This Cheeseburger Casserole is loaded with the flavors of a classic cheeseburger, but in comfort food form. Tender pasta, seasoned ground beef, and a sprinkling of spices and cheese make this dish a family favorite for dinner!
Have I mentioned how much I dislike winter? The freezing cold temps, snow, wind, ice, sleet, people who don’t know how to drive in the snow, I could go on and on…
And now you’re probably asking why I live in the Midwest…right? Yeah, me too! But, that will change one day. And I have to admit that the first flurries of the season are pretty, as is the first snowfall. But, after the holidays are over, I’m ready for spring. No more snow and cold weather, please!
I guess I should really stop complaining, though. Chicago gets all four seasons, doesn’t endure a horrible winter like other parts of the U.S. or Canada does, and usually gets a hot summer, and nice spring and fall. But still…
Until then, I’m trudging through winter with the best tool that I have: food! But, not just any food, comfort food!
You know, the kind that’s hearty, warm, and sticks to your ribs. There are a lot of dishes out there that I love, and I’ve just happened to stumble across a new favorite that got the hubster’s approval (which is saying a lot!).
This cheeseburger casserole is loaded with the flavors of a classic cheeseburger, but in comfort food form. Tender pasta, seasoned ground beef, and a sprinkling of spices and cheese make this dish a family favorite for dinner! And nothing says comfort food more than a warm and hearty casserole. Am I right?
If you love cheeseburgers, then this cheeseburger casserole was made for you. I was inspired by this recipe from a Taste of Home magazine, and I’m so glad I was. The flavors and simple ingredients make this a meal-time winner!
And easy…talk about an easy meal! But, you knew that was coming, right? After all, I’m all about those simple to make, family-friendly dishes, and this one couldn’t get any better.
So, forget about those cold-weather blahs, grab those ingredients, and whip up this warm and cozy casserole. Your tastebuds will thank you!
What’s in Cheeseburger Casserole?
Here’s all you’ll need to make this cheesy ground beef pasta casserole:
- Rotini pasta
- Ground beef
- White onion
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Roma tomatoes
- Tomato sauce
- Seasoned salt and pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese
How to Make Cheeseburger Casserole
Simply cook the pasta until tender, and then toss with some seasoned ground beef, chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, and a sprinkling of cheese. Pop it into the oven and in no time, your hearty, comfort food will be ready to be devoured. See, told you it was easy!
Do I Have to Use Ground Beef?
No, you’re welcome to use any kind of ground meat you’d like. Ground beef will give you the most authentic cheeseburger flavor, but ground turkey or chicken work just as well.
Tips for Making Cheeseburger Casserole
The best part about this Cheeseburger Casserole is that it’s so easy to customize depending on your tastes. Have picky eaters that don’t like tomatoes? Leave them out! Love pickles? Add it in. Want a heartier sauce? Switch out the tomato sauce for spaghetti sauce! The possibilities are endless!
Likewise, feel free to use a blend of cheeses rather than just cheddar. Whatever cheese you love on your cheeseburgers will work!
If you wind up with leftovers, I recommend reheating them gently in the microwave or in the oven.
Looking for more ground beef and pasta recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Easy Baked Ziti
- Pepperoni Pizza Hamburger Helper
- Creamy Ground Beef Pasta
- Instant Pot Spaghetti
- Lasagna Rolls
- 8 ounces dry rotini pasta (or any pasta that you prefer)
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ cup diced white onion
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 roma tomatoes , diced
- 12 ounces tomato sauce (about 1 1/2 cans)
- ¾ teaspoon seasoned salt
- Black pepper , to taste
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8x8-inch casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain and pour into prepared dish.
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble ground beef, onion, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder until beef is no longer pink. Drain, if needed. Add beef mixture to prepared dish.
- Add about half of chopped tomatoes to beef mixture, followed by tomato sauce, seasoned salt, and black pepper. Toss everything together. Add rest of chopped tomatoes on top of mixture, followed by cheese.
- Loosely cover pan with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until mixture is bubbly and cheese is melted. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes before serving.
- Casserole can be easily customized depending on your tastes. Spaghetti sauce can be swapped in for tomato sauce, pickles can be added, etc.