This Creamy Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese takes just minutes to prepare, contains two types of cheese, and is creamy, hearty, and delicious!
Even though winter and I aren’t the best of friends, it does bring me joy within the kitchen.
Sounds strange, but the cold weather gives me the perfect excuse to whip up some delicious and hearty meals. Not that I don’t do this in the warmer months, but with the weather being frigid, I get creative with those foods that warm you right up and make you forget about the cold and snow.
While no bean chili and soup rank right up there with some of my favorite dishes, some other meals that scream comfort food are this chicken pesto pasta and spinach and mushroom pasta. Can you tell that I’m a sucker for decadent pasta dishes?
And nothing screams comfort food more than those dishes and this Creamy Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese.
Since I’m all about foods that take just minutes to prepare during the week, while accompanying that comfort food appeal, mac ‘n cheese was the first food that I thought of.
This mac and cheese with heavy cream takes just minutes to prepare, contains two types of cheese, and is creamy, hearty, and delicious. Because you don’t have to sacrifice all that time in the kitchen, this mac ‘n cheese and pot pie dinner will be ready in no time!
And just incase you’re looking to use your pressure cooker, you need to check out this Instant Pot Creamy Macaroni and Cheese. It’s knock-your-socks off delicious!
So let’s get down to business!
The first step is to cook the noodles to al dente, drain and set aside. I chose to use cavatappi noodles, as I love the shape and thickness of them. But feel free to use whatever type of noodle you have on hand.
Now comes the fun part, making the creamy cheese sauce. Melt some butter in a large pot and then whisk in some flour, salt, and pepper. Slowly add in some heavy cream and milk, cooking until it bubbles. We’re going for creamy (and rich) macaroni and cheese, so the heavy cream is necessary!
Then reduce the heat to low and add in some shredded sharp cheddar cheese and shredded mozarella cheese. Stir until melted and then add the cavatappi noodles to pot. Stir until the noodles are coated and then let sit for five minutes to thicken up.
Once this Creamy Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese is ready, your delicious pot pie will be waiting for you, too. This is the ultimate comfort food meal, friends! So perfect for a cold winter night when you want something quick, easy, and delicious!
Looking for more side dish recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Instant Pot Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
- Roasted Maple Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Lemon Parmesan Asparagus
- Roasted Mushrooms with Garlic and Rosemary
Creamy Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 pound cavatappi shells
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup milk any kind (I used 2%)
- 1¼ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- In a large pot, cook noodles in boil water until al dente, per packaged directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium pot, melt butter. Then whisk in flour, salt, and pepper.
- Slowly add milk and heavy cream, whisking until combined. Heat mixture until it bubbles over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and add in cheeses. Stir until melted. Add pasta to cheese mixture and toss to combine. Let macaroni and cheese sit for five minutes to thicken.