Easy Cheeseburger Soup
Easy Cheeseburger Soup is thick, creamy, and loaded with deliciousness. With the classic flavors of your favorite cheeseburger, this simple soup is the ultimate comfort dish!
Easy Cheeseburger Soup
It’s soup season!
Oh, who am I kidding… every month calls for soup around here. It’s one of my favorite foods and I eat it weekly. I’m not embarrassed to admit that I often grab the canned kind for convenience, but on the weekends, it’s all about those homemade soups. Broth-based or a creamy version, I’m not picky!
If you’re looking for some comfort soups, then you’ve got to check out this pesto chicken noodle soup, that one pot lasagna soup, or this easy cream of mushroom soup.
Since the cool weather is here, I thought now would be the perfect time to showcase this cheeseburger soup recipe. It’s loaded with all of the flavors of a cheeseburger, but in a creamy, comforting soup.
This cheesy soup is thick, creamy, and filled with tender ground beef, potatoes, carrots, and savory seasons. It’s like a hug in a bowl and perfect for when you’re craving a hearty dish. And best of all, this easy cheeseburger soup is made in one pot and ready in no time.
How about that for an easy soup recipe?
Easy Cheeseburger Soup Ingredients:
- Ground beef
- Unsalted butter
- Sweet onion
- Russet potatoes
- Chicken broth
- Garlic powder
- Dried basil
- Dried oregano
- Dried paprika
- Dried parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
How to make Cheeseburger Soup:
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, brown and crumble ground beef until no longer pink. Drain and remove to a separate plate.
- In the same pot, melt some butter and sauté onions and carrots until tender, about 8-10 minutes. Add diced potatoes, chicken broth, and spices. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Add ground beef, milk, and sour cream to soup. Stir to combine and adjust seasonings, if needed.
- Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheese until melted. Garnish and enjoy!
Cheeseburger Soup Variations:
- There are so many variations of this easy soup recipe, so it’s perfect to customize depending on your tastes.
- You can make this cheeseburger soup with pickles or without pickles.
- Don’t want potatoes in your soup? You can skip them entirely and make this cheeseburger soup without potatoes.
- Whip up an easy bacon cheeseburger soup by adding some cooked bacon to the base and/or topping.
- Looking to make keto cheeseburger soup? You can ditch the potatoes and milk and instead use heavy cream and/or cream cheese in its place.
- If you don’t want to use russet potatoes, you can make this cheeseburger soup with hash browns or noodles instead.
- Want the base to be cheesier? Swap out the shredded cheddar cheese for Velveeta cubes.
Can you make Cheeseburger Soup in a slow cooker?
- You sure can! Simply place the veggies and spices in a slow cooker, add the chicken broth, and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours until vegetables are tender.
- About 10 minutes before the veggies are done, brown and crumble ground beef in a large skillet. Drain and then add to slow cooker.
- Turn off slow cooker and stir in milk and sour cream. Adjust seasonings, if needed. Stir in shredded cheddar cheese until melted.
Can you freeze Cheeseburger soup?
Absolutely! While the texture may be a bit different once frozen because of the milk and sour cream, it can be done. Let soup cool to room temperature and then place in a freezer-safe container for up to two months.
What toppings can I add to Cheeseburger Soup?
The possibilities are endless! Add some crumbled bacon, sliced pickles, chopped tomatoes and/or onions, a drizzle of ketchup and/or mustard, or some chives for a fun ‘cheeseburger’ taste.
Tips for the best Cheeseburger Soup:
- When browning the ground beef, keeping some bigger chunks intact, as that will help enhance the texture of eating a ‘burger.’
- If you have some leftover hamburgers, feel free to use that in place of browning ground beef. Simply break up the hamburgers into small chunks and add to the soup when pouring in the milk and sour cream.
- I like to shred my own block of cheddar cheese for this recipe. While you can use the bagged kind, shredding your own cheese using a grater will result in a creamier texture.
- While I like using real cheese in this soup, Velveeta cheese can be used instead to maintain a creamier texture.
- If you don’t have sour cream, cream cheese will work as a replacement.
Need easy soups to make? I’ve got you covered!
- French Onion Soup
- Creamy Mushroom and Spinach Tortellini Soup
- Easy Black Bean Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Mushroom Barley Soup
- Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup
Easy Cheeseburger Soup
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ sweet onion, diced
- ½ cup thinly sliced carrots
- 2-3 russet potatoes, peeled and diced, about 3 cups
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1-1 ½ cups milk , any kind (I used 2%)
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Toppings: chopped bacon, tomatoes, green onions, shredded cheese
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, brown and crumble ground beef until no longer pink. Drain and remove beef to a separate plate. Set aside.
- Wipe pot, if needed. Melt butter in pot over medium heat and then add onions and carrots. Sauté until tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- To the pot, add potatoes, chicken broth, basil, oregano, paprika, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir and bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add ground beef, milk (start with one cup and add more, if needed), and sour cream. Stir and adjust seasonings, if needed. Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheese until melted.
- Garnish with additional toppings before serving, if desired.
- Want to turn this into a slow cooker version? See my tips above for directions!
- See my tips and tricks for making this Easy Cheeseburger Soup above the recipe box.