This Eggnog French Toast Bake with Caramel is an easy, make-ahead holiday recipe. Filled with fluffy bread that is soaked overnight in a mixture of eggnog and spices, this casserole bakes up warm and golden. Bursting with cozy flavors, it’s the best Christmas breakfast!
When the holiday season rolls around, I go into a Christmas movie overdrive.
I’ve watched Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, A Christmas Story, Prancer, and Elf more times than I care to admit over a single holiday season. And that’s just naming a few.
I love those cheesy Lifetime and Hallmark Channel movies (please don’t judge), and always tune in to ABC Family Channel if a good movie is showing.
And Christmas music? I listen to that before Thanksgiving. There’s a radio station in my area that will start playing Christmas music 24/7, through Christmas day, and that starts about two weeks before Thanksgiving. So I get my fill of “All I Want For Christmas” and “Santa Baby”.
What can I say? Since I work from home and am either sitting in front of my computer or whipping up goodies in the kitchen, I love to have some background noise to entertain me.
But when I tasted this Eggnog French Toast Bake, all thoughts of Christmas movies left my mind and it was just me and this delicious dish. That’s right, this breakfast launched me into a savory and sweet state of mind.
What Makes This Eggnog French Toast Bake So Fantastic:
- This eggnog french toast casserole is a favorite of mine. It’s deliciously sweet, comforting, and full of festive flavors.
- It makes the perfect Christmas morning breakfast. Simply prepare this dish the night before and pop it in the oven in the morning.
- The top is swirled with caramel, which gives it an extra special touch of sweetness and warmth.
How To Make Eggnog French Toast Bake:
- Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, eggnog, heavy whipping cream, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
Place 1/2 of the bread cubes on the bottom of the baking dish. Top with 1/4 cup of caramel sauce. Add the rest of the bread cubes on top.
Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes, making sure to cover each piece with the mixture. Lightly press down on the bread to ensure that each piece is saturated.
Cover the dish with plastic wrap and/or a lid and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Remove the plastic wrap and/or cover and top with 1/4 cup caramel sauce.
Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until bread is firm and no more liquid remains. Remove the dish from the oven and top with extra caramel sauce, if desired.
- If the caramel sauce is too thick to pour over the bread, warm it slightly in the microwave in a microwave-safe dish, then try pouring it.
- Whisk the eggs together first before putting in the other ingredients. Then you’ll know how well they’re combined, otherwise the other ingredients will mask any larger egg pieces.
- Let the dish warm up for 10 to 15 minutes when taking it out of the refrigerator and before putting it in the oven. Otherwise you run the risk of cracking your dish due to the sudden change in temperature.
- Add a little crunch to this recipe by placing 1/2 cup chopped nuts in the middle layer with the caramel! Pecans or hazelnuts would work well.
- Lighten this dish up a bit by using reduced fat eggnog and half and half instead of heavy whipping cream.
- Try different types of bread! A brioche bread would work well, or challah bread.
One bite of this Eggnog French Toast Bake with Caramel and you will have found your new favorite breakfast. Filled with warm and cozy flavors, this dish is perfect to serve for your family and friends over the holidays!
Looking for more french toast recipes? I’ve got you covered!
did you make and love this recipe? give it your review below and make sure to follow along with me on facebook and instagram to get other great recipe ideas!
Eggnog French Toast Bake with Caramel
- 1 loaf French bread cut into cubes
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups eggnog
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup caramel sauce divided
- Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, eggnog, heavy whipping cream, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Place 1/2 of bread cubes on bottom of baking dish. Top with 1/4 cup of caramel sauce. Add rest of bread cubes on top.
- Pour egg mixture over bread, making sure to cover each piece with the mixture. Lightly press down on bread to ensure that each piece is saturated.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375F.
- Remove cover and top with 1/4 cup caramel sauce.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until bread is firm and no more liquid remains. Remove from oven and top with extra caramel sauce, if desired.