Baked Salsa Chicken
Baked Salsa Chicken is an easy, four ingredient dish that’s made in just one pan. Tender chicken is sprinkled with taco seasoning and then baked with salsa and topped with melted cheese. Fast, fresh, and flavorful, it’s a hearty meal that the whole family will enjoy!
I’ve got a winner for dinner today, friends! More specifically, a winner, winner chicken dinner!
Sorry, I just couldn’t help myself.
I have a lot of chicken recipes around here. But one thing is for sure, they’re not lacking in flavor.
You see, I’m actually not a big fan of chicken on its own, unless it’s loaded with flavor, in a pasta, on a sandwich, or in a soup or salad. No plain jane chicken for me, friends. So, when the hubster wants chicken for dinner, I put my creative skills to good use.
And that’s where is this baked salsa chicken comes into play. Not only is it bursting with all of the flavors, but it’s just so darn easy, too.
Baked salsa chicken is an easy, four ingredient dish that’s made in just one pan. Tender chicken is sprinkled with taco seasoning and then baked with salsa and topped with melted cheese. Fast, fresh, and flavorful, it’s a hearty meal that the whole family will enjoy!
This is also a wonderful an easy dinner idea for your family, too. And did I mention that this one pan Baked Salsa Chicken is also kid-friendly? Yep, if your kids (or you!) love taco flavors, then this dish is calling your name. The zesty flavors from the taco seasoning and salsa make this extra flavorful and extra delicious!
What’s Needed for Baked Salsa Chicken?
Let me tell you, this salsa chicken recipe is perfect for when you’re short on time, but still want a hot and flavorful dinner. And with minimal ingredients, it makes this dish extra simple to prepare. In fact, you might just have all of the ingredients in your kitchen!
- Chicken breasts
- Taco seasoning
- Shredded mozzarella
How to Make Baked Salsa Chicken
- Start by preheating your oven to 375F. You’ll want to grease a casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Season each chicken breast with a combination of salt, pepper, and taco seasoning. You can use any kind of seasoning you want. I have been using this version for the past six months and love the clean ingredients!
- Pour about 1/2 cup of salsa (chunky, hot, mild…your preference) onto the bottom of the dish and then top with the seasoned chicken. Pour the rest of the salsa on top and then let the oven work its magic.
- It’s important that the chicken reach an internal temperature of 165F. Once it does, remove from oven, sprinkle with some shredded cheese, and then return to oven until cheese is all melty.
- Top chicken with additional salsa or cilantro and get ready to be wowed!
Can I Make Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken?
Want to use that slow cooker? Follow the directions as written, but cook the Mexican chicken breasts on low for 4-6 hours or high on 2-3 hours.
How to Serve Salsa Chicken
Alongside rice or pasta! I love to pair this with white rice or egg noodles so that it can absorb some of the salsa.
As a taco or quesadilla! Simply slice the chicken once baked and add to some tortilla shells.
In a salad! Add some baked, sliced chicken on top of a green salad and garnish with extra salsa, sour cream, and avocado.
Variations of Salsa Chicken
Use a cheesy or hot taco seasoning for an extra kick when seasoning the chicken.
Spice up that salsa! Use a mild, hot, or tomatillo salsa. Pico de Gallo or a chipotle salsa work well, too.
Top baked salsa chicken with avocado, sour cream, or black beans for an extra zesty flair.
Tips for Making Baked Salsa Chicken
- For the best flavor, buy a block of mozzarella and shred it yourself.
- For spicier salsa chicken, use a spicy salsa and / or spicy taco seasoning. You can also add some hot sauce to the chicken once it’s out of the oven!
- I used boneless skinless chicken breasts, but chicken thighs will work as well.
Looking for more easy chicken recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Honey Garlic Chicken Stir-Fry
- Baked Chicken Ranch Taquitos
- Baked Honey Garlic Chicken
- Creamy Parmesan Mushroom Chicken
- Honey Balsamic Chicken
Baked Salsa Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning, , any kind
- 2 cups salsa, , any kind
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh cilantro , , for garnish (if desired)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Pour about 1/2 cup of salsa onto bottom of dish. Set aside.
- Season both sides of each chicken breast evenly with salt, pepper, and taco seasoning. Spread chicken on top of salsa in pan in an even layer. Pour remaining salsa over tops of chicken.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165F.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with shredded cheese, and return to oven until cheese is melted, about 3-4 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired.