This Skillet Buttermilk Cornbread is soft, moist, and contains a buttery crust, perfect for munching on for breakfast or dinner!
Growing up, one of my favorite things to do was to spend time with my Grandparents. They lived several blocks away from my childhood house, which made riding my bike to their house a necessity during the warmer months.
They always left their back door unlocked, and I would eagerly fly in to see who was home. No matter what they were doing, my Grandma and Grandpa would always make time for me.
We would sit at the kitchen table and talk, while nibbling on some of my Grandma’s baked goods or famous sandwiches. And when I would spend the night, I always looked forward to the breakfasts that my Grandma would make the following morning.
And once in a while, my Grandma would make homemade cornbread to go along with breakfast. I always slathered it with honey and butter, and it was one of my favorite treats.
To this day, I always think of my Grandma whenever I eat cornbread. While I can’t make it nearly as good as she did, I always love whipping up this tasty dish.
This Skillet Buttermilk Cornbread is soft, moist, and contains a buttery crust, perfect for munching on during the cold winter months. So easy to make and even better to eat, this cornbread serves as a great breakfast or side to go along with a steaming bowl of chili (recipe coming next week) or soup.
Because this Skillet Buttermilk Cornbread is made in a cast iron skillet, it takes on a buttery and crunchy crust. And like most of my recipes, this dish takes just minutes to whip up! Simply whisk together the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another bowl. Pour the mixture into a butter cast iron skillet and bake until golden brown.
Looking for more quick bread recipes? I’ve got you covered!
Skillet Buttermilk Cornbread
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1¼ cups yellow cornmeal
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 1¾ cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place butter in a 9 inch cast iron skillet and place into oven until melted, then remove from oven. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the egg and buttermilk. Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Pour mixture into buttered skillet.
- Bake from 20-22 minutes, or until bread is golden brown and toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes in skillet before serving.