These Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes are crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, and loaded with flavor. A savory garlic butter mixture coats the potatoes and then they’re roasted to perfection, with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. Easy to make and even better to eat, this is sure to become a favorite side for dinner!
You know what makes a great form of therapy when you’re feeling stressed? Smashing potatoes!
As I was whipping up these Parmesan Garlic Smashed Potatoes in my kitchen a while back, I couldn’t help but enjoy the smashing technique to get these into form. While it only took a minute or two at that, I never realized how fun smashing can be!
Seriously though, it was fun. It’s the little things in life that make you happy, right? And being in the kitchen is my therapy. It puts me in a good mood, gets my mind off of whatever is bothering me, and is my creative outlet. It’s my happy place and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
What about you? Do you have a happy place like that? Somewhere you can go forget about your problems and let your creative energy shine? I’d love to know!
But now, let’s get to to the star of the show, because I can’t wait to talk about my new favorite kind of potato.
There’s just something about crispy smashed baby red potatoes potatoes that always puts a smile on my face. Sure, I love mashed potatoes with the best of them (especially these Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes), but I absolutely hate peeling potatoes! It’s the reason why I hardly ever make mashed potatoes, unless it’s warranted by a comfort dish that calls for mashed potatoes, or from the hints of a mashed potato-loving husband.
But, with baby potatoes, there’s no peeling involved, and that automatically makes me happy. Just roast them them to perfection or, in this case, smash them!
And you know me…I’m all about garlic parmesan anything. In fact, I’m thinking of starting a separate category on my site just for garlic parmesan recipes! Only kidding…sort of. I just love the flavor combo!
I mean, this Garlic Parmesan Gnocchi with Mushrooms, that Roasted Garlic Parmesan Broccoli, these Baked Garlic Parmesan Potato Wedges, and this Garlic Parmesan Pasta with Spinach and Mushrooms are just naming a few of the garlic parmesan recipes that I have on Pumpkin ‘N Spice.
So if you’re practically addicted to this flavor combo like I am, then these easy Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes were made for you! Crispy, yet tender, and loaded with flavor, this will become your new favorite way to eat potatoes!
Ingredients for Parmesan Garlic Smashed Potatoes
These smashed garlic potatoes require very few ingredients, which is one of the many reasons I love them! Here’s what you’ll need to make these smashed baby red potatoes:
- Baby red potatoes
- Unsalted butter
- Fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
How to Make Smashed Potatoes
It’s easier than you’d think to make homemade roasted smashed potatoes. Here are the basic steps:
Place potatoes in a large pot filled with water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork-tender.
Once potatoes are ready, place in an even layer on a parchment paper-lined pan.
Using the bottom of a glass, gently smash potatoes, but keep each potato in one piece. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter, garlic, and parsley. Brush mixture over smashed potatoes.
Bake for 14-16 minutes.
Remove from oven and sprinkle each potato with shredded Parmesan cheese.
Heat oven to a medium broil, position oven rack near top, and broil potatoes until cheese is melted and crispy.
Can I Use Another Type of Potato?
I’m sure you can, although I prefer using baby red potatoes in this parmesan smashed potatoes recipe because they cook so quickly and the skin is thin enough that you don’t need to peel them.
Tips for Making Garlic Smashed Potatoes
- When boiling the potatoes, it’s important that you place them in the water and then bring it to a boil. Don’t add potatoes to already boiling water, otherwise the outsides will cook before the insides do.
- For the best flavor, buy a block of Parmesan and shred it yourself.
- Be sure to line your baking tray with parchment paper or liberally grease with non-stick spray, otherwise the smashed garlic potatoes will stick to the tray.
Looking for more potato side dishes? I’ve got you covered!
- Garlic Herb Sweet Potato Wedges
- Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Instant Pot Garlic Herb Potatoes
- Cinnamon Brown Sugar Sweet Potatoes
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds baby red potatoes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
- 4 cloves garlic , pressed (or 3 tablespoons minced garlic)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley , plus more for garnish
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- 4 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place potatoes in a large pot filled with water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork-tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- While potatoes are boiling, preheat oven to 450F. Line a large baking pan (may need two pans) with parchment paper or grease well with non-stick cooking spray.
- Once potatoes are ready, place in an even layer on prepared pan. Using the bottom of a glass (my preferred method) or a potato masher, gently smash potatoes, but keep each potato in one piece. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter, garlic, and parsley. Brush mixture over smashed potatoes. Season potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, then remove from oven and sprinkle each potato with shredded Parmesan cheese. Heat oven to a medium broil, position oven rack near top, and broil potatoes until cheese is melted and crispy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with additional Parmesan cheese and parsley, if desired.
- Serve immediately.