This Oreo Hot Chocolate is creamy, decadent, and ready in less than 10 minutes. Made with two kinds of chocolate and sprinkled with crushed Oreo cookies, this dreamy drink is the perfect cure for those winter blues!
Let’s pretend it’s a lazy weekend day, you’re snuggled up under the covers, and you have a big mug of homemade hot chocolate in front of you.
Maybe it’s snowing outside, maybe it’s raining, maybe it’s sunny and warm depending on where you live…but when you’re all cozy under the covers with a steaming mug of something sweet, that’s all that matters in the world. At least in that moment…right?
And that is my idea of the perfect morning or afternoon!
While that doesn’t happen as often as I would like, I try to cherish those lazy moments. And sipping on something hot is a must for me practically every day, even in the summer! I’m the type of person that is always cold, so you can usually find me bundled under my electric throw blanket come wintertime (and even occasionally in the summer).
I will admit that coffee is my morning must-have, but in the afternoons or evenings, I often sip on hot chocolate during the winter. The thick texture and cozy flavors warm me right up and put a smile on my face. It’s the little things in life that make me happy!
I love the classic hot chocolate flavor, and this Peanut Butter Cup version makes me swoon, as does this Frozen Salted Caramel Mocha Hot Chocolate. So I guess it’s no surprise that I created this Oreo Hot Chocolate, right?
This homemade hot chocolate is creamy, decadent, and ready in less than 10 minutes. Made with two kinds of chocolate and sprinkled with crushed Oreo cookies, this dreamy drink is the perfect cure for those winter blues!
One sip of this deliciousness and I was hooked. Hooked! You can’t go wrong with two kinds of chocolate, simmered with milk for richness, and then topped with fluffy whipped cream and Oreo cookies.
I may have had one (or three) glasses of this in one sitting, it’s just that good. And really, homemade Oreo Hot Chocolate is way better than the packaged kind, friends. It takes just a few minutes to make and then you’ll be in hot chocolate heaven.
So if you have a lazy day ahead of you or want to relax after a busy day, this hot chocolate from scratch is the perfect treat to sip on. Cozy, creamy, chocolatey and oh-so delicious, it’ll be you’re go-to decadent drink all season long!
Ingredients in Oreo Hot Chocolate
For this easy hot chocolate recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Granulated sugar
- Milk chocolate chips
- Cocoa powder
- Vanilla extract
- Oreo cookies
- Whipped cream
How to Make Oreo Hot Chocolate
This would be a great Christmas hot chocolate recipe, just saying! Here are the basic steps to making it:
In a saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, chocolate chips, and cocoa powder. Warm until chocolate is melted and smooth.
Remove from heat just before milk begins to boil. Add vanilla extract and salt. Stir to combine.
Pour mixture into two small glasses or one large mug.
Top with whipped cream and crushed Oreo cookies.
Can I Double This Recipe?
Absolutely! This recipe serves one to two people, depending on how much hot chocolate you drink. You can easily double or even triple this homemade hot chocolate recipe to feed a crowd.
Can I Use Another Type of Chocolate Chips?
Yes, semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips may also be used. You may want to add more or less sugar to taste.
Tips for Making Hot Chocolate From Scratch
- Once you add the chocolate chips into the saucepan, you need to stir the mixture constantly to prevent them from sinking to the bottom and burning.
- Don’t let the milk come to a boil, otherwise it’ll taste scalded.
- If serving a large crowd, you can transfer the hot chocolate mixture to a slow cooker and set it to ‘warm’ so it stays hot all night long. Set out a ladle and the toppings so guests can serve themselves!
Looking for more winter drinks? I’ve got you covered!
- Cinnamon Maple Latte
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Caramel White Hot Chocolate
- Brown Sugar Vanilla Latte
- Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate
- Peppermint White Hot Chocolate
Oreo Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups milk any kind (I used 2%)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Whipped cream for topping
- 3 Oreo cookies crushed
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, white sugar, chocolate chips, and cocoa powder. Warm over medium heat, stirring occasionally until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat just before milk begins to boil. Add vanilla extract and salt. Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into two small glasses or one mug. Top with whipped cream and crushed Oreo cookies. Serve immediately.