Pepperoni Pizza Hamburger Helper
This Pepperoni Pizza Hamburger Helper From Scratch is a simple, one pan dish that’s ready in just 30 minutes. Better than the boxed kind, this cheesy pasta combines the classic flavors of pepperoni pizza that’ll be a hit at the dinner table for years to come!
Growing up, I always loved having hamburger helper for dinner. I didn’t eat it as much as I wouldn’t liked, so you can bet that I made it more often when I learned how to cook. Even now, I still enjoy picking up a box every once in a while for an easy meal.
But, to my dismay, the hubster does not like hamburger helper. At all. I think we’ve had it two, maybe three times, since we’ve been together (10 years now!), and he always tells me to make it when he’ll be out of town or not home for dinner. At least he tries, right?
I will admit that I am always surprised that he doesn’t like it, as it’s just essentially noodles, ground beef, and some fake, powdery, cheesy type stuff. But, nevertheless, no matter the flavor combo that I buy, the hubster doesn’t change his feelings on this stuff.
So, when I got the brilliant idea to make my own, homemade version of hamburger helper, the hubster was a little leery of my idea. After assuring him that it would not taste like the packaged kind, he agreed to give it a try.
And guess what? He loved this Pepperoni Pizza Hamburger Helper. In fact, he almost devoured half of it in one sitting. True story, friends. And that makes me one happy wife. I got to eat my beloved, homemade hamburger helper and the hubster did, too, and enjoyed it.
This Pepperoni Pizza Hamburger Helper is a simple, one pan dish that’s ready in just 30 minutes. Better than the boxed kind, this cheesy pasta combines the classic flavors of pepperoni pizza that’ll be a hit at the dinner table for years to come!
Easy, cheesy, hearty, meaty, pepperoni-y, and all-around delicious, what more could you ask for? The pepperoni gives this dish a nice little kick, along with some seasonings and melty, mozzarella cheese.
So, if you’re in need of an easy dinner idea (who isn’t, right?), then look no further, because this Pepperoni Pizza Hamburger Helper will hit the spot! Fast, fresh and flavorful, it’s guaranteed to be a favorite with both kids and adults!
Ingredients for Homemade Hamburger Helper
To make this creamy pizza pasta, you’ll need:
- Ground beef
- Spices (Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder)
- Beef broth
- Tomato sauce
- Elbow macaroni
- Shredded mozzarella
How to Make Hamburger Helper From Scratch
Like most of my recipes, this homemade hamburger helper is a breeze to make. Just one pan and thirty minutes is all it takes. Even the pasta cooks with the other ingredients, too, so no need to boil a separate pot of water.
In a large skillet, brown and crumble the ground beef until no longer pink.
Stir in the spices, pepperoni, beef broth, milk, tomato sauce, and macaroni. Bring mixture to a boil.
Then, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 10-12 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
Remove from heat and stir in mozzarella cheese until melted. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
What Can I Substitute for Milk in Hamburger Helper?
If you don’t have milk on hand or can’t have dairy milk, you’re welcome to use a non-dairy alternative or make this hamburger helper from scratch using all beef broth. Omitting the milk entirely will result in a pizza pasta that’s far less creamy, but it will still taste good.
What to Serve with Homemade Hamburger Helper
This pizza pasta pairs well with any number of side dishes. Here are some of my favorite hamburger helper sides:
- Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Apple Cranberry Pecan Salad
- Shaved Asparagus Pesto Salad
- Roasted Garlic Lemon Broccoli
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower
Tips for Making DIY Hamburger Helper
- I used ground beef in this homemade hamburger helper, but to give it more of a ‘pizza’ taste, you could easily use some crumbled Italian sausage, too.
- Another great way to make this dish taste even more like pizza is to use pizza sauce instead of plain tomato sauce.
- You’re welcome to add your favorite veggies to this dish. Sauté them before adding the ground beef to the pan.
Looking for more quick pasta dishes? I’ve got you covered!
- Stovetop Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Creamy Sausage and Mushroom Rigatoni
- Instant Pot Pesto Chicken Pasta
- Creamy Ground Beef Pasta
- Basil Pesto Pasta with Broccoli and Mushrooms
Pepperoni Pizza Hamburger Helper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper, , to taste
- 5 ounces pepperoni, , quartered
- 1½ cups beef broth
- 1½ cups milk, (I used 1%)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, , uncooked
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Parsley, for garnish, (if desired)
- In a large skillet, brown and crumble ground beef until no longer pink. Drain and return to skillet.
- Stir in Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, pepperoni, beef broth, milk, tomato sauce, and macaroni. Bring mixture to a boil. Then, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 10-12 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in mozzarella cheese until melted. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
I admit it, I love Hamburger Helper, so it is great to have this healthier version! Pinning!