Creamy Chicken and Noodle Casserole is an easy dish that’s ready in no time. Tender chicken, noodles, veggies, and a creamy sauce makes this hearty, cozy, and perfect for dinner!
Easy casserole recipes are one of my favorite comfort foods.
You just can’t beat the hearty ingredients that are baked until bubbly and warm. And this creamy chicken casserole hits the spot!
And now that the cold weather is upon us, you can bet that casseroles are on my mind. This cheesy chicken noodle casserole recipe is simple to make and combines the same ingredients as the classic soup.
Rotisserie chicken, egg noodles, veggies, and a savory cream sauce make this hearty, comforting, and oh-so delicious.
This creamy chicken noodle casserole is perfect to make ahead of time and then serve for dinner throughout the week. It also makes delicious leftovers when frozen for a quick and easy meal.
Ingredients in Chicken and Noodle Casserole
This chicken noodle soup casserole uses pantry staples like cream of mushroom soup and frozen veggies, so you might have everything on hand already!
Here’s what’s needed for the chicken egg noodle casserole:
- Frozen mixed vegetables
- Canned cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heavy whipping cream
- Shredded chicken
- Egg noodles
- Seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic powder)
- Bread crumbs
How to Make Chicken and Noodle Casserole
By using pantry ingredients, pre-cooked, already-shredded chicken, and frozen veggies, you can whip up this chicken casserole with cream of mushroom soup in less than 45 minutes.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat and add frozen vegetables. Stir occasionally until veggies are tender.
- Add cream of chicken and mushroom soups, cheese, heavy cream, and seasonings. Stir until cheese is melted and then remove from heat.
- Add in the chicken and cooked noodles. Stir to combine and then spoon into a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl, melt butter and then add bread crumbs and rest of Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine and then sprinkle on top of chicken mixture.
- Bake until golden brown on top and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
How to Reheat This Casserole
Chicken casserole dishes are easy to reheat. Simply place individual servings in the microwave and heat until warmed through. To reheat in the casserole dish, place into the oven 350°F for about 10-15 minutes, or until warmed through.
Can I Freeze This Casserole?
Let the casserole cool completely to room temperature. Either freeze directly in your baking dish (if freezer-safe) and cover tightly with plastic wrap, or spoon into a freezer-safe container. This casserole will last in the freezer for up to three months.
Can this Chicken Noodle Soup Casserole be Made Ahead of Time?
Absolutely! Simply prepare everything (except for the noodles, if you add them ahead of time, they will turn mushy) and add to prepared dish.
When read to bake, cook noodles, add to dish, and then stir to combine. Prepare and top with bread crumb mixture and then bake until golden.
Do You Have to Cook Chicken Before Adding it to a Casserole?
Yes, you need to make sure the chicken is fully cooked before adding to any kind of casserole. That’s why pre-cooked rotisserie chicken is a tasty option for this dish.
Can Fresh Veggies Be Used Instead of Frozen?
Yes, you’re welcome to use a blend of finely chopped fresh vegetables if you have some one hand that need to be used up. However, I recommend blanching them first to ensure they cook through all the way in the casserole.
What to Serve with Cheesy Chicken Noodle Casserole
This chicken and noodle casserole is practically a meal in itself, so I like to keep the sides simple. Here are some side dishes you can serve with the casserole:
- Roasted Garlic Parmesan Carrots
- Lemon Garlic Broccoli
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower
- Roasted Mushrooms
- Apple Cranberry Pecan Salad
Tips for the Best Creamy Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Be sure to cook the noodles until they’re just al dente. Since the dish will also cook in the oven, you don’t want the noodles to get too mushy.
- For ease and convenience, use the pre-cooked, already shredded rotisserie chicken that you can find near the deli section of your grocery store. I use this kind of chicken in a lot of my recipes. Not only does it taste delicious, but it also saves you the time of cooking and shredding your own chicken.
- If you would like to cook your own chicken, do so before making this recipe. You want to add cooked chicken to the casserole, so you can prep the chicken ahead of time, if desired.
- Don’t skip the cheese! Unlike other chicken noodle casseroles, this recipe using shredded Parmesan cheese, which gives this dish a more unique flavor than using cheddar or mozzarella.
- If you don’t want to use frozen vegetables, you can cook or sauté your own during the first step of the recipe instructions.
Looking for Casserole Dinner Recipes? I’ve Got You Covered!
- Cheesy Meatball Casserole
- Cheeseburger Casserole
- Chicken Broccoli Stuffing Casserole
- Skillet Tuna Casserole
- Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake
Chicken and Noodle Casserole
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (I used the kind with green beans, corn, carrots, and peas)
- 1 can (10.5 ounce) cream of chicken soup
- 1 can (10.5 ounce) cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded chicken (I used the pre-cooked, shredded rotisserie chicken that you can find near the deli section of your grocery store)
- 1 package (16 ounce) wide egg noodles cooked until al dente
- ½ cup Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat and add frozen vegetables. Stir occasionally until veggies are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add cream of chicken and mushroom soups, Parmesan cheese, heavy cream, and seasonings. Stir until cheese is melted and then remove from heat.
- Add in chicken and noodles. Stir to combine and then spoon into prepared dish. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, melt remaining 3 tablespoons of butter and then add bread crumbs and rest of Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine and then sprinkle on top of chicken mixture.
- Bake until golden brown on top and bubbly, around 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
- See my tips and tricks for making this Chicken and Noodle Casserole above the recipe box.
- Lightly adapted from Paula Deen's 13x9 Dishes magazine - 2020