Hello! I’m Gayle, the baker, cook, photographer, and writer behind Pumpkin ‘N Spice. I’m so glad you’ve stumbled on by and hope you’ll brew a pot of coffee, pull up a chair, and stay a while!
Pumpkin ‘N Spice was launched in 2014 as a way for me to share quick and easy, yet delicious recipes that anyone can make. My sweet treats, savory meals, zesty appetizers, and easy drinks are perfect for parents, working adults, or for those who just want a dish that doesn’t take hours to prepare. Sure, I’ll have the occasional more time-consuming treat (have you made my cinnamon rolls yet?!), but for the most part, everything I share can be made with simple ingredients and minimal prep time.
I love to experiment with food. I have no professional culinary experience and don’t claim to be the best baker or chef. I am a self-taught cook that has learned techniques through trial and error and cook books/websites! The recipes I share are ones that I have created on my own, or are favorites of another talented baker (tweaked or taken with permission).
Facts about me:
- I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago (also known as the Windy City) and still reside in the area with my husband.
- New York City has my heart. Even though I grew up (and still live) near Chicago, there’s just nowhere like NYC. I would move there in a heartbeat if I could just convince my husband!
- California and Hawaii come in at a close 2nd and 3rd spot to New York City. If I can’t move there, then I hope to move to these sunny states one day.
- My husband and I (lovingly known as “the hubster” around here) have been married for two years. He is my partner-in-crime and my best friend.
- I have two younger brothers. My youngest brother will be graduating high school in the spring.
- I’m a sucker for TV dramas. My current obsessions include Nashville, Grey’s Anatomy, Mistresses (am I the only one who watches this show?) and American Horror Story.
- I’m addicted to coffee. And chai lattes from Starbucks. And peanut butter. And pizza. And did I mention coffee?
- My favorite spices are garlic powder and cinnamon. Most of my savory dishes contain garlic powder, and if I could bake with it, I probably would.
- My favorite cereal is Fruity Pebbles.
- If my Keurig broke tomorrow, I would probably have a melt-down, then run out and buy a new one because I want the latest model.
Why did you start blogging?
I love being in the kitchen and I love writing, so I decided to put the two together and start my own blog. I actually didn’t starting cooking and baking until after I graduated college. During college, my friends teased me that I had no domestic skills, as I didn’t really know my way around the kitchen.
Fast forward years later, I discovered it was my passion. I would use any chance I could get to whip up a decadent dessert or test out a savory dish. I also love reading food blogs, so I couldn’t wait to start one of my own so that I could share my creations with you!
What types of recipes will I find here?
Everything! You’ll find a variety of recipes, from decadent sweet treats to savory main dishes. I also share the occasional healthy recipe, gluten-free dish, or vegetarian meal. My site is all about delicious goodies that can be made with minimal prep time and ingredients that you can easily find in your kitchen or at the grocery store.
If you’re a working adult, parent, or just like to make dishes that can be made fairly easily, then this is the spot for you! Occasionally, I’ll throw in a more time-consuming dish, but for the most part, everything is simple, easy, and delicious.
How can I find an appetizer, frozen treat, or side dish on this site?
You can find this information by browsing the recipe category, which is listed in the tool bar at the top of the page. From there, you can narrow down your search into specific categories, such as snacks, healthy foods, drinks, seasonal favorites, soups, breads, and more.
Looking for a specific recipe? Use the search bar that is found on the right side of the page. You can type in an ingredient or title name.
Do you eat everything that you make?
Yes! But I don’t eat every last crumb, otherwise I would be 700 pounds! I usually taste a small portion of everything that I make. If it’s a savory dish that the hubster will like, then we usually keep it for lunch or dinner. If it’s a sweet treat, I usually send it to work with the hubster so that he can share with his co-workers. And just so you know, these cookies and this pound cake got rave reviews from his co-workers!
I made your recipe but it just didn’t turn out. What happened?
I’m so sorry that happened! It’s hard for me to know why the recipe didn’t turn out well since I wasn’t in the kitchen with you. Did you make any modifications or substitutions? If so, that could be a reason why the recipe didn’t work out. Were all of the ingredients measured correctly? Sometimes it’s easy to use teaspoon instead of tablespoon, or 1/2 cup instead of 1 cup, so that could be another reason why.
I only share recipes that turned out 100% to my liking, so I apologize if something went wrong on your end. If you have further questions about a specific recipe, please feel free to leave a note in the “comments” section of that specific recipe, or to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will be happy to answer your questions!
Can I use your recipe and/or pictures on my blog?
I’m honored that you would like to use my recipe to showcase to others. However, since I spend a lot of time developing and testing recipes, I ask that you please rewrite the recipe in your own words and link back to the original recipe for credit.
How did you get the name Pumpkin ‘N Spice?
Good question! Truth be told, my Aunt actually came up with the name. She called me punkin growing up (and still does!) and the name kinda stuck. When I was in high school, my first email address over AOL (am I showing my age?) was pumpkin. Since then, I’ve always stuck with the name pumpkin. So it only seemed fitting that I name my site Pumpkin ‘N Spice!
What are your favorite recipes that you’ve made?
I love this question and have such a hard time narrowing it down! If I had to pick five favorites, they would be:
- Toasted Caprese Garlic Bread
- Lightened Up Zesty Chicken Salad
- Blueberry Greek Yogurt Pancakes
- Banana Bread Granola
- Raspberry Crumb Bars
What are your top 5 most popular recipes?
- Creamy Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
- Blueberry Blast Smoothie
- BLT Ranch Pasta Salad
- One Pan Taco Macaroni and Cheese
- Blueberry Greek Yogurt Pancakes
Stay in touch!
There are plenty of ways to stay in touch with Pumpkin ‘N Spice! You can find me on:
Have questions, need a special request, or just want to share something? I love hearing from my readers! It makes my day when you comment on my recipes or let me know that you tried out one of my creations. Feel free to contact me by email at gayle (at) pumpkinnspice dot com and I will be happy to respond!
Thanks for stopping by! I hope you continue to check in for recipes filled with spices and personal touches!