Chocolate Chip Pound Cake is a simple, one bowl recipe that results in a soft, rich, and buttery taste. Perfect to serve for parties, get-togethers, or even breakfast!
It’s time for another easy cake recipe, friends! But, not just any kind of cake…homemade pound cake, to be exact! If I’m being honest, this is my favorite kind of cake! No frosting, a buttery, dense texture and easy to make. It’s a win-win for me.
And this pound cake recipe is not only easy to make, but it also requires just one bowl and a handful of ingredients. How about that for decadent chocolate chip pound cake recipe?
So, what really makes this the best pound cake recipe?
The texture. Although it’s soft, it’s not fluffy like a regular cake, but instead has a dense, moist texture.
The taste. This cream cheese pound cake is, in fact, made with cream cheese and no sour cream. The cream cheese results in just a bit of tang, which pairs perfectly with some sweet vanilla and chocolate chips.
The simplicity. Just a few ingredients and one bowl and you’re on your way to devouring the most delicious chocolate chip pound cake recipe.
And did I mention the chocolate? Chocolate chips make the best addition to this easy dessert!
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
The ingredients list for this homemade pound cake recipe is short and sweet. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Cream cheese
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- Mini chocolate chips
How to Make Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
Grab those ingredients, a large bowl, and a mixer to make this simple cake!
- To start, beat some cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. This is the key to dense, moist pound cake, so mix for at least 3-4 minutes. You want no lumps remaining, and a smooth batter.
- Add in the sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until fully incorporated.
- Then, add in the eggs, two at a time, and beat until incorporated. It takes a little arm power, but trust me, it’s worth it.
- Then mix in the vanilla.
- Add the flour, beating until smooth, and then fold in some chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan(s) and let the oven work its magic. It’s important to remember that this traditional pound cake recipe takes a while to bake, as every oven is different.
What is the secret to a moist pound cake?
In this recipe, cream cheese is the ingredient that makes this chocolate pound cake moist and full of flavor. Buttermilk or sour cream can also be used in pound cakes to add flavor and moisture.
Why does my pound cake crack on top?
Good question! It’s most likely because the batter is so dense. The exterior of the cake cooks first, which can cause the batter to rise up and crack in the center.
How do you know when a pound cake is done baking?
I like to use the toothpick test to see if baked goods are ready to come out of the oven. Simply insert a toothpick into the thickest part of the cake. If it comes out with just a few crumbs, it’s ready to remove from the oven. However, if there are a lot of crumbs or the batter sticks to the toothpick, then it needs more time in the oven.
What is the best pan for a pound cake?
Can I freeze pound cake?
Absolutely! Simply let the cake cool to room temperature and then wrap tightly with aluminum foil and place in a freezer-safe container or bag for up to three months.
Pound Cake Variations
- Fold in some blueberries, raspberries, or even blackberries or a fruity cake.
- In addition to vanilla, add some almond extract for a slightly nuttier flavor.
- Add some lemon or orange juice to make a citrusy, bright cake.
Tips for Making Pound Cake From Scratch
- I like to use semi-sweet chocolate chips in this recipe, but milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or even mint chocolate chips would be just as delicious.
- Chocolate chip pound cake can be made in two 9×5-inch loaf pans or a 10- to 12-inch bundt pan. Do whatever works best for you!
- It’s very important that you beat together the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. This is what prevents the pound cake from being too dense.
Are you ready to try this old fashioned pound cake recipe? It’s a winner around here and requested over and over again!
Looking for more pound cake recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Chocolate Covered Pound Cake Bites
- Strawberry Pound Cake
- Grilled Pound Cake with Mascarpone Cream & Berries
- Pound Cake Trifle
- Peppermint Pound Cake
Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
- 8 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1½ cup unsalted butter , softened
- 2½ cups granulated sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two 9-inch loaf pans or a 10- to 12-cup bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer with fitted paddle attachment until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. This is important in order to achieve that fluffy and dense texture, so make sure to beat well and that no lumps remain.
- Add in sugar, ½ cup at a time, until fully incorporated. Add in eggs, two at a time, followed by the vanilla, and beat until combined. Add in flour and beat until smooth. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan(s). Bake for 1 hour and 10-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into middle comes out mostly clean (a few crumbs is ok, as you don't want to overbake cake). If top of pound cake starts to brown too quickly, loosely cover with aluminum foil to preventing burning.
- Let cool for 15 minutes in pan, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely or invert onto a large plate (if using a bundt pan).
- This pound cake takes a while to bake. Oven times vary, so keep an eye on cake so it doesn't burn.
- See my tips and tricks for making this Chocolate Chip Pound Cake above the recipe box.