Pesto Chicken Sandwich
This Pesto Chicken Sandwich features a toasted ciabatta roll topped with basil pesto, gooey mozzarella, juicy chicken, and fresh microgreens. It’s a quick and easy lunch or dinner option!
Come lunchtime, I rarely have the time or patience to spend much time making myself a homemade meal. That’s not to say I don’t want a homemade meal — I just don’t have the time for one!
Enter: quick and easy sandwich recipes like this mozzarella and pesto chicken sandwich.
It’s made with simple ingredients, can be prepped in advance and packed in a lunchbox if needed, and it tastes like something you’d get at an upscale cafe.
Even better, it’s easy to customize this chicken pesto sandwich recipe using whatever ingredients you have on hand. You can use any variety of pesto you like, can swap out or add veggies, and the cooked chicken breast can be replaced with shredded rotisserie chicken if you’re short on time.
Pair the sandwich with a bag of chips, a side salad, or a bowl of soup for a fuss-free lunch or dinner!
Ingredients for the Pesto Chicken Sandwich
This chicken pesto mozzarella sandwich is loaded with all of my favorite sandwich fixings. To make the sandwich, you’ll need the following:
- Olive oil
- Chicken breast
- Spices (salt, pepper, red pepper flakes)
- Red onion
- Pesto (any kind)
- Mozzarella cheese slices
- Ciabatta roll
How to Make a Pesto Chicken Sandwich
You likely don’t need instructions on how to make this pesto and chicken breast sandwich, but I’ll quickly review the recipe steps just to make sure:
- Cook the chicken: In a small skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Season chicken, then cook until it’s no longer pink inside. Remove chicken to a separate plate.
- Sauté red onion: Add sliced onion to pan and sauté until softened.
- Assemble the sandwich: Toast the ciabatta roll and slice in half. Add a thin layer of pesto to each slice, then add the chicken, mozzarella, sautéed onion, and microgreens. Add top of roll and serve!
This chicken sandwich with pesto is very flexible and can be tailored to suit your preferences or use up any produce you have on hand. Here are some possible ingredient swaps that can be made:
- Chicken breast: Can be subbed with shredded rotisserie chicken, meal prepped chicken, or deli chicken slices.
- Pesto: Use homemade pesto or store-bought. Any flavor of pesto will work.
- Red onion: I love the sweetness that red onion adds to the sandwich, but you may use another kind of onion. Or, add additional sautéed veggies to the sandwich.
- Microgreens: Use any leafy green you’d like.
- Ciabatta roll: French bread or focaccia may also be used.
Tips for Making a Chicken and Pesto Sandwich
- If you plan on making this sandwich multiple times this week, consider prepping a few chicken breasts all at once so you don’t have to turn on the stove each day.
- Definitely toast the ciabatta bread roll if you’re packing the sandwich for later. Toasting the ciabatta roll will help prevent it from getting soggy once the pesto is added.
- You’re welcome to add extra veggies to the sandwich, if desired.
What to Serve with a Pesto Chicken Mozzarella Sandwich
Try serving this Italian-inspired chicken breast sandwich with one or more of the following:
- Banana Pudding Fruit Salad
- Apple Cranberry Pecan Salad
- Shaved Asparagus Salad
- Tomato Basil Soup
- Creamy Cauliflower Soup
Looking for More Easy Sandwich Recipes? I’ve Got You Covered!
- Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Panini
- Turkey, Apple & Brie Panini
- Tomato, Avocado & Mozzarella Grilled Cheese
Chicken Pesto Sandwich
- 2 tablespoos olive oil
- 1 medium chicken breast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- ½ red onion, (sliced)
- ¼ cup microgreens
- ¼ cup jarred pesto or homemade pesto
- 1-2 mozzarella cheese slices
- 1 ciabatta roll
- In a small skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Season chicken on both sides with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Add chicken to skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side, or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink. Remove chicken to a separate plate.
- Add sliced onion to pan and saute for 2-3 minutes, or until softened.
- Toast ciabatta roll, if desired, and slice in half. Add a thin layer of pesto to each slice. Add chicken to roll, followed by the mozzarella slice, onion, and microgreens. Add top of roll and serve.
- Sandwich is best eaten right away.
- See my tips and tricks for making this Chicken Pesto Sandwich above the recipe box.