Easy Teriyaki Chicken is a simple, one pan dish that’s perfect for busy weeknights. Sweet garlic chicken is coated with an easy teriyaki sauce and tastes even better than the takeout kind!
This post has been sponsored by Perdue Farms. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
I’m all about easy dinners around here.
Whether it’s a weeknight or lazy Sunday meal, I want something that’s delicious, yet simple to prepare. And I think you feel the same way, am I right?
And when I’m making a chicken recipe, it’s got to be loaded with flavor, simple to prepare, and perfect for leftovers, too. Which is why this teriyaki chicken recipe is a winner all around!
You’ve probably has chicken teriyaki from your favorite takeout place, but this homemade version is just as good, if not better! It’s ready in just 20 minutes and has the most delicious teriyaki sauce.
Now, my secret (or not-so secret) trick for making this easy chicken teriyaki recipe is using Perdue Harvestland Diced Chicken Breasts. Their boneless skinless chicken breasts are diced into bite-sized chunks and are easy to thaw and ready to cook with. And the chicken pieces are packaged in four 8-ounce pouches, which come vacuum sealed and frozen. How about that for a quick chicken dinner?
I love Perdue Farms and am excited to be partnering with them. Did you know that Perdue Farms has an organic box that you can order? In addition to the diced chicken breasts, you will receive Perdue Harvestland organic whole chicken (with giblets); organic boneless skinless chicken breasts; organic drumsticks; and organic lightly breaded chicken chunks.
Perdue Farms will have their 100th anniversary this year and is on an exciting journey to becoming the most trusted name in premium proteins. And Perdue is more than just chicken! The company has a line of premium products and brands.
If you would like to learn more about Perdue Farms, visit their website or find them on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest. If you order the Ogranic Box, you will get 10% off and free Perdue Harvestland Diced Chicken Breasts on your first order.
Easy Teriyaki Chicken Ingredients
This simple teriyaki chicken recipe uses a homemade teriyaki sauce, which takes just minutes to whip up! Here’s what you’ll need to make this easy teriyaki chicken:
- Olive oil
- Perdue Harvestland Organic Diced Chicken Breasts
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- Low-sodium soy sauce
- Light brown sugar
- Rice vinegar
- Ground ginger
How to make Teriyaki Chicken
Did I mention this teriyaki chicken is a breeze to whip up? Because it is, and so flavorful, too!
- To start, you’ll want to season the diced chicken breasts with some salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil or vegetable oil and then brown the chicken on both sides until cooked through, which will take about 3-4 minutes per side.
- As the chicken is cooking, whisk together the homemade teriyaki sauce.
- Add the sauce to the skillet with the cooked chicken and let it heat until warmed and thickened.
What does chicken teriyaki taste like?
It’s almost like a sweet and sour sauce, with a bit of tang. The combination of soy sauce and brown sugar gives it a sweeter taste that pairs perfectly with chicken.
Is Chicken Teriyaki Japanese?
Teriyaki refers to a cooking method in Japanese. Teri means ‘luster’ from the soy sauce marinade and yaki means ‘cooking or grilling.’ The basic teriyaki sauce is made from soy sauce, sake, mirin (a form of rice vinegar), and sugar.
What to serve with Chicken Teriyaki
White rice or fried rice! The teriyaki sauce will coat the rice perfectly so that you can soak up all of that deliciousness. Nothing beat the flavor of teriyaki chicken and rice!
Steamed broccoli! It’s a delicious vegetable to complement the chicken.
So, the next time you’re in the mood for some chicken, skip the takeout and whip up this easy teriyaki chicken! Made with simple ingredients and ready in no time, it’s guaranteed to be a dinnertime favorite!
Tips for making homemade teriyaki chicken
I used two 8-ounce pouches of Perdue Harvestland Organic Diced Chicken Breasts for this recipe. It’s the perfect amount for four servings. However, if you don’t have this available, about three medium chicken breasts, diced, will work.
If you prefer your homemade teriyaki chicken on the saucier side, I recommend doubling the sauce recipe below.
If you wind up with leftovers, I recommend reheating this easy teriyaki chicken in a skillet over medium-low heat. Microwaving chicken often makes it rubbery.
Looking for more easy chicken recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Baked Salsa Chicken
- Instant Pot Pesto Chicken Pasta
- Baked Chicken Tacos
- One Pan Chicken and Mushroom Parmesan Rice
- Honey Garlic Chicken Stir Fry
Easy Teriyaki Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 8-ounce pouches Perdue Harvestland Organic Diced Chicken Breasts, thawed (or 3 medium chicken breasts, diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- White rice and steamed broccoli for serving , if desired
- Season chicken with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. In a large skillet, add olive oil and brown chicken on both sides until cooked through, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- As chicken is cooking, prepare sauce. In a medium bowl, whisk together soy sauce, water, brown sugar, rice vinegar, garlic powder, ginger, and cornstarch.
- Add sauce to skillet with cooked chicken and cook over low heat until thickened, about 2-3 minutes, tossing to coat.
- Serve chicken over white rice with steam broccoli, if desired.
- If you like extra sauce, you may want to double ingredients.
- See my tips and tricks for making this Easy Teriyaki Chicken above recipe box.