This Caramel Apple Crisp is an easy, cozy fall dessert that’s ready in no time. Packed with tender apples, a rich caramel sauce, and a buttery, brown sugar topping, this recipe makes the best sweet treat, especially when served with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream!
I’ve mentioned this before, but fruit desserts are my all-time favorite.
Yep, it beats anything with with chocolate, including cakes, cupcakes, and ice cream.
I’m a sucker for pies, cobblers, crisps, and crumbles. In fact, I always requested peach pie for my birthdays growing up, instead of cake. The frosting just didn’t do it for me, and I much preferred a buttery, crispy topping and tender fruit.
And once fall come around, you can bet that I’m craving all of the crisps and cobblers that I can get my hands on. Especially apple anything.
Which is why I just couldn’t pass up the chance to share one of my favorite fall desserts – apple crisp!
Nothing screams fall more than apple crisp, am I right?
What’s even better than regular apple crisp is Caramel Apple Crisp. Throw in some caramel sauce and you’ve taken your regular dessert to a whole new level. After all, Caramel Apple Crisp is where it’s at, friends!
What Makes This Caramel Apple Crisp So Great
- It’s full of cozy fall flavors like apple, cinnamon and caramel. Perfect for crisp autumn weather!
- The topping is so good! It’s golden brown, crunchy, buttery, and full of rich flavor.
- It’s a snap to make – assemble the apple mixture, assemble the topping, put one on top of the other and bake!
I’m a huge lover of fruit crisps (remember this Blueberry Peach Crisp and that Raspberry Rhubarb Crisp?), so I just had to make an apple version. And if you love apples, then I’m sure you know how amazingly delicious apple crisp can be!
After all, it’s all about that crispy, crumbly, buttery topping…right? I could practically live off crisp topping, it’s just so good!
The Caramel Apple Crisp topping is definitely the best of the best. Filled with oats, Rice Krispies cereal (for extra crunch), brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter, the ‘crisp’ part of caramel apple crisp has never looked or tasted better. Mmm mmm good!
- You can use apple pie spice in place of the cinnamon and nutmeg, just use the same total quantity (1 and 1/4 teaspoons).
- When mixing the apples with the sugars and spices, be sure to toss well. The spices will want to fall through the apples and wind up at the bottom of your bowl, so keep tossing to get them all incorporated!
- If the top ends up getting too brown before the apples are fully cooked, cover the top of the dish with aluminum foil until the crisp is done. This will help prevent additional browning.
- Try using different varieties of apples for this recipe – or use the prepackaged sliced apples! All you have to do is remove the skins!
- If you like fall fruits, substitute two of the apples for two large pears! Bosc pears are likely to be your best bet as they are more firm than other pears, like Anjou or Bartlett.
- Add a sprinkle of flaky sea salt on top of a drizzle of caramel when serving to give a slight savoriness to this dish!
Add a big scoop (or three) of vanilla ice cream on top, and you’ve got yourself the most perfectly warm, flavorful and crispy dessert for the fall.
How To Make Caramel Apple Crisp
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray an 8×8 inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Alternatively, you can use four 5-inch mini cast iron skillets. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sliced apples, brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Toss to coat the apples.
- Pour the fruit mixture into the prepared baking dish, Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of caramel sauce.
- To make the topping, in a separate bowl combine the oats, cereal, flour, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon. Stir to mix well until crumbly then sprinkle the topping over the apples.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the fruit is tender and the topping is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. Enjoy!
So if you’re looking for a deliciously sweet way to use up those fresh apples, this Caramel Apple Crisp will hit the spot. Full of cozy fall flavors and so easy to make, you’ll be whipping up this dessert all year long!
Looking for more easy fall desserts? I’ve got you covered!
- Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Dump Cake
- Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cobbler
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
- No-Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake Trifle
did you make and love this recipe? give it your review below and make sure to follow along with me on facebook and instagram to get other great recipe ideas!
Caramel Apple Crisp
- 4 Granny Smith apples peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons caramel sauce plus more for topping, if desired
- ¼ cup old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup Rice Krispies cereal
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly spray an 8x8 square baking dish with cooking spray. Alternatively, you can use four 5 inch mini cast iron skillets. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sliced apples, brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Toss to coat.
- Pour fruit mixture in prepared baking dish. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of caramel sauce.
- To make the topping, in a separate bowl, combine the oats, cereal, flour, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon. Stir to mix well until crumbly. Sprinkle topping over apples.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until fruit is tender and topping is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool.