of them. But feel free to use whatever type of noodle you have on hand.
- I prefer using a blend of shredded cheddar and mozzarella in my creamy stovetop mac and cheese, but you’re welcome to use any cheese you have on hand.
- Note that you can use any milk you’d like in this homemade mac and cheese recipe. If you use a non-dairy milk, double check that it’s unsweetened and unflavored first.
This creamy stovetop mac and cheese is the ultimate comfort food meal, friends! So perfect for a cold winter night when you want something quick, easy, and delicious!
Looking for more side dish recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Instant Pot Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
- Roasted Maple Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Lemon Parmesan Asparagus
- Roasted Mushrooms with Garlic and Rosemary
- Dairy-Free Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
Creamy Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 pound cavatappi shells
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup milk , any kind (I used 2%)
- 1¼ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- In a large pot, cook noodles in boil water until al dente, per packaged directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium pot, melt butter. Then whisk in flour, salt, and pepper.
- Slowly add milk and heavy cream, whisking until combined. Heat mixture until it bubbles over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and add in cheeses. Stir until melted. Add pasta to cheese mixture and toss to combine. Let macaroni and cheese sit for five minutes to thicken.