Homemade Breakfast Hot Pockets are fast, easy and perfect for busy mornings. Fluffy scrambled eggs, crisp bacon and cheddar cheese are wrapped in flaky puff pastry and baked until golden. Freezer-friendly and easy to grab ‘n go!
Homemade Breakfast Hot Pockets
Easy breakfast ideas are a favorite around here.
Specifically, breakfast ideas with eggs. These breakfast quesadillas, this bacon and tomato frittata, and this breakfast pizza is on repeat in my kitchen. Not only do I love eggs, but the hubster does, too.
I’m excited to showcase my latest dish, these incredibly easy and oh-so delicious breakfast pockets. With school almost back in session (in one way or another), this is the best back-to-school breakfast to keep those kiddos full and focused.
This homemade hot pocket recipe is filled with scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, and melty cheese, all wrapped up in flaky puff pastry. It’s a convenient, grab ‘n go breakfast that is perfect for just about any time. Plus, it ready in just 30 minutes!
Like most of my recipes, these bacon, egg and cheese hot pockets are so easy to make. In fact, you just need a handful of ingredients to put this together.
Ingredients needed for Breakfast Hot Pockets:
Just a few ingredients is all it takes to make this puff pastry breakfast pocket!
- Unsalted butter
- Salt & Pepper
- Frozen puff pastry (thawed)
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Garlic powder for topping (if desired)
How to make Homemade Hot Pockets:
- To start, preheat the oven and line two large baking pans with parchment paper.
- Whisk some eggs, milk, salt and pepper and then scramble until cooked through.
- Gently unfold both (thawed) puff pastry sheets onto a sheet of parchment paper or lightly floured surface (so sheets don’t stick). Cut each rectangle into four even squares.
- Evenly distribute the scrambled eggs onto the bottom half of each square, followed by chopped bacon, and shredded cheese. Fold the top part over the filling and use a fork to crimp the edges shut, forming a pocket.
- Lightly brush each square with an egg wash (one egg and water whisked) so that they bake up golden. Sprinkle some garlic powder on top for extra flavor, if desired.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until pockets are golden, and serve immediately.
How long to bake hot pockets:
You want to bake this hot pocket recipe for about 15 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crispy.
Can I freeze homemade hot pockets?
Simply let them cool to room temperature and then store in a freezer-safe container or ziploc bag for up to three months. When ready to eat, let thaw in the refrigerator and then reheat in the microwave.
Variations of Breakfast Pockets with Puff Pastry:
- Switch up the meat! Swap out the bacon for ground sausage, turkey, or chicken.
- Add some veggies! Diced bell peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms or onions would make a delicious addition.
- Use a different cheese! Mozzarella, swiss, or even feta would make these pockets extra tasty.
- Add some sauce to the pockets before baking or as a dipping sauce! Guacamole, salsa, sriracha or even ketchup would pair well.
Tips for making breakfast hot pockets:
- In order to keep the thawed puff pastry from sticking, line your counter or a large baking pan with parchment paper. If you don’t have parchment paper, lightly flour surface and then place puff pastry onto it.
- Be sure not to overfill each pocket, as you don’t want the filling to ooze out when preparing or baking.
- For extra flavor, sprinkle the tops of each pocket with garlic powder before baking.
Looking for egg dishes for breakfast? I’ve got you covered!
- Breakfast Sliders
- Baked Eggs with Rosemary & Thyme
- Turkey Egg Cups
- Sausage & Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
- Cheesy Egg and Hash Brown Cups
Homemade Breakfast Hot Pocket
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 5 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk any kind
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 box (17.3 ounce) frozen puff pastry thawed
- 5 strips cooked bacon chopped
- ¾ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon water
- Garlic powder for topping if desired
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line two large baking pans with parchment paper or lightly grease with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour into buttered skillet and cook until scrambled. Set aside.
- Line your counter with a sheet of parchment paper; or lightly flour counter or other flat surface so puff pastry doesn't stick. Gently unroll both sheets of puff pastry and cut both rectangles into four squares (so you end up with 8 squares total).
- Evenly distribute scrambled eggs onto the bottom half of each sqaure, followed by chopped bacon, and shredded cheese. Fold the top part of each square over the filling and press down with a fork to crimp the edges shut. Lightly pierce the top of each pocket with a fork to let steam escape. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add egg and water. Gently whisk to combine. Brush tops of pockets with egg wash. Sprinkle garlic powder on top for extra flavor, if desired. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until pockets are golden brown.
- To freeze, let pockets cool to room temperature and then store in a freezer-safe container or ziploc bag for up to three months. When ready to serve, let thaw in the refrigerator and then reheat in the microwave.
- See my tips and tricks for making these Breakfast Hot Pockets above the recipe box.