Instant Pot Stroganoff
Instant Pot Stroganoff is the best comfort meal made in just one pot. With tender beef, noodles, and a savory, creamy sauce, this hearty dish is perfect for everyone!
Instant Pot Stroganoff
If you’re looking for the best comfort food recipe, I’ve got a winner for you!
I’ve always been a fan of beef stroganoff. It reminds me of my childhood, even though I didn’t have it too often growing up. If you remember this one pot beef stroganoff from a few years ago, it’s a favorite of mine, and the hubster’s, too.
And because I love creating new instant pot recipes, this quick and easy beef stroganoff made in the instant pot is hearty, comforting, fast, and easy. Just what an instant pot recipe should be!
This beef stroganoff recipe tastes like it has been simmering all day, with that tender, meat and savory stroganoff sauce. But it’ll be our little secret that this recipe is ready in under an hour.
Even the noodles are cooked entirely in the instant pot. And that means less dishes, and less clean up!
Instant Pot Stroganoff Ingredients:
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Sirloin steak (or stew meat)
- Worcestershire sauce
- Beef broth
- Egg noodles
- Sour cream
What’s the Best Beef for Stroganoff?
I like to use sirloin steak or ribeye for this easy stroganoff recipe. However, stew meat works well if you’re not looking to spend as much. And, it’s cubed too, for convenience!
How to Make Beef Stroganoff in the Instant Pot:
- Set your Instant Pot to the ‘sauté’ setting. Once hot, add butter. When melted, add the onion and cook until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add beef to Instant Pot and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Sear meat on all sides until browned.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 cup of beef broth. Scrape the bottom and sides of pot to deglaze so that you don’t receive a burn warning.
- In a separate bowl, whisk rest of beef broth and cornstarch. Add to pot, along with mushrooms, and stir.
- Cover, place into lock position, and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Do a quick release once timer goes off, add dry noodles, and stir.
- Cover and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. Do a quick release, and stir. Let cook for 5 minutes, then stir in sour cream and adjust seasonings, if needed.
How to Reheat Homemade Beef Stroganoff:
The easiest way to reheat this easy stroganoff recipe is in the microwave until warmed through. However, you can reheat on the stove. If using this method, you may need to add more sour cream so the texture isn’t too gloppy.
Can You Freeze This?
While it’s best to freeze the sauce and meat only (no noodles), you can freeze the entire dish. Simply place in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to three months.
How Long Will This Dish Last?
This beef stroganoff recipe will last in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Tips for Making Instant Pot Stroganoff:
- Be sure to use a quality cut of meat, if possible. I like to use sirloin steak or boneless rib eye for maximum flavor. However, if you want something a bit cheaper, beef stew meat will also work.
- Searing the meat in the Instant Pot will give it a nice crust and enhance the flavor.
- If you want to add more flavor to this beef stroganoff recipe, replace half of the beef broth with dry white wine.
- Dijon mustard will also add a hint of flavor to this dish.
Looking for Instant Pot Dinners? I’ve got you covered!
- Instant Pot Sloppy Joes
- Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice
- Instant Pot Pesto Chicken with Pasta
- Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup
- Instant Pot Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Instant Pot No Bean Chili
Instant Pot Stroganoff
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 pounds sirloin steak or boneless ribeye , cubed (or beef stew meat)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 16 ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 3 cups beef broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 10 ounces wide egg noodles
- ¾ cup sour cream
- Set Instant Pot to 'sauté' setting. Once pot is hot, add butter and olive oil. Add onion and cook until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add beef and season with garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir beef mixture around to coat with seasonings and then let brown on all sides, about 5-6 minutes. Press the 'cancel' button once beef is browned.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 cup beef broth. Scrape the bottom of the pot with a spoon to get the browned bits unstuck from the bottom of pot.
- In a separate bowl, whisk beef broth and cornstarch. Add to pot, along with mushrooms and stir.
- Cover, place into lock position and make sure the valve is in the 'sealing' position. Press the 'manual' button and set the timer for 10 minutes on high pressure. **Remember that it will take the IP about 15 minutes to come to pressure and then will count down from 10 minutes**
- When the timer goes off, do a quick release by turning the valve to the venting position and letting steam release until the pin drops. I like to place a folded kitchen towel over the valve so that it catches the steam.
- Remove lid and stir in uncooked noodles. Cover, place into lock position (and make sure the valve is in the 'sealing' position). Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. Do another quick release.
- Stir and let cool for 5 minutes. Add sour cream and additional seasonings (if desired) and stir.