Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake
Juicy chicken and al dente pasta are coated in the creamiest homemade alfredo sauce to make this Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake. Even the pickiest of eaters will love this easy casserole recipe!
This cheesy chicken alfredo bake ticks every box — it’s quick and easy to assemble, it feeds a crowd (sometimes with leftovers to spare!), and it’s 100% homemade.
That’s right, it’s completely homemade! While I have nothing against store-bought alfredo sauce, it can be very hit or miss. And if I’m going to be indulging in a creamy, cheesy sauce like that, I want to be certain it’s going to taste out-of-this-world delicious.
The quick alfredo sauce I created to flavor this chicken alfredo bake is just that! The sauce takes all over 5 minutes to whisk together in a hot skillet, and you can make it while the pasta is boiling.
Serve this cheesy chicken alfredo bake for dinner next week, you won’t be disappointed!
Ingredients for Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake
This chicken alfredo casserole is made with simple ingredients you can easily find at your local grocery store. Here’s what you’ll need for the homemade alfredo sauce and the rest of the casserole:
- Olive oil
- Chicken breasts
- Garlic powder
- Pasta of choice
- Unsalted butter
- All-purpose flour
- Heavy whipping cream
- 2% milk
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
How to Make Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake
The key to preparing this cheesy chicken alfredo bake quickly is to multitask. Get the pasta water boiling while you brown the chicken, then reuse that same skillet to make the quick alfredo sauce while the pasta is cooking.
Don’t worry, I walk you through everything step-by-step in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of the process:
Heat a large skillet over medium heat until hot and then add olive oil.
Add the chicken to the pan and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook on each side until almost cooked through. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
While the chicken is cooking, prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
To the same skillet, add the butter and melt over medium heat. Add garlic and saute for 45 seconds. Add flour and continuously whisk for 1 minute.
Gradually whisk in the heavy cream and milk over medium heat. Once bubbles form on the sides, reduce heat to low, simmer and whisk constantly until slightly thickened.
Add salt, pepper, stir in shredded Parmesan and ½ cup of mozzarella cheeses, and then remove from heat. Continue to stir until melted and smooth.
Add cooked pasta and chicken to skillet and stir to combine.
Pour into a 9×13-inch pan and top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
Bake until the casserole starts to bubble around the edges and cheese is melted.
How to Thicken Alfredo Sauce
If your homemade alfredo sauce seems runny, it likely just need to simmer for a few extra minutes. Otherwise, you could try adding in some extra mozzarella to thicken it up.
Can I Prepare This Recipe in Advance?
Once assembled, the chicken alfredo casserole is best baked and eaten right away. However, you can prepare the individual components ahead of time (sauce, pasta, chicken) and store separately in the fridge until ready to assemble.
If you make the alfredo sauce in advance, I recommend warming it gently in a saucepan before mixing it with the cubed chicken and pasta. You may need to add a splash of milk to loosen it up.
Can I Make This Recipe Gluten-Free?
Very easily! Simply make the chicken alfredo pasta bake with your favorite gluten-free pasta and gluten-free all-purpose flour substitute, and check that the remaining ingredients are certified gluten-free.
Tips for Making This Chicken Alfredo Bake
- Only cook the pasta until al dente. It will soften as it bakes and soaks up some of the alfredo sauce.
- You can use any type of pasta you’d like in this recipe. I recommend using a short, sturdy pasta like cavatappi or penne.
- I don’t recommend substituting the heavy whipping cream for anything lighter. If you try to make the homemade alfredo sauce with just milk, it will be far too runny to coat the pasta and chicken.
Looking for More Easy Casserole Recipes?
- Chicken and Noodle Casserole
- Baked Spaghetti
- Cheesy Meatball Casserole
- Stovetop Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Easy Cheeseburger Casserole
Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- Salt and black pepper, to season
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 10 ounces uncooked pasta, such as cavatappi
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1½ cups 2% milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat until hot and then add olive oil.
- Add chicken to pan and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook and brown chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until almost cooked through (chicken will continue to cook in oven). Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- To the same skillet, butter and melt over medium heat. Add garlic and saute for 45 seconds. Add flour and continuously whisk for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in heavy cream and milk over medium heat. Once bubbles form on the sides, reduce heat to low, simmer and whisk constantly until slightly thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, stir in shredded Parmesan and ½ cup of mozzarella cheeses, and then remove from heat. Continue to stir until melted and smooth.
- Add cooked pasta and chicken to skillet and stir to combine. Pour into prepared pan and top with remaining ¾ cup mozzarella cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until mixture starts to bubble around the edges and cheese is melted.
- Chicken Alfredo Bake will last in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- See my tips and tricks for making this dish above the recipe box.