Now that we’ve officially made it through the first week of April, I’m full of hope that we’re officially done with winter and onto spring. Easter has come and gone and the weather is slowly starting to get better. Since Easter is sometimes early in the year, and other times later, I feel like it almost falls on the cusp of winter. Know what I mean? But since that holiday has passed, I’m reminded of the upcoming warmer holidays…Memorial Day, 4th of July…so maybe I’m stretching it just a little, but, you get my drift, right?
I’m also loving the fresh veggies that arrives with the warmer weather. Asparagus, green beans and spinach almost seem to taste better in the spring. I’ve been trying to cook with more greens lately and I’m happy to report that I’m staying on track! Which leads me to this dish: Spinach and Mushroom Quinoa Bowls! It’s been a while since I made a quinoa dish to share with you, so I figured I was long overdue! And because I love creating new flavor combinations, I was ready for the challenge.
Loaded with fresh spinach, mushroom, chickpeas, and Parmesan, these quinoa bowls are jam-packed with protein, veggies, and areready in no time. The quinoa is tossed in a light garlic and oil dressing, giving this dish a zesty flavor.
These Spinach and Mushroom Quinoa Bowls are perfect for a light lunch or dinner and suitable as a vegetarian dish, too. And the best part is that these bowls are so versatile! If you don’t like spinach, feel free to swap it out with kale, or leave it out entirely.
Ready in less than 30 minutes, these Spinach and Mushroom Quinoa Bowls will keep you full, satisfied, and on the healthy track.
Simply start out by cooking the quinoa in some chicken broth. This gives it a little more flavor than just using water. However, you can use vegetable broth or water if you prefer.
As the quinoa is cooking, sauté the mushrooms, followed by the spinach. Toss the veggies in with the quinoa and add in some chickpeas. To coat these Spinach and Mushroom Quinoa Bowls, combine a light dressing of olive oil, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Pour this over the quinoa mixture and these bowls are ready to be devoured!
Light, healthy, and full of fresh veggies, these Spinach and Mushroom Quinoa Bowls are delicious and nutritious. It also serves as easy lunch or dinner throughout the week. Simply make, refrigerate, and then divide into portions and your meal is ready for the next few days.
Looking for more dinner ideas? I’ve got you covered!
Yields 4 servings
Loaded with fresh spinach, mushroom, chickpeas, and Parmesan, this Spinach and Mushroom Quinoa Bowl is jam-packed with protein, veggies, and is ready in no time!
5 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed per package directions
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth (or water/vegetable broth)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups fresh, sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Black pepper, to taste
- Cook quinoa according to package directions, using chicken broth for more flavor, if desired.
- While quinoa is cooking, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and saute until browned. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- In same skillet, add spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes or until wilted. Remove and place with mushrooms.
- To make the dressing, combine the olive oil, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and pepper.
- Once quinoa is cooked, add in spinach, mushrooms,chickpeas, and Parmesan cheese.
- Pour dressing over quinoa mixture and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Quinoa bowls can be served hot or cold.