Air Fryer Chicken Breast is tender, juicy, and perfectly seasoned. Crispy on the outside and moist on the inside, this easy recipe is ready in just 20 minutes!
Air Fryer Chicken Breast
I finally did it.
I bought an air fryer, friends!
I’ve been debating on buying one for over a year and finally took the plunge last summer. And, let me tell you, it was worth the wait. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I love my air fryer and how versatile it is. I’ve been experimenting with different recipes and decided to debut a classic favorite…air fryer chicken.
This air fryer chicken breast recipe is about as good as it gets. And I don’t say that lightly.
I’m not overly fond of chicken unless it’s loaded with flavor, in a pasta, a cream sauce, or casserole. But chicken on its own? I usually opt for chicken thighs because it has more flavor.
But, when you put chicken breasts in the air fryer and throw in some seasonings, something magical happens.
Lightly crisp on the outside, tender, moist and juicy on the inside. The oven just quite doesn’t measure up to what an air fryer can do with chicken.
Chicken seems to dry out quickly in the oven, but with an air fryer, it remains tender and oh-so juicy.
What’s So Great About an Air Fryer?
Because an air fryer uses convection heat, the temperature does not need to be set as high as it would be for an oven. It uses hot air that rapidly circulates to cook more evenly (the bottom of the basket has vents) and quicker than your usual oven.
It also uses less oils to make foods crisp due to the circulating hot air. When cooking foods in the air fryer, I use little to no oil at all, which is a healthier way to prepare food.
Ingredients in Air Fryer Chicken:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Seasonings: Oregano, paprika, garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
How to Make the Best Air Fryer Chicken Breast:
Preheat air fryer to 390°F.
Brush each side of chicken lightly with olive oil. Set aside.
In a small bowl, add oregano, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Sprinkle evenly over both sides of each chicken breast.
Place chicken breasts in air fryer basket and set timer for seven minutes and cook. When timer goes off, flip each chicken breast, set timer for another 7 minutes, and cook. **Cooking times will vary, depending on size of chicken breasts. It is best to check using a meat thermometer for an internal temperature of 165°F**
Remove chicken to a plate and let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. This ensures the chicken remains juicy.
How Long Do You Cook Chicken in the Air Fryer?
I find that cooking these boneless chicken breasts at 390°F for about 14 minutes is a good amount of time. Of course, it depends on the thickness and size of your chicken, but it should be ready in less than 15 minutes. Using a meat thermometer to ensure the temperature reads 165°F is a great way to check for doneness.
How Do You Know When Chicken is Done Cooking?
The best way to tell is to insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken breast and make sure it reads 165°F.
Is it Important to Let the Chicken Rest When Done Cooking?
Yes! I know it may seem tedious, as your probably ready to chow down, but letting your chicken (or any meat) rest for 5-7 minutes after cooking will allow the juices to redistribute themselves throughout the meat, result in that juicy, moist texture.
Meal Prep for Air Fryer Chicken Breasts:
If you want to make this chicken breast recipe ahead of time, follow these tips for chicken that’s ready to go!
- Place chicken in a large, sealable bag and add olive oil and seasonings. Seal bag and toss to coat chicken with olive oil mixture, then place in the refrigerator for up to one day before cooking.
- Make these air fryer chicken breasts at the beginning of the week to use for lunches and a variety of dishes:
- Make the chicken, let cool completely, and then store in a freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to three months.
Tips for Making the Juiciest Air Fryer Chicken:
- While you don’t need much oil, a drizzle (or spray) of olive oil on the chicken before seasoning will help to make the skin crisp and ensure the seasonings stay on when cooking.
- Be sure not to overlap the chicken in the air fryer basket. You want any food you’re cooking to remain in a single layer so that the air will circulate and cook evenly.
- If your chicken breasts are thin, cook for 2-3 minutes less than what is listed in the recipe directions and then check for doneness.
- Be sure to let that chicken rest before slicing and serving for optimal juiciness.
Looking for More Easy Chicken Recipes? I’ve Got You Covered!
- Honey Garlic Chicken Legs
- Chicken Broccoli Stuffing Casserole
- Easy Teriyaki Chicken
- One Pan Chicken and Garlic Parmesan Rice
- Easy Baked Chicken Tenders
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken
Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- 4 medium to large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika (smoked paprika can also be used in place of regular)
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat air fryer to 390°F. Brush each side of chicken lightly with olive oil. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add oregano, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Sprinkle evenly over both sides of each chicken breast.
- Place chicken breasts in air fryer basket and set timer for seven minutes and cook. When timer goes off, flip each chicken breast, set timer for another 7 minutes, and cook. **Cooking times will vary, depending on size of chicken breasts. It is best to check using a meat thermometer for an internal temperature of 165°F**
- Remove chicken to a plate and let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. This ensures the chicken remains juicy.
- Recipe was tested using my 5.8 QT Air Fryer. Cooking time may vary depending on the size of your chicken and air fryer.
- Chicken will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
- Chicken can also be made 1-2 days in advance and kept in the refrigerator for easy meals.