Fast, easy, and full of flavor, this Easy Fried Rice tastes like your favorite Chinese takeout!
One thing that I look forward to most on the weekends is spending time my kitchen. Nothing is better to me than enjoying a lazy Sunday by whipping up a delicious meal or baking a new treat.
Have you tried this Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice yet? It’s so easy to make and is a pressure cooker version of this fried rice recipe.
But once Monday rolls around, I’m all about easy foods that are ready in no time. I don’t mind doing light cooking, but spending over an hour or so on dinner is just not appealing to me. I would rather save that for the weekends!
And this vegetable fried rice is a breeze to whip up! It only took about a half hour to prepare, perfect for those busy weeknight meals! And if you love veg fried rice, this is sure to be a favorite in your house. You can skip the takeout and make your own, as I guarantee it will taste just as good.
The best part about this homemade fried rice is that you can customize it depending on your tastes. I love when fried rice is prepared with scrambled eggs, so I knew I had to incorporate that into this dish.
Ingredients needed for easy fried rice
This simple fried rice requires only a handful of pantry staples. Here’s what you’ll need to make veg fried rice at home:
- Unsalted butter
- Frozen peas and carrots
- Minced onion
- Minced garlic
- Cooked white rice
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- Salt and pepper
How to make Chinese fried rice
The prep work for this vegetable fried rice is so simple! Here are the basic steps to making homemade fried rice:
- Start by scrambling your eggs in a pan, then remove to a plate.
- Sauté your veggies, add in some cooked rice, and then stir in some seasonings and soy sauce.
- Once the rice mixture has simmered, top with the scrambled eggs and sesame seed oil.
In no time, you will have a tasty side dish, or a main dish if you add in some chicken or beef! What could be easier than that? So if you’re like me and don’t want all the fuss of the prep work during the week, check out this easy fried rice recipe.
How to reheat fried rice
This easy fried rice recipe makes roughly 4 servings, so you may wind up with leftovers. If that’s the case, I recommend reheating the veg fried rice in a skillet with a drizzle of sesame oil. Avoid reheating fried rice in the microwave since that makes the scrambled egg in it rubbery.
Can you freeze fried rice?
Yes! However, the scrambled egg in this homemade fried rice may change texture upon being frozen. If you know you’ll be freezing this easy fried rice recipe, I recommend freezing it without the scrambled egg. When reheating the rice, add the egg to the skillet then.
More tips for making simple fried rice
I prefer using cooked white rice in this recipe since that’s what our local Chinese restaurant uses. I’m sure you could use cooked brown rice if that’s what you prefer.
I use a frozen peas and carrots blend in this recipe. You should be able to find a similar blend in the freezer section of your local grocery store.
To make this vegetable fried rice a meal, add shrimp or diced chicken to bulk it up.
Looking for more easy side dish recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
- Corn and Tomato Salad
- Mushroom Wild Rice Pilaf
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower
- Lemon Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
- Garlic Herb Rice
Easy Fried Rice
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 eggs whisked
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots can find a combination bag in the frozen food section of grocery store
- ½ teaspoon minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2½ cups cooked white rice
- 4-5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2-3 teaspoons sesame oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add eggs and cook until scrambled. Remove to plate.
- In the same skillet, add frozen peas and carrots, and minced onion. Saute for 5 minutes or until tender. Add minced garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds.
- Add rice and soy sauce to skillet, stirring to combine. Be sure to taste rice with soy sauce, as you may need to increase/decrease amount, depending on your preference.
- Cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, in order to fry rice.
- Turn heat to low, add eggs and sesame oil. Stir to combine.
- Remove from heat. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Be sure to taste the amount of soy sauce and sesame oil as you cook. I used a higher content of both, but you can increase/decrease to your liking.
- Fried rice will keep refrigerated for up to five days.