Fast, easy, and full of flavor this Easy Fried Rice tastes like your favorite Chinese take-out!
**june 2018 update! this recipe was originally posted in october 2014. i decided that the photos desperately needed updating, so i reshot the recipe (but still kept the ingredient list and directions the same). i also kept the original post/story below that i wrote four year ago!**
One thing that I look forward to most on the weekends is spending time my kitchen. Nothing is better to me than enjoying a lazy Sunday by whipping up a delicious meal or baking a new treat.
But once Monday rolls around, I’m all about easy foods that are ready in no time. I don’t mind doing light cooking, but spending over an hour or so on dinner is just not appealing to me. I would rather save that for the weekends!
A favorite meal of mine (and the hubster, too) is orange chicken. We love this stuff! We buy a packaged kind that you just make in the oven, and probably eat it once every week or two! It’s quick, easy, and delicious. I usually serve it with a side of white rice, and we’re set for the night.
However, I wanted to get a little creative with our orange chicken. Plain rice can be so boring at times. So to carry on with the theme of our Chinese meal, I decided to make this Easy Fried Rice. Fast, easy, and full of flavor this side dish tastes like your favorite Chinese take-out!
And this Easy Fried Rice is a breeze to whip up! It only took about a half hour to prepare, perfect for those busy week night meals! And if you love fried rice, this is sure to be a favorite in your house. You can skip the takeout and make your own, as I guarantee it will taste just as good.
The best part about this Easy Friend Rice is that you can customize it depending on your tastes. I love when fried rice is prepared with scrambled eggs, so I knew I had to incorporate that into this dish. And the prep work is so simple! Start by scrambling your eggs in a pan, then remove to a plate. Saute your veggies, add in some cooked rice, and then stir in some seasonings and soy sauce. Once the rice mixture has simmered, top with the scrambled eggs and sesame seed oil.
In no time, you will have a tasty side dish, or a main dish if you add in some chicken or beef! What could be easier than that? So if you’re like me and don’t want all the fuss of the prep work during the week, check out this Easy Fried Rice!
subscribe to my youtube channel to see how easy this recipe is to make!
Looking for more easy side dish recipes? I’ve got you covered!
Easy Fried Rice
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 eggs whisked
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots can find a combination bag in the frozen food section of grocery store
- ½ teaspoon minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2½ cups cooked white rice
- 4-5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2-3 teaspoons sesame oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add eggs and cook until scrambled. Remove to plate.
- In the same skillet, add frozen peas and carrots, and minced onion. Saute for 5 minutes or until tender. Add minced garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds.
- Add rice and soy sauce to skillet, stirring to combine. Be sure to taste rice with soy sauce, as you may need to increase/decrease amount, depending on your preference.
- Cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, in order to fry rice.
- Turn heat to low, add eggs and sesame oil. Stir to combine.
- Remove from heat. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.