This Easy Blueberry Dump Cake is a delicious, three ingredient dessert that tastes just like your favorite cobbler. Simply dump everything in a pan, bake, and then get ready to wow your tastebuds. Perfect when served warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Everyone has to have a secret dessert weapon.
You know, a dish that’s easy to make, ready in no time, yet looks (and tastes) like you spent all day prepping everything.
That kind of dessert.
One you keep in your back pocket for those last minute get-togethers or family gatherings.
Well, friends, say hello to my secret dessert weapon: Blueberry Dump Cake!
While the name might sound a little strange, I can assure you that this dump cake tastes almost like blueberry cobbler, but without all of the prep work. And with just three ingredients…yes, THREE, you can bet that this is one of the easiest desserts that will ever grace your kitchen.
Now, I’m no stranger to dump cakes. In fact, the first time I debuted this kind of dessert was with this Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Dump Cake from a few years ago. After I made this version, I was hooked. Then came this Strawberry Cinnamon Dump Cake. And now, this blueberry dump cake.
Are you noticing a pattern here? Dump cakes and I are a match made in foodie heaven. I think you’ll feel the same way, too.
And I’m not lying when I say this is pretty much the best blueberry dump cake ever. I mean, three ingredients and virtually no prep time to make a dessert that tastes just as good, if not better, than blueberry cobbler.
The juicy, tangy blueberries and sweet, buttery, cakey topping take this dessert to a whole new level. Once you take a bite, you’ll be a dump cake lover for life. I promise!
My secret ingredient to make the ‘cobbler’ topping taste extra delicious is using a golden butter cake mix. It gives this blueberry cake an extra hint of buttery richness. However, if you can’t find a butter cake mix, yellow mix would work just as well, too.
What is a dump cake?
The name may sound a little, well, weird, but it says it all. It’s literally a cake made by ‘dumping’ ingredients together and then baking.
With this three ingredient dump cake, I ‘dumped’ in a layer of blueberries, followed by a butter cake mix (dry mix only, no other ingredients to make the cake), and then added sliced, unsalted butter to the top of the cake. That’s it! You really just dump everything together and the let the oven work its magic.
Can I use frozen fruit in this dump cake?
Yes! Fresh or frozen blueberries works well and I guarantee you won’t notice a difference. And by using frozen fruit, it makes this blueberry dump cake recipe acceptable to make year round.
Variation of dump cakes:
- It’s easy to customize a dump cake, depending on your tastes. Swap out the blueberries with your fruit of choice, such as raspberries, pineapple, or peaches.
- Combining fruits would work beautifully, too. How about a mixed berry, cherry pineapple, or strawberry banana dump cake?
- Want to change the flavor of the cake? Swap out the butter (or yellow) cake mix with french vanilla, cinnamon, chocolate, or strawberry.
Does dump cake have to be refrigerated?
No, it doesn’t. It’s really based on your preference, but I prefer to store it at room temperature. I like to store dump cake in an air tight container for up to four days.
Can you freeze dump cake?
You sure can! Simply store cake in a freezable ziploc bag or container for up to three months. When ready to serve, thaw, and enjoy!
How to serve dump cake?
- I like to serve it warm, after it’s been out of the oven for 10-15 minutes. However, you could heat it up in the microwave or eat at room temperature, too. Each way is delicious!
- A big scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream makes the perfect topping for dump cake recipes.
So, have I convinced you to try this Easy Blueberry Dump Cake recipe yet? I guarantee it’ll be your favorite summer treat and maybe, just maybe, your secret dessert weapon, too!
Looking for more easy cake recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Banana Upside Down Cake
- Strawberry Pound Cake
- Blueberry Yogurt Cake
- Chocolate Lava Mug Cake
- Easy Strawberry Poke Cake
Easy Blueberry Dump Cake
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries if using frozen, no need to thaw
- 1 (16.25 ounce) box golden butter cake mix yellow or white works, too
- ½ cup unsalted butter thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 9x13 baking pan or glass dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place blueberries in an even layer onto bottom of prepared pan. Sprinkle dry cake mix on top of blueberries in an even layer. Place sliced butter on top of cake mix, covering as much of the mix as possible.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.