Caprese Bites make an easy appetizer that's ready in minutes. Fresh basil, mozzarella cheese, ripe tomatoes and a drizzle of balsamic glaze top toasted bread slices for the perfect bite.
- 1 French baguette , cut into 20-25 slices, 1/2 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 campari tomatoes , sliced and then each slice cut in half
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves , chopped or cut in half (depending on the size)
- 12 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese , sliced into 20-25 thin discs
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- Balsamic glaze , for topping
Preheat oven to medium broil and position oven rack near top.
Brush olive oil over tops of bread slices and place onto a large baking pan.
Place in the oven and broil 2-3 minutes, until the tops of the bread are just starting to turn golden. Remove from oven. Set oven to 400°F.
Place one mozzarella slice, basil leave, and two tomato slices onto top of bread. (See note below). Repeat with remaining ingredients until bread slices are prepared.
Sprinkle salt and pepper over each baguette slice. Place into oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Drizzle with balsamic glaze, if desired.
- For the tomatoes, you may substitute Roma, plum, etc.
- I found a prepared balsamic glaze near the cooking vinegar section of my grocery store.
- Alternatively, you can toast bread and then top with mozzarella cheese and bake until melted. Then, top with basil and tomatoes with cooking, if desired.
- Bites are best served immediately.
- Caprese bites will keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 213kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 434mg | Potassium: 360mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1025IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 97mg | Iron: 2mg