This Ham and Avocado Open-Faced Sandwich recipe is simple, fresh, and perfect for a light lunch or dinner. Honey ham and tangy cheese is piled high on a slice of thick bread, then garnished with mayonnaise, avocado, and fresh tomato!
Now that we’re just about halfway through March, I’m really getting the itch for spring. Warmer weather, flowers starting to bloom, and the crisp air carrying a hint of promise that winter is starting to fade.
Now, I really can’t complain, because we’ve had such a mild winter here in the Midwest. It was in the 60s and close to 70 several days in February, and even now, it’s not as cold as it could be. And snow? We’re lucky that we missed most of the heavy snow in Chicago this year. And that’s just fine by me.
Because it’s been so mild this winter, I’ve had spring on the brain even longer than usual. The warm days in February made me want to break out my flip flops (which some people did!), relax with a cold drink, and dream of the hot, summer days. Of course I didn’t go that far, but it did get me thinking of spring and summer.
The warmer weather and promise of spring also got me thinking about lighter meals that are inspired by the season. After all, I am a food blogger, so I love incorporating the season into food.
When I was shopping at Walmart last week, I stumbled upon the perfect products to create a light and fresh lunch or dinner for the season. Pepperidge Farm® bread is a key component into making a sandwich fresh and delicious. Their bread includes a strong heritage, is authentic, and has a baker’s touch. It’s also double-wrapped for freshness, which is perfect for keeping the bread longer. Pepperidge Farm Whole Grain Oatmeal is a favorite of mine, so that made its way into my cart.
Next comes Hillshire Farm® Thin Sliced Honey Ham. It contains no artificial flavors and no by-products. Their ham is slow roasted for hours, which is what makes it better than other lunch meats.
And then there’s Hellmann’s® Real Mayonnaise. In my opinion, no sandwich is complete without it! You can use Hellmann’s® Real Mayonnaise on the outside of your bread for the perfectly crisp grilled cheese. You can also add more flavor to your sandwich by combining Hellman’s® with other flavors, such as soy, maple, or wasabi. The possibilities are endless!
After stocking up on a few more items, I headed home to make the most delicious spring-inspired sandwich.
This Ham and Avocado Open-Faced Sandwich recipe is simple, fresh, and perfect for a light lunch or dinner. Honey ham and tangy cheese is piled high on a slice of thick bread, then garnished with mayonnaise, avocado, and fresh tomato. With just six ingredients and hardly any prep time involved, you can have this easy sandwich ready in no time!
And if you’ve been hanging around here long enough, then you know that I’m all about the easy recipes. Especially when it comes to lunch and dinner.
This open-faced ham and cheese sandwich combines all of my favorite fixings in one place. Pepperidge Farm® bread, Hillshire Farm® Thin Sliced Honey Ham, Hellmann’s® Real Mayonnaise, avocado, muenster cheese, and fresh tomato. What could be better?
Ingredients in This Open-Faced Sandwich
To make this honey baked ham sandwich, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Pepperidge Farm® Whole Grain Oatmeal Bread
- Hellmann’s® Real Mayonnaise
- Hillshire Farm® Thin Sliced Honey Ham
- Muenster cheese
- Arugula (optional)
How to Make an Open-Faced Sandwich
Have I mentioned how easy this open-faced sandwich is to make? So easy, friends! And if I’m being honest, open-faced sandwiches are a lot of fun to eat, too. Just look at those pretty ingredients staring back at you!
- To start, you’ll spread some Hellmann’s® Real Mayonnaise on top of some Pepperidge Farm bread.
- Then, you’ll spoon on a generous helping of mashed avocado, followed by some muenster cheese, Hillshire Farm® Thin Sliced Honey Ham, and a fresh tomato slice.
- Season with salt and pepper, and your delicious sandwich is ready to be devoured.
With simple ingredients, a delicious taste, and no oven required, this easy Ham and Avocado Open-Faced Sandwich recipe is perfect for lunch or dinner, with the reminder that spring is on its way!
Can I Use Another Deli Meat?
Of course! You’re welcome to use roast beef, turkey, or another type of ham, if desired. This is an easy recipe to customize!
Can I Prep This Recipe in Advance?
Yes! This open-faced sandwich recipe can be prepped the morning you plan on eating it. I don’t recommend prepping it too far in advance, otherwise the bread will get soggy.
Tips for Making an Open-Faced Sandwich
- The trick to making a really good open-faced sandwich is to use thickly-cut bread. That one slice is going to be loaded with toppings, so it needs to be on the thicker side!
- I recommend smashing the avocado in a bowl and then smearing it on the sandwich. If you try to smash the avocado on the bread, you’ll flatten it.
- I topped the sandwich with some fresh arugula, but feel free to skip that if that’s not your taste.
Looking for more easy sandwich recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Panini
- Grilled Ham and Swiss Sandwich
- Tomato, Avocado & Mozzarella Grilled Cheese
- Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Sandwich
- Prosciutto, Raspberry & Brie Grilled Cheese
Ham and Avocado Open-Faced Sandwich
- 2 slices Pepperidge Farm® Whole Grain Oatmeal (or bread of choice)
- 2 tablespoons Hellmann's® Real Mayonnaise (or mayonnaise of choice)
- 1 avocado pitted, scooped, and mashed into a small bowl
- 4 slices muenster cheese
- 4 slices Hillshire Farm® Thin Sliced Honey Ham (or ham of choice)
- 2 tomato slices
- 1 cup fresh baby arugula if desired
- Place Pepperidge Farm® Whole Grain Oatmeal bread slices on a plate or flat surface. Spread 1 tablespoon of Hellmann's® Real Mayonnaise on each slice.
- Top each slice with mashed avocado, two slices of muenster cheese, two slices of Hillshire Farm® Thin Sliced Honey Ham, one slice of tomato, and 1/2 cup fresh arugula, if desired. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.