Honey Garlic Chicken Stir Fry
This Honey Garlic Chicken Stir Fry is an easy, one pan meal that’s ready in just 30 minutes. Fresh vegetables and chicken are tossed in a sweet and savory sauce and can be served with noodles or rice. This simple recipe is a dish that the whole family will enjoy!
It’s time for another 30 minute meal, friends! Time is flyin’ and I’m kinda loving that the colder months are zipping on by. But, don’t get me wrong, I’m not wishing the year away. I’m just ready for it to be a little warmer and sunnier around here.
So tell me, are you a fan of stir-fries? Or is it stir-frys? But, back to the point, what are your feelings about it?
I am a stir-fry lover, but for some reason, I always forget about this option for dinner. Instead, it’s mostly a dish that I order out, or gasp, grab from the frozen section of the grocery store and pop into a skillet for a quick dinner.
But, I’m about to change that today. And since I love a quick and easy meal, I took on the challenge of creating this Honey Garlic Chicken Stir-Fry in just 30 minutes. That way, I have no excuse to not make a homemade version that doesn’t take a lot of prep time.
And I think I created a winner, friends! Now I know that this easy chicken stir-fry is nothing new, but for me, it’s one of my favorite kinds. And it has chicken in it! Remember from this post that I’m not the biggest fan of chicken because it’s often plain and boring to me? Well, not anymore!
What Makes This Garlic Chicken Stir-Fry So Good:
- These veggies give this dish the perfect amount of crunch, and freshness, too!
- It’s so easy to customize depending on your tastes – don’t like asparagus, swap it for broccoli!
- The stir-fry sauce is divine – it’s sweet and savory and might just be my favorite to date!
Now that I made my own simple chicken stir-fry, I think I will definitely be skipping the takeout more often and making my own at home. It’s so easy to make, friends! So easy! Why have I not tried this before?
What’s in Honey Garlic Chicken Stir-Fry?
This easy chicken stir fry is flavored with the most incredible garlic stir fry sauce! Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe:
- Olive oil
- Baby bella mushrooms
- Bell peppers
- Chicken breasts
- Low-sodium chicken broth
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
How to Make Honey Garlic Chicken Stir-Fry
One bite and you’ll fall in love with the tender chicken, fresh veggies, and sweet and savory sauce. This simple chicken stir-fry recipe is sure to be a favorite all year long!
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add veggies and season with salt and pepper. Saute until tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add minced garlic to the skillet and cook for 30 seconds. Remove veggies to a separate plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook until no longer pink, about 4-5 minutes per side.
- While chicken is cooking, whisk chicken broth, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, and cornstarch in a small bowl until smooth.
- Add veggies back to skillet with chicken, pour the stir fry sauce over chicken and veggies, and heat until sauce is boiling and becomes thick, about 1 minute. Don’t forget to stir occasionally otherwise the sauce will burn.
- Remove from heat and serve with rice or noodles, if desired.
- Mix up the veggies in this dish! Use whatever is in season or try different types of mushrooms or peppers.
- Bring some heat to this easy chicken stir-fry recipe by adding some crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce.
- Looking for an alternative to corn starch? You could also use arrowroot powder in the same quantity.
- Want to use a different protein? Try replacing the chicken with shrimp! The cooking time will be shorter, roughly 2 minutes per side – you’ll cook the shrimp until it’s pink and opaque all the way through.
Can I Use Frozen Veggies?
I prefer using fresh veggies in this Chinese honey garlic chicken stir-fry, but I bet frozen would work too. You’ll likely need to add a couple extra minutes to the cook time if using frozen.
Tips for Making a Garlic Chicken Stir-Fry
- Trim the bottoms of your asparagus before you cut them in half! You can either snap them off, which they’ll break at the point they’re starting to become tender (which is what you want), or you can cut an inch to an inch and a half off all of them at once.
- Want to take some of the prep work out? Buy pre-cut veggies at the store!
- If you want your chicken to get golden brown, don’t move it around in the pan when cooking it. Let it sit for a few minutes, then flip it and let it cook for the rest of the time until it’s done.
- Looking for a fast way to peel garlic? Put it in a tupperware container and shake vigorously for a couple minutes. The peel should come right off!
Looking for more easy meals? I’ve got you covered!
- Chicken and Spinach Pesto Quesadillas
- Baked Honey Garlic Chicken
- Honey Garlic Salmon Quinoa Bowl
- Honey Garlic Shrimp and Cilantro Lime Rice Bowl
Honey Garlic Chicken Stir-Fry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, , ends trimmed and halved
- 8 ounces fresh sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper, , cut into thin strips
- 1 green pepper, , cut into thin strips
- Salt and pepper, , to taste
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, , cubed
Honey Garlic Sauce
- ¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2½ teaspoons cornstarch
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add asparagus, mushrooms, red bell pepper, and green pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add minced garlic to skillet and cook for 30 seconds. Remove veggies to a separate plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook until no longer pink, about 4-5 minutes per side. To achieve the golden color, try not to move chicken until ready to flip.
- While chicken is cooking, in a small bowl whisk chicken broth, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, and cornstarch until smooth.
- Add veggies back to skillet with chicken, pour honey garlic sauce over chicken and veggies and heat until sauce is boiling and becomes thick, about 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and serve with white rice, if desired.
I am SUCH a fan of stir-fry! It’s one of mine and my boyfriend’s favorite things to cook together. 🙂 There’s literally just so many flavor options! Speaking of which, I have NEVER had a honey garlic stir-fry so this one is definitely going on the dinner agenda!
Aren’t stir fries the best?! Thanks, Sarah!
I love stir-fry dinners and sometimes forget about them too! They’re so quick and easy and such a great way to clean out the fridge. 🙂 This has so many ingredients I love Gayle!
Thank you, Marcie!
I LOVE STIR FRYS! THIS ONE LOOKS SO COLORFUL AND DELICIOUS! CAN’T WAIT TO TRY IT!
I am a stir-fry-aholic when it comes to dinner! haha I make them ALL the time – so quick and easy! This honey garlic version sounds delicious!!
It sure is! Thanks, Ashley!
You’ve got a lot of good flavors going on in your stir fry, it sounds terrific.
It’s a favorite of mine, Karen!
Can you use frozen vegetable?
Hi Carol! I haven’t tried it with frozen vegetables, but I would think it would work. You will probably need to adjust the cooking time then.
I made this for dinner tonight and it was a winner for our family! I added extra soy sauce and honey because I didn’t realize seasame oil was such a bold flavor.. I saute’d my vetables quite a bit because we prefer a more tender bite than a crunchy.. all in all a great meal!
I’m so glad you liked this, Krista! Thanks for stopping by and letting me know how it turned out!