This Tortellini in Cream Sauce combines cheese tortellini, asparagus and a creamy mustard sauce that is suitable for every mustard lover!
This post is sponsored by Maille via Honest Cooking. All opinions are my own.
Now that summer is almost here, I’ve been consuming a lot of picnic and grilling type foods. Even though I seem to eat these foods year round, they just seem to taste better once the weather gets warmer.
One of my favorite condiments to use on sandwiches, burgers, and brats has always been mustard. I slather this on whatever sandwich I’m eating and then put some on the side so that I can dunk into it. Tell me I’m not the only one who does this?
So when Maille sent me some of their gourmet mustards to try, I could hardly contain my excitement. Since I love plain ol’ yellow mustard, I knew I would find a new favorite with their exciting flavors.
If you’ve heard of Maille before, then you know that they have been producing high-quality products for over 267 years. They first opened a boutique last year in New York City and have been growing in popularity ever since.
As soon as I opened a jar, my senses were delighted. The Dijon mustard was creamy, delicious, and filled with a slight tang, perfect for my mustard-loving self. And since I love creating new recipes, my mind immediately begin to think of everything I could use this mustard on.
After thoughtful consideration, I decided to make a recipe that incorporates mustard in a more unique way.
Not just slathered on a burger or sandwich, but mixed into a dish to make the flavors really stand out. Well, friends, say hello to this Cheese Tortellini with Mustard Cream Sauce.
The name pretty much says is all. Fresh cheese tortellini is combined with asparagus and a creamy mustard sauce that is suitable for every mustard (and pasta) lover. It’s a deliciously different way to enjoy mustard!
Ingredients for Tortellini in Cream Sauce
This easy tortellini dish is the perfect meal to serve when the weather gets warmer or when you’re crunched for time, without sacrificing flavor. With minimal prep time and fresh ingredients, you can wow your dinner guests (or just yourself!) into thinking you spent all day in the kitchen. Sounds pretty good, right?
Here’s what you’ll need to make the sauce for the cheese tortellini:
- Cheese tortellini
- Olive oil
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream
- Maille Dijon mustard
How to Make Tortellini in Cream Sauce
Besides being filled with the mouthwatering tang of Dijon mustard, this Tortellini in Cream Sauce is a breeze to whip up.
When the tortellini is cooking, simply whisk together some chicken broth, heavy cream, and Dijon mustard. As soon as it thickens, remove from the heat, toss it with the cheese tortellini and fresh asparagus, and your flavorful meal is ready to be devoured.
This Tortellini with Mustard Cream Sauce is perfect for a light and easy meal. Full of fresh ingredients and bursting with flavor, this pasta will become a dinner-time favorite!
Can I Use Another Type of Tortellini?
Of course! I used simple cheese tortellini for this easy recipe, but any type of tortellini will work. Just make sure to buy fresh tortellini, not dried.
Can I Use Another Type of Mustard?
Mostly likely, yes. However, I wouldn’t recommend using a plain yellow mustard because it doesn’t have the same depth of flavor that Dijon has.
Tips for Making This Tortellini Dish
- By using fresh tortellini, you’ll ensure that you get the best flavor possible, which is crucial when pairing with the Maille mustard collection.
- If asparagus isn’t in season, use another fresh green instead. I imagine that peas, spinach, kale, or another green veggie would pair nicely in this dish.
- Give yourself enough time to let the mustard cream sauce for the tortellini thicken fully. It needs a good 10 to 12 minutes on the stove!
Looking for More Easy Tortellini Recipes?
- Pesto Tortellini Bake
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Spinach & Feta Tortellini
- Cheesy Beef Tortellini Skillet
- Creamy Mushroom & Spinach Tortellini Soup
Tortellini in Cream Sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) package fresh cheese tortellini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch asparagus trimmed into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons Maille Dijon Mustard (or any kind of dijon mustard)
- In a medium pot, cook tortellini according to packaged directions. Drain and then toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil to prevent pasta from sticking. Set aside.
- While tortellini is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet. Add asparagus and saute until tender, about 5-6 minutes. Remove from skillet and cover to keep warm. Set aside.
- In same skillet, combine chicken broth, heavy cream, mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk together. Simmer for about 10-12 minutes, or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and pour over tortellini. Add in asparagus and toss to coat. Serve immediately.