Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice is a simple, one pot recipe that’s ready in no time. With just a few ingredients, this dish is perfect for meal prepping, lunch, or dinner!
Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice
One dish that I crave quite often is chicken fried rice.
But what I absolutely love is easy fried rice. And since I’ve been making it non-stop lately, I decided to put my pressure cooker to good use and whip up this easy Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice.
And I firmly stand by the belief that this is better than takeout chicken fried rice. You can control exactly what goes in this dish and how much flavor you want. Scrambled eggs, peas, carrots, chicken, and rice….simple yet oh-so good!
This rice recipe is not only a breeze to whip up, but it makes a delicious dinner or simple lunch throughout the week. You can prep this instapot chicken fried rice on Sunday and have your meals ready to go every day.
How to make Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice:
Just one pot (your pressure cooker, of course!) and a handful of ingredients is all it takes to whip up this deliciousness.
- To start, melt some butter your IP (using the sauté button) and then scramble two eggs. Remove to a separate plate and set aside.
- Add some olive oil to the pot and then brown some diced chicken breast pieces. It’s not necessary to cook the chicken all the way, as it will do so once the pot is locked and pressurized.
- To the chicken, add the rice and sauté about 30-45 seconds. This helps the rice maintain its texture and not turn mushy once cooked.
- Add some chicken broth and spices to the IP, then close, seal, and cook on the ‘manual’ setting for about 3 minutes. After a natural release is done for about 10 minutes, do a quick release and uncover the pot.
- Stir in the peas and carrots, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Stir and season to taste, adding more soy sauce, if needed. Stir in the scrambled eggs and get ready to devour!
What kind of rice to use for Instant Pot Fried Rice?
I used basmati rice for this recipe. However, any type of long grain rice will work, such as jasmine or brown rice.
How do you make rice not mushy in the Instant Pot?
Great question! I sautéd the rice in the IP for about 30-45 seconds before adding the liquid so that it would help retain its texture. You can also rinse the rice under cold water before cooking to remove some of the starches, if needed. You also want to be sure that you do not use too much liquid when cooking, which will result in that soft, mushy texture.
How to meal prep fried rice in Instant Pot?
Using this fried rice recipe is a great idea for meal prepping throughout the week, or even freezing for a later date. Once the rice has cooled to room temperature, store in airtight containers (I like to use glass) or freezer-safe containers if freezing.
When ready to serve, simply reheat in the microwave or on the stove. If serving from the freezer, be sure to let thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
This really is the BEST Instant Pot chicken fried rice. There. I said it. It’s really that good.
Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Instant Pot No Bean Chili
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Garlic Herb Potatoes
- Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup
- Instant Pot Creamy Macaroni & Cheese
Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium chicken breasts cubed into small pieces
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2⅓ cups chicken broth
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots thawed (can usually find a bag in your grocer's freezer section that is both peas & carrots in one)
- 4-5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1½ teaspoons sesame oil
- Set Instant Pot to 'sauté' setting. Once pot is hot, add butter and let melt. Add in eggs and scramble in the pot until cooked. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- While still on 'sauté' mode, add olive oil to the bottom of pot. Add cubed chicken and cook for about 2-3 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pot so that you don't receive a burn warning. It is not necessary to cook chicken completely, as it will do so once comes to pressure.
- Add rice in with chicken and sauté for about 30-45 seconds. This will help rice retain its texture and not become mushy when cooked.
- Add chicken broth, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir and then cover, place into lock position, and make sure the valve is in the 'sealing' position. Press the 'manual' button and cook for 3 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, let the pot do a natural release for 10 minutes. Then, do a quick release by turning the valve to the venting position and letting the steam release until the pin drops. **I like to place a folded kitchen towel over the valve so that it catches the steam**
- Remove lid, stir in peas and carrots, soy sauce, and sesame oil until combined. Taste and add more soy sauce, salt and/or pepper, if needed. Stir in scrambled eggs. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was tested and made in a 6 quart Instant Pot.
- See my tips and tricks for making this Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice above the recipe box.