Pumpkin Spice French Toast
This Pumpkin Spice French Toast is the best breakfast to enjoy on those chilly fall days, or even on Christmas morning. Crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, this easy dish is bursting with flavor and perfect for the whole family to enjoy!
Hooray for pumpkin season!
Every year I can’t wait to break out the pumpkin. Once it’s officially fall I don’t feel quite so bad about shoving all of the apple and pumpkin recipes in your face.
And I’m sharing one of my favorite fall breakfasts with you today! Since I work way ahead on my editorial calendar and blogging content, I usually start testing pumpkin recipes back in June. And this Pumpkin Spice French Toast was a winner right from the start! I almost shared it with you in the summer, but I’m not that crazy!
What Makes This Pumpkin Spice French Toast So Fantastic:
- The ingredients are super simple. In fact, you probably have everything you need to make this dish in your kitchen.
- This recipe comes together really quickly! From start to finish, you can have this dreamy, crispy yet tender, pumpkin french toast ready in about 20 minutes.
- It’s full of pumpkin-y flavor and cozy spices, perfect to warm you up on a crisp fall morning.
Even though the weather sometimes doesn’t cool off until late fall, I can’t resist whipping out everything pumpkin, and then some.
How To Make Pumpkin Spice French Toast
Preheat an electric griddle or non-stick skillet over medium heat. Set aside to warm up.
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, pumpkin, light brown sugar, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon. Pour the mixture into a shallow baking dish to dip the bread, if needed.
Dip one slice of bread into the egg mixture and lightly press down to coat both sides.
Melt the butter in the skillet. Transfer the slice of bread to the skillet and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown. Repeat with the rest of the bread slices.
Serve immediately with powdered sugar, butter, and/or maple syrup, if desired.
- I recommend using a thick bread for the toast, such as Texas toast or challah, as it holds up the egg mixture better than regular bread.
- Be sure to buy pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling, otherwise your french toast will turn out overly sweet!
- When you start cooking your french toast, it may take 4 or 5 minutes per side to get golden brown depending on how much you heat your pan first. As the pan gets hotter, it will take slightly less time.
- Want something a bit more decadent? Try using half and half to replace the milk.
- Don’t want your french toast too sweet? Simply omit the brown sugar from the egg mixture.
- Switch up the toppings for different flavor combos! Try it with caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, or even a fresh scoop of whipped cream.
Perfect to serve with a dusting of powdered sugar, some butter, and a good drizzle of maple syrup, you’ll be whipping up this pumpkin breakfast all year long!
Looking for more easy fall recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Pumpkin White Chocolate Pie
- Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Caramel White Hot Chocolate
- Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cobbler
did you make and love this recipe? give it your review below and make sure to follow along with me on facebook and instagram to get other great recipe ideas!
Pumpkin Spice French Toast
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup milk, any kind (I used 2%)
- ½ cup pure pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste, or vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 10 slices thick bread, such as Texas toast or challah
- Butter for skillet
- Preheat electric griddle or non-stick skillet over medium heat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, pumpkin, light brown sugar, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon. Pour into a shallow baking dish to dip the bread, if needed.
- Dip bread into egg mixture and lightly press down to coat both sides.
- Melt butter in skillet. Transfer bread to skillet and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown. Repeat with rest of bread slices.
- Serve immediately with powdered sugar, butter, and/or maple syrup, if desired.