Skip the takeout and make your own Healthy Chicken Burrito Bowl at home! It’s loaded with juicy chicken, cilantro lime rice, black beans, corn, fresh tomatoes, and avocado. Drizzled with a soy sauce marinade and ready in no time, this meal is sure to become a family favorite!
Let’s talk about chicken today, shall we? It’s the meat that I cook the most in my kitchen, yet order at a restaurant the least. It’s flavorful, yet boring to me. And I think it’s safe to say that I have a love/hate relationship with it.
Chicken in soup? Sign me up! Shredded chicken for sandwiches? You betcha. Chicken in a cozy casserole or as a fried strip or nugget? It was made for me. But, chicken breasts, chicken cutlets, or anything else of the kind…it’s too plain and boring for me.
Whenever the hubster suggests chicken for dinner, I silently, or really not-so-silently, groan and try to think of new ways to spice it up. Remember when I said that I don’t order chicken out? That’s true…I really don’t. Unless it’s smothered in cheese, a zesty sauce, or topped with lots of mushrooms.
So, in order for me to make it at home, it’s gotta be really good. Enter: this homemade burrito bowl recipe!
Skip the takeout and make your own healthy chicken burrito bowl at home! It’s loaded with juicy chicken, cilantro lime rice, black beans, corn, fresh tomatoes, and avocado. Drizzled with a soy sauce marinade and ready in no time, this meal is sure to become a family favorite!
And you know me, I’m all about the easy meals!
The name pretty much says it all, friends. This burrito bowl is easy to make and perfect to customize depending on your tastes. It will also save you the time and effort of waiting in that drive-thru line or waiting for takeout. This chicken burrito bowl recipe is fast, fresh, and flavorful.
Chicken Burrito Bowl Ingredients
This healthy chicken burrito bowl recipe is fairly flexible and can be switched up to suit whatever is in your fridge. Here’s what I used to make my homemade chicken burrito bowls:
- Chicken breasts
- Soy sauce
- Olive oil
- Cooked rice
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime juice
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Canned black beans
- Fresh or frozen corn
- Roma tomatoes
- Sour cream
How to Make Chicken Burrito Bowls
Did I mention how simple this Easy Chicken Burrito Bowl is to make? If you’re looking for the next meal-time winner, this Easy Chicken Burrito Bowl is sure to steal the spotlight. Grab those ingredients and get cookin’ today!
- Marinate two chicken breasts in soy sauce for about a half hour before cooking it.
- Once the rice is cooked, toss it with some freshly chopped cilantro and lime juice.
- Layer on the sliced chicken, and then add the toppings. I used a combination of black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, avocado, and a sprinkling of cheese. Easy peasy and oh-so good!
Can I Meal Prep Chicken Burrito Bowls?
Very easily! Simply cook the chicken and rice ahead of time, and prep the veggies in advance. Store everything in separate containers, then assemble homemade burrito bowls throughout the week.
Alternately, you can assemble the chicken burrito bowls using individual Tupperware containers and reheat them in the microwave for extra quick lunches.
Tips for Making Chicken Burrito Bowls
As I mentioned before, this chicken burrito bowl recipe is very flexible. I used chicken breasts, but I bet you could use ground chicken or turkey as well.
Instead of the soy sauce marinade, try using your favorite taco seasoning.
Likewise, change up the burrito bowl toppings to suit your preferences and to use up any veggies in your pantry that are about to go bad.
Looking for more Mexican chicken recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- BBQ Chicken Quesadilla
- Baked Chicken Tacos
- 30-Minute Baked Chicken Ranch Taquitos
- One-Pan Chicken Enchilada Bake
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Easy Chicken Burrito Bowl
- 2 boneless chicken breasts , pounded thin
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 2 cups cooked brown or white rice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of one lime
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn , warmed
- 2 roma tomatoes , diced
- 1 avocado , diced
- Salsa and/or sour cream , if desired
- Place chicken breasts in a large ziploc bag, add soy sauce, and seal bag. Gently shake bag to ensure chicken is covered with sauce. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- To cook chicken, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned. Cover skillet and cook for 7-8 more minutes, or until cooked through.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Then, slice chicken and set aside.
- To make cilantro lime rice, add cooked rice to a medium bowl. Add cilantro and lime juice and toss to coat. Divide rice among two bowls.
- Top each bowl with chicken slices, shredded cheese, black beans, corn, tomatoes, and avocado. Serve immediately.