This Peppermint White Hot Chocolate recipe is a classic homemade drink that will warm you up when the weather gets cold. The smooth peppermint flavor and rich white chocolate creates a creamy and indulgent drink that’s easy to make for Christmas!
During the holidays, I’m addicted to Christmas movies. Starting in November and lasting through December, it’s a necessity that I watch as many Christmas movies and holiday TV shows as I can!
If you’re familiar with the ABC Family Channel (now Freeform), they’re playing 25 Days of Christmas movies, as they do every year. And I’m not ashamed to admit that I check the channel every night to see what movie will premier.
Sometimes it’s a winner, sometimes not so much. And those cheesy holiday movies on Hallmark or Lifetime channels, I love them! Don’t judge, guys…I just can’t help it!
And then there are those movies that I pop into my DVR player or watch every single time it’s on television. Mainly Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, Home Alone (1 and 2), Elf, and Prancer. Tell me you’re like that, too? Whenever those movies are on TV, I just have to watch them, even though I own every single one on DVD!
While I may go into Christmas movie overload, it keeps me in the holiday spirit. I eagerly look forward to coming home from work and relaxing with the hubster, a good movie or show, and a cup of hot chocolate to keep me warm. With the Christmas tree lit in the background, I’m a happy girl.
A nightly routine of mine is to have a cup of tea or hot chocolate in the winter. While I sometimes do that when the weather is warmer, it feels more magical when the cold weather sets in. Hot chocolate is an indulgent treat that I love to sip on while relaxing at night. I love to experiment with new flavors and mixes, whipping up a delicious new combination when the mood strikes.
What Makes This Peppermint White Hot Chocolate So Fantastic:
- This drink is rich, creamy, and oh so delicious!
- It’s a classic drink that will warm you up on a cold, winter night.
- This Christmas drink is a breeze to whip up! It uses white chocolate melting wafers, as they melt better than white chocolate chips
Ingredients in Peppermint White Hot Chocolate
You don’t need many ingredients to make white chocolate hot chocolate at home. Here’s what goes into this recipe:
- White chocolate melting wafers
- Peppermint extract
- Crushed peppermint candies and whipped cream, for topping
Can I Make Use Milk or Dark Chocolate?
I’m sure you can, but I’ve only made this recipe as written so I can’t say for sure. If using milk or dark chocolate, you may need to add more or less peppermint extract to taste.
How to Make Peppermint White Hot Chocolate
While I love traditional hot chocolate, white hot chocolate is like a special treat to me. I don’t have it all that often, but when I do, I savor every last sip. Some may even argue that white chocolate isn’t really chocolate, but hey, I don’t care! It’s just as delicious as the real thing.
Add in some peppermint, and you have a drink that will tickle your toes and warm your nose! Candy cane pieces and whipped cream top this off as a festive treat, suitable for hot chocolate lovers everywhere!
In a medium saucepan, bring the milk to a simmer over low heat.
Once simmered, remove the pan from the heat and stir in white chocolate and peppermint extract until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
Pour the mixture into two mugs and garnish with crushed candy canes and whipped cream, if desired.
Recipe Variations To Try
- Switch up the toppings! Use shaved white or milk chocolate, or even mini chocolate chips.
- This recipe works just as well with milk or dark chocolate as it does with white chocolate!
- Try using a different type of milk if you can’t handle dairy – soy, oat, or a nut milk would also work.
Tips for Making White Hot Chocolate
- Be sure and heat the milk over low heat. If you try it over a hotter heat it is likely to burn.
- Keep stirring consistently when melting the chocolate into the milk so it doesn’t clump together or burn.
- Taste a little bit of the drink before pouring it into the mugs. Add more peppermint extract if you like a stronger peppermint flavor.
The next time you’re in the mood for a warm drink, skip the boxed mix or coffee shop and try out this Peppermint Hot Chocolate! Full of flavor and warmth, you’ll be making this drink all throughout the year!
Looking for More Christmas Drink Recipes? I’ve Got You Covered!
- Spiced Gingerbread Latte
- Cookies and Cream Hot Chocolate
- Cinnamon Vanilla Latte
- Cinnamon Maple Latte
- Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate
Peppermint White Hot Chocolate
- 4 cups milk , any kind (I used 2%)
- 8 ounces white chocolate melting wafers or white chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli White Chocolate Melting Wafers)
- ¾ teaspoons peppermint extract
- Crushed candy canes , if desired
- Whipped cream , if desired
- In a medium saucepan, bring milk to a simmer over low heat.
- Once simmered, remove from heat and stir in white chocolate and peppermint extract until completely melted and smooth.
- Pour into two mugs and garnish with crushed candy canes and whipped cream, if desired.