This Lemon Poppy Seed Bread with Glaze is light, moist, and full of lemon flavor. Perfect for the summer and to give as a homemade gift for that special someone!
I have a confession to make. I have never been a fan of lemon recipes. Ever. Cakes, pies, cookies, you name it…lemon just wasn’t appealing to me.
Especially lemon meringue pies. Something about the texture of the actual pie and the meringue on top makes me recoil in disgust! Sorry to all you lemon meringue fans out there! I’m probably in the minority here. And you’re probably thinking two things right now: how in the world can you not like lemon? And why are you posting a lemon recipe?! Am I right?
Ok let me make a slight adjustment to what I just stated. I do enjoy lemon poppy seed muffins and more cakey-not-too-lemony type treats, but that’s about the extent of it. Make sense?
Anyways, I’ve been keeping this Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf recipe from you for several weeks now. The reason? These loaves were just too good to part with!
Only kidding (but these are out-of-this-world delicious)! I actually made these as Mini Lemon Poppy Seed Loaves for Mother’s Day, as a little treat for the hubster’s mom, my mom, and step-mom. I knew that my step-mom loved lemon, and figured that everyone else in the world (besides me) does too, so why not make something that both the moms and I would enjoy? Thus, enter these delicious bite-sized, mini loaves of lemon perfection!
And guess what? I actually devoured these Mini Lemon Poppy Seed Loaves! Well, the ones that the mothers’ didn’t receive, anyways. And the hubster adored these beauties, too. I mean, how could you not?
I love foods in mini form. There’s just something so eye appealing to me about mini desserts that make me want to snap pictures of them all day! And, now you’re thinking, weird Gayle, just weird! These mini loaves are full of lemon flavor, but not too-overpowering for those that don’t adore lemons. They also work perfectly as a home-made gift for that special someone.
Ingredients in Lemon Poppy Seed Bread with Glaze
The ingredients in this lemon poppy seed loaf recipe are fairly simple. In fact, you probably have most ingredients in your kitchen already (which is a huge bonus in my book). And to make these mini loaves on the lighter side, I used Greek yogurt in place of the oil in this recipe.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this lemon poppy seed bread with glaze:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder and baking soda
- Poppy seeds
- Granulated sugar
- Unsalted butter
- Vanilla bean paste or extract
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Powdered sugar
How to Make Lemon Poppy Seed Bread with Glaze
To start, you first want to mix your dry ingredients together. So into a bowl goes the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, poppy seeds and lemon zest. In another bowl, you’ll cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Then add the eggs, vanilla, yogurt and lemon juice.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and mix until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan (or muffin tin), bake until golden brown on the edges, and let cool.
While the loaves are cooling, prepare the glaze. Simply mix together the juice of one or two lemons and powdered sugar. Simple, right?
These Mini Lemon Poppy Seed Loaves turned out light, moist and delicious! I knew the moms would adore their mini cuteness and love the mild lemon flavor. I wrapped the loaves in decorative cellophane bags and delivered them on Mother’s Day. And guess what? They were a hit! The moms enjoyed the lemon flavor, enveloped in a moist and airy mini loaf.
Can I Use a Regular Loaf Pan?
Yes! If you don’t have a mini loaf pan, feel free to use a regular 9×5-inch loaf pan, or even a muffin tin.
How Many Mini Loaves Are in a Regular Loaf?
This recipe makes approximately 10 mini loaves (my loaf pan is about 3.28 x 2.5 inches). There are usually three mini loaves in one standard size loaf, so this recipe actually makes two lemon poppy seed breads!
Tips for the Best Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- I used the juice of one lemon in the batter, which resulted in a mild lemon flavor. But if you want your loaves to have a more prominent lemon taste, feel free to add more.
- Be careful not to over mix the batter, otherwise your batter will become tough. And we want to be sure these mini loaves come out light and moist!
- A few readers have used lemon-flavored Greek yogurt instead of plain to amp up the lemon flavor. I love that idea!
The next time you want to make something to give away, why not try these Mini Lemon Poppy Seed Loaves? I guarantee you’ll love the lemon flavor and will make them again and again!
Looking for More Lemon Recipes? I’ve Got You Covered!
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
- Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Glazed Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Blueberry Lemon French Toast Bake
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread with Glaze
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 lemon , zested and juiced
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter , softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 lemons , juiced
- 5 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray mini loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, poppy seeds, and lemon zest. Stir thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla, yogurt, and lemon juice. Mix until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Pour batter into mini loaves, filling about ¾ full. Bake for about 15-18 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes in loaf pan. Then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the glaze, stir together the lemon and powdered sugar until reaches desired consistency. Drizzle over cooled loaves.