Lemon Herb Orzo Salad with Chicken
This Lemon Orzo Salad with Chicken is a simple dish that’s ready in less than 30 minutes. Packed with shredded chicken, rosemary, thyme, and lemon, this pasta is loaded with flavor and perfect for a summer meal!
Let’s face it…life can be hectic, no matter the day or season.
Fall seems to get the brunt of everything, with school starting, sports, dance lessons, homework, and all of the craziness that goes along with it. But summer? Summer can be just as hectic!
With vacations to plan, playdates to attend, sports lessons, dinner dates, and all of those summer get-togethers, sometimes it can be hard to find a moment to spare. When life gets crazy, the first thing to go to the wayside seems to be dinner. It’s much easier to order take-out or drive to your favorite spot for a quick bite. But sometimes, that just doesn’t cut it, and you want something homemade, delicious, and easy.
Well, if you’ve been hanging around here long enough, then you know I’m all about the simple meals around here! After all, the motto of Pumpkin ‘N Spice is ‘Where Easy Meets Delicious!’ I believe that everyone can prepare easy meals that don’t take hours to prepare in the kitchen.
This lemon orzo salad is a simple dish that’s ready in less than 30 minutes. Packed with shredded chicken, rosemary, thyme, and lemon, this lemon orzo pasta salad is loaded with flavor and perfect for a summer meal!
Orzo is one of my favorite types of pasta, so I couldn’t resist jazzing it up with some rotisserie chicken that I shredded and fresh herbs. The flavor is light and it just tastes like summer in a bowl.
Lemon Orzo Salad Ingredients
As promised, the ingredients list for this lemon orzo salad is short and sweet:
- Orzo pasta
- Unsalted butter
- Lemon juice and zest
- Shredded rotisserie chicken
- Fresh herbs (thyme, parsley, rosemary)
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Lemon Orzo Pasta Salad
Like most of my recipes, this chicken orzo salad is a breeze to whip up!
- Cook the orzo until al dente, then drain and rinse with cold water.
- Stir in some butter, lemon juice, shredded rotisserie chicken, and the fresh herbs.
Easy peasy and so delicious! Serve this summer orzo salad as a delicious main dish, along with a side of bread. Fresh, fast, and loaded with flavor, you’ll love the ease of this zesty summer meal!
Can I Prep Orzo Pasta Salad in Advance?
Absolutely! This lemon orzo salad can be enjoyed hot or cold. Orzo is a fairly hearty pasta, so this salad will keep for a few days in the fridge.
Tips for Making Lemon Orzo Salad
Note that fresh herbs are a must in this summer orzo salad recipe. Dried herbs won’t have the right texture, plus they’re far more potent than fresh herbs.
For the best flavor, be sure to use a fresh lemon for this recipe rather than using the stuff in a bottle.
I kept this lemon orzo pasta salad simple with rotisserie chicken, but I’m sure you could add other proteins to it as well. Grilled shrimp cooks in no time and I bet it’d be super tasty here!
Looking for more salad recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Italian Chicken Salad
- Shaved Asparagus Pesto Salad
- Corn and Tomato Salad
- Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad
- Caprese Pasta Salad
Lemon Herb Orzo Salad with Chicken
- 8 ounces dry orzo
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, , softened
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup cooked, shredded rotisserie chicken, (I used the pre-shredded kind that you can find near the deli section of most grocery stores)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper, , to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain and immediately rinse under cold water. Transfer orzo to large bowl.
- Stir in softened butter, lemon juice, lemon zest, shredded rotisserie chicken, rosemary, thyme, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.