These Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies are the best – soft, chewy, and jam-packed with chocolate. Full of oats and hearty flavors, they’re better than those big bakery cookies!
Confession time: I’m not a huge fan of oatmeal cookies.
I never really liked the texture when I was little and certainly didn’t care for the oatmeal cookies that were studded with raisins. I never voluntary tried those cookies, unless you count the store-bought iced oatmeal kind.
Part of the reason I never liked these cookies was because I didn’t start to like oatmeal until I was older, and I still don’t like raisins in anything (although I will eat them plain). And because I never really found an oatmeal cookie without raisins, I always stayed away from them.
But now that my tastes have evolved more and I actually love the texture of oatmeal, I decided to give the cookies another shot and create my version. Since my apple oatmeal cookies turned how to be a huge success, I knew it was time to give it another try. And I was on a mission to make a cookie without raisins and full of chocolate, dark chocolate chunks, to be exact.
And I’m happy to report that these Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies fit my expectations! Soft, chewy, and jam-packed with chocolate, these cookies are full of oats and hearty flavors. Filled with just the right amount of spices, these chocolate chunk cookies are ones that you can really sink your teeth into!
What Makes These Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies So Great
- The hearty oats combine perfectly with the mixture of sweet brown sugar and spices.
- These babies practically melt in your mouth with chocolate-y goodness and make you reach for a second (and third) cookie
- Like most of my recipes, these Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies are a breeze to make. In fact, you can make these in just one bowl!
If you’re a fan of soft and chewy cookies, then these Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies were made for you. Because chocolate makes everything better, these cookies will wow your taste buds. Trust me!
How To Make Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly spray two baking pans with non-stick cooking spray or line with parchment paper or a silpat baking mat. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, baking soda, and salt. Set the bowl aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer with fitted paddle attachment.
- Add in the the eggs, one at a time, followed by vanilla, and beat until combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Gently fold in chocolate chunks, then shape the dough into rounded balls and drop onto the baking pans.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the tops of the cookies are lightly browned and the edges are set.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
- This recipe uses old-fashioned oats, as that’s what I always have stocked in my pantry, so I would recommend using those.
- Make sure not to over mix the dough as it can make your cookies tough or gummy. Mix just long enough until your dough is uniform.
- If you don’t have a large enough oven that distributed heat evenly, you may want to cook one sheet of cookies at a time.
- I opted for the chocolate chunks in this recipe, but feel free to use chocolate chips if that is all you have in your kitchen!
- Substitute 1 cup of whole wheat flour for the white flour to add a little extra fiber to these cookies!
- Add a little crunch by incorporating about 1/4 cup of chopped nuts to the dough! Walnuts or almonds would work well.
Even if you’re not a big oatmeal cookie lover like me, I pinky swear that you will swoon over these Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies! Fresh, full of flavor, and oh-so delicious, these cuties make the sweet treat to munch on all day long!
Looking for more cookie recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Pumpkin Doodle Cookies
- White Chocolate Dipped Eggnog Cookies
- Glazed Apple Oatmeal Cookies
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cookies
did you make and love this recipe? give it your review below and make sure to follow along with me on facebook and instagram to get other great recipe ideas!
Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ tablespoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chunk morsels or chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray two baking pans with non-stick cooking spray or line with parchment paper or a silpat baking mat. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oats, flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, brown sugar, and white sugar with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer with fitted paddle attachment. Add in eggs, one at a time, followed by vanilla, and beat until combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Be careful not to over mix. Gently fold in chocolate chunks.
- Shape dough into rounded balls and drop onto baking pans. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until tops are lightly browned and edges are set.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.