Caramel Apple Dump Cake
This Caramel Apple Dump Cake is made with just five ingredients. Just dump everything into a baking dish and pop it into the oven! It’s the easiest fall dessert!
Tender cinnamon apples, a gooey caramel center, and a buttery topping — this apple dump cake recipe sounds incredible, doesn’t it?
Luckily for you, this apple dessert tastes delicious and is easy to make. If the name didn’t give it away, all you have to do is dump the ingredients into the baking dish and bake the cake until done.
This caramel apple dump cake tastes like a decadent apple cobbler, but it requires just five basic ingredients. You’ll know it’s ready to come out of the oven when the caramel starts bubbling up around the edges of the baking dish.
Once cool, those edges caramelize and crisp up slightly. Trust me, you’ll want an edge piece of this apple dump cake!
Ingredients for Caramel Apple Dump Cake
To cut back on the prep time, I made this apple dump cake with apple pie filling and boxed cake mix. You can technically make the entire dish from scratch, but I don’t mind taking baking shortcuts when the results taste this good!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this easy apple dump cake:
- Apple pie filling
- Ground cinnamon
- Boxed golden butter cake mix
- Caramel sauce
- Unsalted butter
How to Make Caramel Apple Dump Cake
This apple pie filling dump cake is about as easy as it gets. The prep work for this recipe is minimal, and you can serve the cake immediately or save it for later.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Spread the apple pie filling onto bottom of dish in an even layer.
Sprinkle the filling with cinnamon and then drizzle caramel sauce evenly over top.
Sprinkle the dry cake mix on top of apples in an even layer.
Place sliced butter on top of cake mix, covering as much of the mix as possible.
Bake until the topping is golden and cooked through.
Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
Can This Recipe Be Made in Advance?
Yes, this apple pie filling dump cake can be served right away or made up to one day in advance. If making the recipe in advance, you can either reheat it just before serving or serve it at room temperature.
Can This Recipe Be Frozen?
I imagine so, but I’ve never frozen this caramel apple dump cake myself so I can’t say for certain. I imagine you’d need to let it cool to room temperature and then freeze it in the baking dish you cooked it in.
Or, you can scoop portions into individual freezer containers so long as you don’t mind the filling and topping mixing together!
Can This Recipe Be Made in a Crockpot?
If you’re looking for a Crockpot apple dump cake recipe, I recommend following this recipe instead. I’ve tested that recipe multiple times and know for sure that it works!
Tips for Making Apple Dump Cake
- If desired, you may chop up the apples before adding them to the baking dish. This step isn’t necessary, but some people prefer the apples to be bite-sized.
- I used store-bought caramel sauce, but you can also use Homemade Caramel Sauce.
- I used golden butter cake mix to make this recipe, but yellow cake mix may be substituted.
Looking for More Caramel Apple Desserts?
- Caramel Apple Dump Cake
- Caramel Apple Pie Dip
- Caramel Apple Crisp
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
- Caramel-Drizzled Apple Cobbler
Caramel Apple Dump Cake
- 2 cans (20 ounce) apple pie filling
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup caramel sauce, plus more for topping
- 1 box (16.5 ounce) golden butter cake mix, (yellow works, too)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan or glass dish with cooking spray.
- Spread apple pie filling onto bottom of dish in an even layer. If desired, lightly cut apples with a butter knife into smaller pieces. Sprinkle cinnamon and then drizzle caramel sauce evenly over apple filling.
- Sprinkle dry cake mix on top of apples in an even layer. Place sliced butter on top of cake mix, covering as much of the mix as possible.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until topping is golden and cooked through. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
- Cake will last in an airtight container at room temperature for up to four days.
- See my tips and tricks for making this Caramel Apple Dump Cake above the recipe box.