This Mushroom Barley Soup is packed with flavor and is ready in just 30 minutes. Featuring tender mushrooms and barley in a rich and creamy broth, this soup is perfect for busy weeknights!
Mushroom Barley Soup
My Grandma was the best cook.
I know, I know…you’re probably thinking, “My Grandma was the best cook!” Am I right?
But, my Grandma really was the best cook. Ok, I’ll stop now. Let’s just all agree that most Grandma’s are the best in the kitchen.
Whenever I make soup, I’m always reminded of how delicious my Grandma’s soups were. She made a decadent chicken noodle soup from scratch, savory split pea soup and few others that were just as good. And although I could probably make her soups using the exact same recipe, it just wouldn’t taste the same. Know what I mean?
And that’s ok. I’ve come to accept that my cooking will never be quite as good as my Grandma’s, because you know, my Grandma was the best cook ever. And so was your Grandma, right?
Since we all know how much I love soup, it seemed fitting that I share with you my second soup recipe of today’s 30 Minute Thursday installment. And since you also know how much I love mushrooms, this dish just screamed “Gayle” to me.
Did I mention that this soup is ready in just 30 minutes? From start to finish, you can have a savory, steaming bowl of soup ready for you lunch or dinner. Because I used quick-cooking barley, all of the ingredients get mixed together until it’s ready to be devoured.
And the mushrooms. Let’s not forget the mushrooms! I used baby bella mushrooms because I love their bold flavor and dark color. It pairs perfectly with this creamy broth and diced carrots, too.
I can’t take credit for this entire recipe, as I adapted it from a Taste of Home magazine edition from last year. I did change the broth to make it more flavorful, though. And that’s something that I also did with my cream of mushroom soup, which makes it extra special. Using beef broth seems to make soups stand out even more, which is why this Mushroom Barley Soup is oh-so good.
And because the weather is still cold (hurry up, spring!) and I crave soup ALL the time, this Mushroom Barley Soup definitely hit the spot. So if you’re in the mood for a savory, 30 minute meal, then this soup was made for you. Easy to make and even better to eat, you’ll be whipping up this soup over and over again!
Looking for more 30 minute meals? I’ve got you covered!
- BBQ Chicken Quesadilla
- Baked Ham and Cheese Roll-ups
- One Pan Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
- Creamy Ground Beef Pasta
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
Mushroom Barley Soup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ¼ cup diced carrots
- ½ white onion diced
- 1 pound fresh baby bella mushrooms sliced
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups beef broth
- ¾ cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a medium soup pot or saucepan, heat butter over medium heat until melted. Add carrots, onions, and mushrooms. Sauté until tender, for about 5 minutes.
- Add dried thyme, beef broth, and barley and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes, or until barley is tender.
- While soup is simmering, whisk flour, milk, salt and pepper in a small bowl until smooth.
- Stir flour mixture into soup and return to a boil. Stir constantly and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Photos updated 1/25/2021