Southwest Chicken and Rice Bowls
These Southwest Chicken and Rice Bowls are packed with flavor and perfect for weeknight meals. Filled with tender chicken, brown rice, bell peppers, corn, black beans, and a mixture of spices, this zesty dish is simple to prepare and ready in no time!
I’m still in awe that it’s back-to-school time for the kiddos around here. Where has the time gone?
Although it’s still officially summer for about another month, I can’t help but think about all of the things that get me excited about fall. And when I think of fall, I always think of going back to school, even though my school days are long behind me.
Besides everything apples and pumpkin, I love creating easy dinner ideas. But, you already knew that, right? I’m all about the simple recipes around here, and when back-to-school time hits, I love sharing some meal solutions for those busy parents or working adults.
And even if you don’t have any kids, we could all use a few more easy dinner ideas in our life, right?
Southwest-inspired anything is a favorite of mine, so I knew these chicken rice bowls would be devoured in no time. The ingredients are fresh, simple and full of flavor. This dish also makes the perfect leftovers for back-to-school lunches. What could be better?
Quick, easy, and jam-packed with a southwestern flair, these Southwest Chicken and Rice Bowls are bursting with fresh ingredients and made for busy nights. So grab those ingredients and become the star of the dinner table!
Ingredients for Southwest Chicken & Rice Bowls
The flavors in these Southwest Chicken and Rice Bowls are what makes this dish extra delicious. The spices from the taco seasoning, punch of flavor from the ro-tel tomatoes, and the fresh veggies make this a meal time (and back-to-school time) winner.
Here’s what you’ll need to make the southwest bowls:
- Brown rice
- Olive oil
- Chicken breasts
- Taco seasoning
- Bell peppers
- Black beans
- Ro-tel diced tomatoes with green chiles
- Fresh cilantro
How to Make Southwest Chicken & Rice Bowls
Besides the delicious taste, these bowls are a breeze to whip! Thanks to the ease of rice, you can prepare the rice and then let it sit while cooking the chicken and veggies. Once everything is ready, toss it all together and get ready to be wowed.
Prepare brown rice according to package directions. Set aside.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and chicken, then sprinkle with taco seasoning. Cook chicken until browned and cooked through. Remove to a separate plate.
In the same skillet, add the bell peppers. Sauté until tender. Add corn, black beans, ro-tel tomatoes, and cilantro.
Add prepared rice, chicken, and additional taco seasoning. Let simmer until heated through.
Spoon into bowls and top with more cilantro, if desired. Serve immediately.
Can I Use Chicken Thighs?
Yes! The cook time may differ slightly, but chicken thighs will work well here too. You could also use ground chicken, if desired.
Can I Omit the Beans?
Yes, you’re welcome to omit the beans or swap in your favorite variety.
Tips for Making Chicken and Rice Bowls
- For a spicier southwest chicken bowl, use spicy taco seasoning and / or spicy ro-tel.
- Fresh or frozen corn works in this recipe. Just chuck it straight into the skillet!
- You can jazz up your bowls with extra toppings, if desired. Sour cream, shredded cheese, green onions, and hot sauce would all taste great!
Looking for more chicken and rice recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice
- Chicken and Mushroom Parmesan Rice
- Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry
- Easy Teriyaki Chicken
- Baked Salsa Chicken (great with rice!)
Southwest Chicken and Rice Bowls
- 1 (14 ounce) bag Success® Whole Grain Brown Rice , or about 1¼ cup dry rice of choice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1 envelope (1.25 ounce) taco seasoning, divided
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ½ yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup corn, (fresh or frozen)
- 1 can (15 ounce) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (10 ounce) ro-tel diced tomatoes and green chilies
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Prepare Success® Whole Grain Brown Rice (or other rice) according to package directions. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and chicken. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons taco seasoning. Cook chicken about 3-4 minutes, per side, until browned and cooked through. Remove to a separate plate.
- In the same skillet, add green pepper, red pepper, and yellow pepper. Sauté for about 4-5 minutes, or until tender. Add more olive oil, if needed. Add corn, black beans, ro-tel tomatoes, and cilantro to skillet. Stir to combine.
- Add prepared rice, chicken, and rest of taco seasoning. Stir to combine and let simmer for 3-4 minutes, or until heated through. Remove from heat.
- Spoon into bowls and top with more cilantro, if desired. Serve immediately.