This BBQ Chicken Quesadilla is packed with tender chicken, tangy barbecue sauce, red onions, and mozzarella cheese. It makes the perfect weeknight meal and is ready in just 15 minutes!
I have a confession to make. Are you ready for this one? Every once in a while, I get a craving for Taco Bell’s steak quesadilla. There. It’s out there. Please don’t judge me.
Now, I haven’t actually gotten a quesadilla from Taco Bell in a few years, but every so often, I’m taken back to my younger years when I would order that. And it was good! But let’s not talk about the fact that it’s probably not real steak in there.
I hardly ever go to Taco Bell anymore, unless I need a junk food craving in the form of fake Mexican fast food. But I still think about how delicious those quesadillas were.
Luckily, I’ve wised up over the years and go to authentic Mexican places to get my cravings fulfilled. But when I just don’t feel like heading out the door, I like to whip up my own homemade quesadillas.
I love quesadillas filled with just about anything…cheese, peppers, chicken, onions, chorizo, you name it. There’s just something about the texture and way that quesadillas are prepared that has me hooked. Plus, it’s usually easy to eat and doesn’t get all messy when you’re trying to devour it.
And since I’m a sucker for anything with barbecue sauce, I knew this BBQ Chicken Quesdailla would serve as a perfect, weeknight meal. After all, what could be easier (and more delicious) then some barbecue chicken, gooey cheese, and flour tortillas?
The next time you’re looking for a quick and easy meal, full of gooey cheese and chicken, skip the fast food place and whip up these BBQ Chicken Quesadillas! I guarantee it’ll be a household favorite!
Ingredients for BBQ Chicken Quesadillas
The ingredients list for these homemade chicken quesadillas is short:
- Shredded chicken
- BBQ sauce
- Flour tortillas
- Shredded mozzarella
- Red onion
How to Make BBQ Chicken Quesadillas
If you’re looking for a quick and easy meal that’s easy to customize depending on your tastes, then this BBQ Chicken Quesadilla was made for you. It’s so simple to prepare that you can have this prepped and ready to devour in less than 15 minutes. How about that for a weeknight meal?
In a small bowl, combine the chicken and barbecue sauce. Mix well. Set aside.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
Place one tortilla in middle of pan. Top with shredded cheese. Spread chicken in an even layer on top of cheese.
Top with onion, followed more cheese. Place second tortilla shell on top of chicken mixture and lightly press down.
Heat tortilla on both sides until shell turns golden brown and cheese starts to melt.
What’s the Best Cheese for Quesadillas?
I prefer using shredded mozzarella for this bbq shredded chicken quesadilla. Mozzarella is super ooey gooey but doesn’t have a strong flavor, making it the perfect complement to the tangy bbq sauce.
Can I Use Corn Tortillas?
Of course! I use flour tortillas because that’s what I grew up using for my quesadillas. I imagine corn tortillas wouldn’t be as flexible and would add more flavor and texture to the dish.
Tips for Making Homemade Chicken Quesadillas
- Feel free to customize these bbq quesadillas depending on what you like. I added extra mozzarella cheese and red onions to my quesadilla, but left off the onions and piled on more barbecue sauce for the hubster.
- For the chicken, I used the shredded rotisserie chicken that you can find near the deli section of your grocery store. You can also use leftover chicken or meal prepped chicken!
- Make sure your pan is nice and hot before adding the quesadilla to it. You want the quesadilla to immediately start cooking, otherwise the tortilla will absorb too much butter and taste oily.
Looking for more homemade quesadilla recipes?
- Pizza Quesadillas
- Pesto Chicken Quesadillas
- Easy Breakfast Quesadillas
- Caprese Chicken Quesadillas
- Quesadilla Burgers
BBQ Chicken Quesadilla
- ¾ cup shredded chicken *(see note below)
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce (any kind)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large flour tortillas
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- ¼ red onion thinly sliced
- In a small bowl, combine the chicken and barbecue sauce. Mix well. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Place one tortilla in middle of pan. Top with ¼ cup shredded cheese. Spread chicken in an even layer on top of cheese, leaving about a ½ inch border around the tortilla.
- Top with onion, followed by rest of cheese. Place second tortilla shell on top of chicken mixture and lightly press down.
- Heat tortilla on both sides, about 3-4 minutes, or until shell turns golden brown and cheese starts to melt. Remove from pan and cut into four slices. Serve immediately.