Baked Mozzarella Sticks
Full of melty cheese and packed with flavor, these Baked Mozzarella Sticks are healthier than the fried kind and perfect to satisfy the munchies!
Ever have one of those days where you just want to devour everything and anything that you can possibly find in your kitchen? That’s usually me when I get home from work in the afternoons. I will pretty much grab anything that will tide me over until dinner.
Sometimes I crave salty foods like chips and pretzels, while other times I reach for some peanut butter or chocolate. These definitely aren’t the healthiest foods to snack on, but it does the trick of satisfying my hunger panes.
So when I got home from running errands last weekend, I felt my stomach starting to growl. But instead of reaching for the salty stuff, I decided to whip up one of my favorite snacks, but turn it into a healthier version.
And if you’re like me, anything filled with cheese is a winner in my book. In fact, I could eat cheese on just about anything, I love it that much. I pile it on tacos, baked potatoes, pizza, salads, and everything else in between. After all, that’s what it was meant for, right?
If you’re a fan of mozzarella sticks, then these Baked Mozzarella Sticks were made for you! They’re so easy to whip up and taste even better than the fried kind. The outside bakes up crispy and has a whole lot of flavor, while the inside is just oozing with melty cheese. Dip these babies in some marinara sauce, and you have yourself a crispy and delicious appetizer or snack.
So the next time you have a taste for the munchies, why not whip up these easy and delicious Baked Mozzarella Sticks? Brimming with flavor and melty cheese, this is the ultimate, healthier snack!
What’s Needed for Baked Mozzarella Sticks?
These homemade mozzarella sticks come together with minimal ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need to make these baked cheese sticks:
- Mozzarella cheese sticks
- All-purpose flour
- Italian flavored breadcrumbs
- Garlic powder
- Marinara sauce
How to Make Baked Mozzarella Sticks
Because these Baked Mozzarella Sticks take just minutes to prepare, they’re perfect for an after work or school snack or to cure those late night munchies. Since they’re baked, you don’t have to feel quite as guilty about sneaking a third (or fifth) stick. Sounds pretty good, right?
- Cut the cheese sticks in half.
- Dredge the cheese sticks first in flour, then beaten eggs, then a mixture of breadcrumbs, garlic powder and pepper.
- Freeze the breaded mozzarella sticks for at least 30 minutes.
- Bake until lightly golden on outside, then serve with marinara sauce.
Can I Freeze Homemade Mozzarella Sticks?
Yes! Once you’ve breaded the mozzarella cheese sticks, freeze them on a baking tray. Once hardened, seal inside a freezer bag. You can bake the healthy mozzarella sticks straight from frozen.
Tips for the Best Mozzarella Sticks
- You can also use regular breadcrumbs in this recipe. You may want to stir in a little Italian seasoning to add extra flavor, but it’s optional.
- You can use any kind of mozzarella cheese sticks you’d like for this recipe.
- You MUST freeze the homemade mozzarella sticks before baking them. If you don’t, the cheese will ooze out of the breading.
Looking for more snack recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Caramel Apple Baked Brie
- Stuffed Pizza Rolls
- Chocolate Cherry Granola Cups
- Cookies and Cream Popcorn
- Chicken Caprese Quesadillas
Baked Mozzarella Sticks
- 12 mozzarella cheese sticks
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup Italian flavored breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash of pepper
- Marinara sauce for dipping, , if desired
- Cut cheese sticks in half. Set aside. Line a large baking pan with parchment paper or silpat baking mat. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour. In a small bowl, lightly whisk the eggs.
- In another medium bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, garlic powder, and pepper. Lightly stir.
- Dredge each cheese stick in the flour mixture, then dunk into egg mixture, and finally coat all sides with breadcrumb mixture. Repeat with each cheese stick.
- Place onto lined baking tray and freeze for 30 minutes to 1 hour (to ensure that cheese doesn't melt too much when baking).
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly golden on outside. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping, if desired.