Strawberries and Cream Oatmeal is a deliciously simple way to start your day. With just a few ingredients and ready in minutes, this sweet and creamy oatmeal will keep you going all morning long!
Strawberries and Cream Oatmeal
I’ve mentioned this before, but I never used to be a big fan of oatmeal.
Instant oatmeal always smelled good to me, but once I had a bite, that was it. I could never finish a bowl…too plain for my liking. And homemade oatmeal? I never actually tried it until I became a food blogger. I started with baked oatmeal, like this banana bread oatmeal and that blueberry baked oatmeal. And, friends, I was hooked.
After that, I experimented with overnight oats (these apple pie oats and cake batter overnight oats are my favorite), along with plenty of easy oatmeal recipes. After all, easy breakfast recipes are in full force around here.
Homemade oatmeal, with simple ingredients and lots of flavor is what made me an oatmeal lover. This strawberries and cream oatmeal recipe is easy to whip up and perfect for busy weekday mornings.
Not only is this strawberry oatmeal hearty, but it’s creamy, packed with fresh strawberries, and a deliciously sweet way to start you day. If you’ve got 10 minutes to spare, then this easy stovetop oatmeal was made for you.
How to Make Strawberries and Cream Oatmeal:
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk until boiling. You can use water or a dairy-free alternative, though the texture and taste might not be as creamy.
- Once the milk comes to a boil, stir in some old-fashioned oats, diced strawberries, and salt. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until tender and creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the oatmeal from heat and stir in some vanilla bean paste, if desired. Top the strawberry cream oatmeal with some fresh strawberries, and a touch of milk (or heavy cream for richness).
Is Strawberries and Cream Oatmeal Good for You?
Absolutely! By making homemade oatmeal, you control exactly what goes into this recipe. By using old-fashioned oats, fresh strawberries, and milk, you’re getting a good dose of whole grains, protein and calcium.
Can I use Frozen Fruit in Oatmeal?
Yes! Fresh or frozen fruit works well with these strawberry oats since you will be cooking the oats on the stovetop.
Is Oatmeal Healthy?
Oats are said to be one of the healthiest grains on earth. They’re a gluten-free whole grain and a good source of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants. It makes for a delicious breakfast idea!
What is the difference between rolled oats and old-fashioned oats?
Just the name! Rolled oats, also known as old-fashioned oats, are oat groats that have gone through a steaming and flattening process. They have a milder flavor and softer texture and take less time to make than steel-cut oats.
Variations of Stovetop Strawberry Oatmeal:
- Add some more fruit! Sliced bananas or blueberries would be a delicious addition to strawberries.
- Add some honey, pure maple sugar, or granulated sugar for added sweetness!
- Swap out the vanilla extract for almond extract!
- Add some chia seeds for an omega-3 boost!
Looking for more oatmeal recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- Savory Oatmeal Breakfast Bowl
- Glazed Apple Oatmeal Cookies
Strawberries and Cream Oatmeal
- ¾ cup milk while you can use water or a plant-based milk, the results might not be as creamy
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 4 strawberries, chopped plus more for topping, if desired
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- Honey, maple syrup, or granulated sugar to sweeten if desired
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk until boiling.
- Add oats, strawberries, and salt. Stir to combine and then lower heat and simmer until tender and creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Spoon into a bowl and top with additional strawberries and more milk (or heavy cream for richness).
- This oatmeal is not overly sweet. Feel free to add honey, agave, maple syrup or sugar to sweeten to taste.
- See my tips and tricks for making this Strawberries and Cream Oatmeal above the recipe box.