This Mushroom Barley Soup is packed with flavor and is ready in just 30 minutes. Featuring tender mushrooms and barley in a rich and creamy broth, this soup is perfect for busy weeknights!
My Grandma was the best cook.
I know, I know…you’re probably thinking, “My Grandma was the best cook!” Am I right?
But, my Grandma really was the best cook. Ok, I’ll stop now. Let’s just all agree that most Grandma’s are the best in the kitchen.
Whenever I make soup, I’m always reminded of how delicious my Grandma’s soups were. She made a decadent chicken noodle soup from scratch, savory split pea soup, and a few others that were just as good. And although I could probably make her soups using the exact same recipe, it just wouldn’t taste the same. Know what I mean?
And that’s ok. I’ve come to accept that my cooking will never be quite as good as my Grandma’s, because you know, my Grandma was the best cook ever. And so was your Grandma, right?
Since we all know how much I love soup, it seemed fitting that I share with you my second soup recipe of today’s 30-Minute Thursday installment. And since you also know how much I love mushrooms, this dish just screamed “Gayle” to me.
I can’t take credit for this entire recipe, as I adapted it from a Taste of Home magazine edition from last year.
I did change the broth to make it more flavorful, though. And that’s something that I also did with my cream of mushroom soup, which makes it extra special. Using beef broth seems to make soups stand out even more, which is why this Mushroom Barley Soup is oh-so good.
And because the weather is still cold (hurry up, spring!) and I crave soup ALL the time, this Mushroom Barley Soup definitely hit the spot. So if you’re in the mood for a savory, 30-minute meal, then this soup was made for you.
Easy to make and even better to eat, you’ll be whipping up this soup over and over again!
Ingredients for Mushroom Barley Soup
This creamy mushroom barley soup has a short ingredients list, which makes it even easier to prepare. Here’s what goes into this easy mushroom soup:
- Unsalted butter
- White onion
- Baby Bella mushrooms
- Dried thyme
- Beef broth
- Quick-cooking barley
- All-purpose flour
- 2% milk
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Mushroom Barley Soup
Did I mention that this soup is ready in just 30 minutes? From start to finish, you can have a savory, steaming bowl of soup ready for you lunch or dinner.
Because I used quick-cooking barley, all of the ingredients get mixed together until it’s ready to be devoured.
Heat butter over medium heat until melted. Add carrots, onions, and mushrooms. Sauté until tender, for about 5 minutes.
Add dried thyme, beef broth, and barley and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until barley is tender.
While soup is simmering, whisk flour, milk, salt and pepper in a small bowl until smooth.
Stir flour mixture into soup and return to a boil. Stir constantly and cook until thickened.
Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Can This Recipe Be Made in a Slow Cooker?
I’ve never made this in the slow cooker, so I really can’t say how it would turn out. I imagine you’d need to cook the soup on low for a couple hours.
Personally, I’d wait to add the mushrooms and the flour mixture until the last 1 to 2 hours of cooking. Maybe even crank the heat to high for that last hour — but I can’t say for sure!
Can I Use Regular Barley?
Yes, I imagine you could. However, I always use quick-cooking barley so you’ll have to use your best judgement if adding regular barley.
Tips for Making Mushroom and Barley Soup
- I used baby bella mushrooms because I love their bold flavor and dark color. However, you may use any mushrooms you’d like.
- Between the 2% milk and the flour mixture, this mushroom and barley soup ends up being thick and creamy. However, you’re welcome to swap in a little heavy cream for some of the milk if desired.
- This soup keeps well in the fridge for up to 5 days. Because it contains so much dairy, it doesn’t freeze well.
Looking for More Quick Soup Recipes?
I have tons of soup recipes on my site already, but here are a few of my favorites:
- One-Pot Chicken Fajita Soup
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- One-Pot Lasagna Soup
- Creamy Mushroom and Spinach Tortellini Soup
- Slow Cooker Pizza Chili
Mushroom Barley Soup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ¼ cup diced carrots
- ½ white onion diced
- 1 pound fresh baby bella mushrooms sliced
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups beef broth
- ¾ cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a medium soup pot or saucepan, heat butter over medium heat until melted. Add carrots, onions, and mushrooms. Sauté until tender, for about 5 minutes.
- Add dried thyme, beef broth, and barley and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes, or until barley is tender.
- While soup is simmering, whisk flour, milk, salt and pepper in a small bowl until smooth.
- Stir flour mixture into soup and return to a boil. Stir constantly and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Photos updated 1/25/2021