This Easy Blueberry Dump Cake is a delicious, 3-ingredient dessert that tastes just like your favorite cobbler. Simply dump everything in a pan, bake, and then get ready to wow your tastebuds. Perfect when served warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Everyone has to have a secret dessert weapon. You know, a dish that’s easy to make, ready in no time, yet looks (and tastes) like you spent all day prepping everything.
That kind of dessert.
One you keep in your back pocket for those last minute get-togethers or family gatherings.
Well, friends, say hello to my secret dessert weapon: Blueberry Dump Cake!
While the name might sound a little strange, I can assure you that this dump cake tastes almost like blueberry cobbler, but without all of the prep work.
And with just 3 ingredients — yes, THREE — you can bet that this is one of the easiest desserts that will ever grace your kitchen.
Now, I’m no stranger to dump cakes. In fact, the first time I debuted this kind of dessert was with this Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Dump Cake from a few years ago. After I made this version, I was hooked.
Then came this Strawberry Cinnamon Dump Cake. And now, this blueberry dump cake.
Are you noticing a pattern here? Dump cakes and I are a match made in foodie heaven. I think you’ll feel the same way, too.
And I’m not lying when I say this is pretty much the best blueberry dump cake recipe ever. I mean, 3 ingredients and virtually no prep time to make a dessert that tastes just as good, if not better, than blueberry cobbler.
The juicy, tangy blueberries and sweet, buttery, cakey topping take this dessert to a whole new level. Once you take a bite, you’ll be a dump cake lover for life. I promise!
What is a dump cake?
The name may sound a little, well, weird, but it says it all. It’s literally a cake made by ‘dumping’ ingredients together and then baking.
Ingredients in Blueberry Dump Cake
To make this 3-ingredient dump cake, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Golden butter cake mix
- Unsalted butter
Can I Use Another Type of Cake Mix?
Yes! My secret ingredient to make the ‘cobbler’ topping taste extra delicious is using a golden butter cake mix. It gives this blueberry cake an extra hint of buttery richness.
However, if you can’t find a butter cake mix, yellow mix would work just as well, too.
Can I use frozen fruit in this dump cake?
Yes! Fresh or frozen blueberries works well and I guarantee you won’t notice a difference. If you make this dump cake with frozen fruit, it makes this blueberry dump cake recipe acceptable to make year round.
How to Make Blueberry Dump Cake
With this 3-ingredient dump cake, I ‘dumped’ in a layer of blueberries, followed by a butter cake mix (dry mix only, no other ingredients to make the cake), and then added sliced, unsalted butter to the top of the cake.
That’s it! You really just dump everything together and the let the oven work its magic.
How to Store Dump Cake
No, it doesn’t. It’s really based on your preference, but I prefer to store it at room temperature. I like to store dump cake in an air tight container for up to four days.
Can you freeze dump cake?
You sure can! Simply store cake in a freezable ziploc bag or container for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, thaw, and enjoy!
How to serve dump cake
I like to serve it warm, after it’s been out of the oven for 10-15 minutes. However, you could heat it up in the microwave or eat at room temperature, too. Each way is delicious!
A big scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream makes the perfect topping for dump cake recipes.
Dump Cake Variations to Try
- It’s easy to customize a dump cake, depending on your tastes. Swap out the blueberries with your fruit of choice, such as raspberries, pineapple, or peaches.
- Combining fruits would work beautifully, too. How about a mixed berry, cherry pineapple, or strawberry banana dump cake?
- Want to change the flavor of the cake? Swap out the butter cake mix with french vanilla, cinnamon, chocolate, or strawberry.
So, have I convinced you to try this Easy Blueberry Dump Cake recipe yet? I guarantee it’ll be your favorite summer treat and maybe, just maybe, your secret dessert weapon, too!
Looking for more recipes using frozen blueberries?
- Blueberry Cobbler
- Blueberry Banana Bread
- Blueberry Yogurt Cake
- Peach Blueberry Crisp
- Blueberry Sauce
Easy Blueberry Dump Cake
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries if using frozen, no need to thaw
- 1 (16.25 ounce) box golden butter cake mix yellow or white works, too
- ½ cup unsalted butter thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 9x13 baking pan or glass dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place blueberries in an even layer onto bottom of prepared pan. Sprinkle dry cake mix on top of blueberries in an even layer. Place sliced butter on top of cake mix, covering as much of the mix as possible.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until top is golden and cooked through. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.