Loaded with fluffy eggs, sausage bites, hash brown potatoes, and cheese, this tasty Sausage and Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole comes together in minutes and is sure to be a favorite dish!
**August 2017 update! This recipe was originally posted in September 2014. i decided that the photos desperately needed updating, so i reshot the recipe (but still kept the ingredient list and directions the same). i also kept the original post/story below that i wrote three summers ago!**
During finals week of my freshman year of college, my dorm served special themed meals in the cafeteria. The dinner hours were extended to accommodate those students who studied for their exams late into the night. I always looked forward to those dinners because the food seemed slightly better than the regular meals that were normally served. And my favorite meal was always breakfast for dinner.
Eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, biscuits and gravy, and hash browns were just a few of the foods that made its way onto the cafeteria counters. My dorm went all out with the breakfast foods, and it showed by the amount of students that were always lined up to sample the breakfast.
Although I usually filled my plate several breakfast items, the one dish that I always took an extra serving of was their egg and sausage casserole. It was filled with scrambled eggs, cheese, potatoes and sausage. Basically all of my favorite breakfast foods, combined into one, which is probably why I loved it so much.
So in an effort to recreate my dorm’s favorite dish, I’m excited to share with you my delicious Sausage and Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole. Loaded with fluffy eggs, sausage bites, hash brown potatoes, red peppers, and cheese, this tasty casserole comes together in minutes and is sure to be a breakfast favorite.
Just like my Cheesy Egg and Hash Brown Cups, this Sausage and Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole combines hearty ingredients and is a breeze to whip up. You can even prep it the night before and bake it in the morning, or serve it later on for a savory dinner.
To start, I browned the sausage and set that aside. I then sauteed some red peppers and garlic for added flavor. Whisk up some eggs with milk and cheese, throw in your red pepper mixture, sausage, and frozen potatoes, and stir to combine. Pour into a dish and bake for about 45 minutes. And voila! Your cheesy and delicious breakfast casserole is ready to serve!
How easy is that?! Once you dive into this Sausage and Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole, your taste buds will be thanking you. And because this dish is so versatile, you can customize it depending on your tastes.
So the next time you want a fulfilling, yet easy breakfast, try out this casserole! It’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser and knock your socks off!
Looking for more breakfast recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Southwest Scramble Tostada
- Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal in a Mug
- Nutella Stuffed Pancake Bites
- Easy Breakfast Quesadillas
Sausage and Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
- 1 pound ground sausage I used mild, Italian sausage
- 1 red pepper diced
- 2 garlic cloves, miced or 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup milk any kind
- ½ (32 ounce) bag of frozen hash brown potatoes
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 3-quart baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, cook sausage until browned and crumbled. Drain, pour into a large bowl, and set aside.
- In the same pan, cook the pepper and garlic for about 5 minutes, or until tender. Add vegetables to sausage mixture.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, garlic powder, cheese, salt, and pepper. Add in potatoes and stir thoroughly.
- Pour egg and potato mixture in with sausage and mix well. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and top with additional cheese, if desired.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake for another 20-25 minutes, or until potatoes are browned. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.